How to fix my headset microphone not being recognised?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The problem occurs on my Android tablet. The headset altogether actually isn't initially detected by Android, I've had to force-switch the audio output. This is successful and that's how I've been doing things for several months, force-switch everytime I plug it in. Using the same app, I've tried switching the input, and it does switch, but nothing is picked up (tried using recorder apps, Discord, Google), like the microphone doesn't exist.

For this reason I keep the internal mic selected for input.

But interestingly, sometimes, when I plug the headset in, or even when I wiggle the jack, it is actually detected by Android. The audio in-/output is switched automatically, and the microphone works. I can tell the exact moment of the switch because the media played is automatically paused, indicating an output switch. When I press on play again, the volume is different, presumably because it's gone from "headphones mode" to "headset mode", which it considers two different devices with two different volume levels.

This is completely unpredictable, and I haven't been able to reproduce the effect with consistency.

I've plugged the headset into other devices and the both the speakers and the mic work, the headset jack, cable and the rest of the hardware are consistent and fine. The microphone is clean.

I've tried cleaning the tablet's headphone jack, to no avail. It wouldn't make sense anyway, if the jack was malfunctioning, the output would also suffer, and I wouldn't hear anything.

I've scoured the web for forum posts and webpages regarding this issue, but it seems no one has experienced, or at least reported the exact situation I am in. I've tried removing microphone permissions from Google Play Services, nothing. I've tried updating the OS to the latest version, hoping they'd patched what was a bug, nothing.
Changed the input mode (telephony, or normal), nothing.

For the record and future Googlers:
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) (SM-T510)
Android 10/Q (T510XXS5BUC4) (Kernel 4.4.177-20709318)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site