How to get text messaging working on Ford Sync

Jacqueline Mcilree

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please help.... I have the samsung S4 and it connects perfectly to my car downloads my phonebook, but when I get a text message it comes up 'unknown' ... does anyone know how I can get it to recognise my contacts?

KenRR

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, I can listen to the text messages and on the screen they say they are from me so I have no way of knowing who they are from, other than the content. When I reply, it just goes back to my phone not the senders phone. If I select send text message and select a contact from my phone book via sync it will send it to them correctly. Have you had any luck with a fix?

Exactly my problem as well. 2012 Ford F-150 Sync version Gen1 - v4.1.4.T which according to Ford is the latest for my vehicle.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Raynewalk

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
You are not alone. I also have this self same problem. Voice calling and receiving works fine and texts come through but they are unknown so I have to start a new text to reply. Mine is a Galaxy S3 with Ford Synch in a Focus ST. Be delighted if anyone has a solution. :confused:

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
2012 Ford F-150 Sync version Gen1 - v4.1.4.T which according to Ford is the latest for my vehicle.

There are later versions, however they are only installable by the dealer. Go to your dealership and tell them about your problem and have them check and install the latest update. I have a 2012 Fusion with Sync Gen1 - 4.2.1.4. This corrects the text problems. All texts come through and say who they are coming from. It also corrects some issues with indexing flash drives supposedly, but it did not really fix them all. I still have indexing problems.

azjoan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung 3 worked fine to text message and receive them until this past Saturday when Sync did an automatic update in my car and now it doesn't work. Very frustrating as it was a cool function. :p

ssarkar13

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Don't be discouraged. I get that same message sometimes too. I just reboot the phone and it works again for a very long time. Must use bluetooth only without the USB connected. My only problem now, is after the new software update for the S5, I don't get the song and artist listings in Pandora. Just keep getting UNKNOWN ARTIST.

psos68000

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
It worked on my 2012 Escape! Horrible menu system though - that's sync for you.
Been trying to get it to work for 3 years but then can't get my mp3 stick to play properly two times in a row either.
Thanks...

2pir

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I have Sync in my 2011 Milan Hybrid. I used to have an old Windows 7 phone and when a text came it, the car would ask me if I wanted to listen to it, and then after it was done, it would ask if I wanted to respond to it. I could then dictate a response and send it, all via voice. Great feature. I just recently got a HTC One M9 which sort of lets me listen to a text (when it wants to), but only has preset responses (which are on the nav screen so you can't really select them when you drive). The Ford Sync people have no clue why this is ("different phones have different specifications - Sync is a neutral system"), although I think it's because I had a Windows phone dsigned by MS, which also designed Sync. Does anybody know if there is an app or fix that would allow voice-to-text response over Sync for an Android phone, or am I stuck with a watered-down text ability?

JennyM75070

Jun 6, 2017
Visit site
I have Sync in my 2011 Milan Hybrid. I used to have an old Windows 7 phone and when a text came it, the car would ask me if I wanted to listen to it, and then after it was done, it would ask if I wanted to respond to it. I could then dictate a response and send it, all via voice. Great feature. I just recently got a HTC One M9 which sort of lets me listen to a text (when it wants to), but only has preset responses (which are on the nav screen so you can't really select them when you drive). The Ford Sync people have no clue why this is ("different phones have different specifications - Sync is a neutral system"), although I think it's because I had a Windows phone dsigned by MS, which also designed Sync. Does anybody know if there is an app or fix that would allow voice-to-text response over Sync for an Android phone, or am I stuck with a watered-down text ability?

Revisited LONG dead thread, but did you ever figure this out? Losing this functionality almost makes me want to go *back* to my old WinPhone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201