How is everyone liking the LG Optimus G phone? (G2 in mind)

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Sprint and my upgrade hit July 1, 2013. I kind of passed on the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy 4. I wanted to know how the LG series is with the Optimus G because I'm REALLY thinking of getting the G2 with the rumored 800 processor. Any thoughts and opinions welcomed.

Thank you my friends!

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I like my G. I have my complaints but they are of personal preferences more than of the phone itself. The phone feels a lot larger than my Nexus, SG3 or any of my other phones (even though it's not) because it's more squarely built than any of my other phones and I do prefer a small phone but of course you get used to it. I do love that screen and it's incredible responsiveness and color rendition. I buy and sell a lot of phones and the G is one that I will keep because of the UI and responsiveness. The build quality is very good too. It feels a bit heavier and more solid than many other phones.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I like my G. I have my complaints but they are of personal preferences more than of the phone itself. The phone feels a lot larger than my Nexus, SG3 or any of my other phones (even though it's not) because it's more squarely built than any of my other phones and I do prefer a small phone but of course you get used to it. I do love that screen and it's incredible responsiveness and color rendition. I buy and sell a lot of phones and the G is one that I will keep because of the UI and responsiveness. The build quality is very good too. It feels a bit heavier and more solid than many other phones.

I appreciate your response. How about updates? is LG pretty good about Android updates?

klokateer123

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Love this phone. And also looking toward the g2 and the xperia z ultra. Battery life is decent with moderate usage, camera is OK too. The phone it self is quick and very responsive. This phone is a bit slippery without a case though. Just my 2 cents.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non linear, non subjective point of view its more like a ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff." - the Doctor

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your response. How about updates? is LG pretty good about Android updates?

I am on Sprint and LG seems to be one of the best when it comes to updates.

I also think that battery life is pretty good. I can be a heavy user and I am always surprised by how long the battery lasts compared to my SG3, iPhone, SG2, HTC EVO LTE. The only other phone that seems to have better battery life is my BlackBerry 9930 and that may be because I tend to not use a lot of internet or video when I use the BlackBerry.
The camera seems to take good shots and has plenty of options. I do not like that you have to pull out a drawer in order to switch the flash on and off. It takes a bit longer than just toggling through flash options on the screen but it is serviceable. 13 megapixels are nice but unless you plan on enlarging photos larger than 8x10, the 13 megs will not be noticed when compared to an 8 meg. or even a 5 meg. camera.

One of the complaints many have is that there are not a lot of case options for the Optimus G. I have no idea why but not everyone makes a case for that phone. I use a Diztronic slim case to keep things as slim as possible.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Battery is a big thing for me too. I'm coming from a Nexus S 4G so anything I can now will top what I have lol. I can't wait to see more of the G2 in Aug. I wonder when it will be released!?

anon(5804888)

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I love my G. The screen looks great, but I find myself setting brightness high cause it looks so good and running down my battery. The phone is fast, and with the Sprint version, I've got 32G. I love never worrying about too many apps installed like on my old phone.
There has been one major update from Android since I have had the phone. I'm happy with that, but I've read others say the LG is not so good about Android updates.
If I had the money, I'd be getting the G2 when it comes out. I don't, so I won't, but being "stuck" with a G ain't half bad!

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I love my G. The screen looks great, but I find myself setting brightness high cause it looks so good and running down my battery.

Lol, me too. I toggle between 60% and 100%. My gallery app is set to automatically put the screen at full brightness when viewing images.

Between 60% and 75% brightness, battery life is good enough to get me through the day if all I am doing is browsing websites, checking Gmail and/or sending SMS/MMS.

Coming off a single core HTC Inspire, the LGOG is a HUGE improvement. The only thing the HTC had over this phone is a better camera. But I typically have my DSLR with me if I need to get a high quality image of something.

As for updates, well, I've only had this phone a little over two months. Google is likely to announce JB 4.3 next week. We'll have to see how fast it comes to the LGOG. LG made the most recent Nexus phone (which shares a lot of hardware with this one). Maybe getting involved with a Nexus device will prompt the company to update its phones in a timely manner.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S 4G. It's so slow now and just everything about it bothers me lol. Mainly because I'm ready to finally upgrade, I grow more hate for it haha.

I reached that point with my HTC Inspire right before getting this phone in May. Well maybe not hate.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S 4G. It's so slow now and just everything about it bothers me lol. Mainly because I'm ready to finally upgrade, I grow more hate for it haha.

Yeah you have got to get off that phone. I got the Optimus G for $210 off contract, do that while we wait for the tri-band LTE handsets to come out. It is nearly impossible to slow this phone down, such a completely different experience from the NS4G.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sunshine1023

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised by this phone. I was previously using a SG3 and needed to replace it. I saw this phone but hadn't heard much about it so I was unsure about buying it. I was surprised at how fast it was. I actually get better reception on this phone in my area than on the SG3. Glad I decided to purchase it.

Posted via Android Central App

t2igg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just got my LG today. It was way past time to upgrade from my evo shift. I looked at the Galaxy S3 and even considered going with the Note 2 (i think) because I wanted a BIGGER screen and faster processor. The faster processor is what sold me and I liked the looks of the crisp, clean display. I didn't even realize how much internal storage it had, til I got it home. Better than my iphone, for a better price. Still exploring the possibilities of this phone, but so far so good. Reading your opinions helped a lot. Got 14 days to decide, might keep it after all.:D

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I am on Sprint and LG seems to be one of the best when it comes to updates.
What!!!? They released this phone on ICS despite the fact Jelly Bean had been out for absolutely ages.... You'll be extremely lucky if the Optimus G ever see's 4.2.2 or above... the second LG release a new phone they seem to drop all support for their previous handset.

LG has some fantastic hardware and many firsts under its belt.. but if you buy a phone and get 1 MAYBE 2 updates at most... you'll go elsewhere.

jas2743

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
What!!!? They released this phone on ICS despite the fact Jelly Bean had been out for absolutely ages.... You'll be extremely lucky if the Optimus G ever see's 4.2.2 or above... the second LG release a new phone they seem to drop all support for their previous handset.

LG has some fantastic hardware and many firsts under its belt.. but if you buy a phone and get 1 MAYBE 2 updates at most... you'll go elsewhere.

Completely agree here. LG is probably one of the worst for updates, which I know some people will call me dumb for saying this, but will probably make me avoid buying there phones anymore. This phone is absolutely amazing though, besides the update issues.

Posted via Android Central App

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Except that so long as you are running 4.1, you will easily be able to run any app released between now and your next upgrade [i.e. 2 years]. The changes from 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 are NOT ground breaking.

Furthermore, Google has moved to putting the FUNCTIONAL updates in the apps themselves rather than requiring a move to a whole new version of the OS.

Android users have been listening to the media rant on about "fragmentation" for so long, they are starting to drink the Kool-aid.

From my LG Optimus G E970 using AC Forums mobile app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord