How to delete photos from Google only?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got a notice that my Google Photos space was almost full, so I decided to finally clean some of it up. The problem is there are things I want to delete from there while still leaving them on my phone. So far, all the posts if found on the topic around the web say to use the app manager to remove the storage permission (which prevents modifying and deleting files). Those are all old threads and articles, and I'm guessing Google doesn't like us thinking for ourselves anymore. Now when I try to remove the storage permission, it won't even let me get into the app until I grant access again. If I deny it, the app closes out.

Is there still any way to allow deleting files ONLY on the cloud while leaving them on the device? At least a way that isn't stupid convoluted?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Or just make a copies of the photos you want to preserve on your phone and put them in some other directory (like /Pictures), making sure that directory is not set to backup to your cloud. Then delete the photos from Google Photos -- it should delete the cloud copy and the original in /DCIM/Camera, but leave the one in /Pictures alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter