How to Find/Change Update Settings

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
My phone recently started experiencing multiple issues which I asked about in a previous thread and won't rehash now, but may or may not have been the result of updates. I actually called Motorola tonight and they suggested that I likely have my phone set to automatic updates, but I didn't think that's the case. Bottom line: how do I check to see for sure if it IS set to automatic updates, which will also tell me how to prevent them in the future if/when I have to do a factory reset. Thank you.

PS. For the record, Motorola's own tech support could not answer this question. She kept telling me she was looking it up, and eventually I just had to go.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I think what they are trying to tell you is automatic updates of apps in the Play Store. Open the Play Store app and within its Settings menu is the automatic update option

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I think what they are trying to tell you is automatic updates of apps in the Play Store. Open the Play Store app and within its Settings menu is the automatic update option

Well, I don't think they were really trying to tell me anything -- she just didn't seem to have any idea. But, anyway, okay, that's actually something I'm a bit confused about. So ALL updates to android phones, including not just individual apps but the OS itself, are a function of the Play Store and not the phone's Settings menu?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Well, I don't think they were really trying to tell me anything -- she just didn't seem to have any idea. But, anyway, okay, that's actually something I'm a bit confused about. So ALL updates to android phones, including not just individual apps but the OS itself, are a function of the Play Store and not the phone's Settings menu?
Apps update thru the Play Store. Your operating system (OS) updates via over the air (OTA) updates from the manufacturer.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Apps update thru the Play Store. Your operating system (OS) updates via over the air (OTA) updates from the manufacturer.

Okay, good to know. But then the question is, is there a way to control those OTA updates? Those are the ones I think I'm the most worried about.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Not really. When Moto pushes an update for your device it's going to notify you on your phone. You can dismiss the notification, but it will keep re-appearing.

I was a long time Moto forum member (about 10 years). If a Moto agent told you to check "auto updates" then they were talking about the auto update apps option in the Play Store. There is no way to turn off operating system OTA updates completely.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Okay, good to know. But then the question is, is there a way to control those OTA updates? Those are the ones I think I'm the most worried about.
This is with a Moto G6, right? Is it a carrier device (Verizon) or unlocked? If I recall correctly Motorola stopped support for the 6 series, so it's very unlikely that you will be getting more OTA system updates.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
This is with a Moto G6, right? Is it a carrier device (Verizon) or unlocked? If I recall correctly Motorola stopped support for the 6 series, so it's very unlikely that you will be getting more OTA system updates.

Actually, the timing of this comment, and really this thread in general, is kind of interesting. Just a few hours ago I received a call on my phone that was flagged as spam but I picked up anyway. It turned out to be someone claiming to be from Sprint (my original carrier before they merged with T-Mobile) informing me that this 3G will no longer function at the end of next month, and offered to send me a new free Samsung Galaxy compatible with 5G. Assuming this is legitimate, it makes protecting this phone a moot point. Although I'm still glad to have learned more about preventing unwanted updates.