How to get text messaging working on Ford Sync

sallee77

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus will not work. The Galaxy S2 and S3 work perfectly.

-- Sent from my Galaxy S3

HI there
I have Ford Focus 2012 and Galaxy S2. Phonebook syncs, text messages sync however they all show as coming from "000000" instead of the contact name or phone number. I cannot reply to any of these messages, when trying the car shows that it's sent however it shows as a failed message on the phone.

Any ideas? I'm not running the stock launcher (using GoLauncher) and my contacts are set up via gmail. wondering if either of these may be cause.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a current bug with the Sync system. They are supposedly working on a fix and that will come with a Sync update. It has nothing to do with your phone. All messages appear that they are coming from yourself and have a really old goofy date.

hightechredneck85

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Worked perfectly for my verizon galaxy S3 and 2012 ford escape. Thanks. It just worked with my moto droid X2 and droid3. I was going to be super bummed if it didn't work with the GS3.

AshtonDM Mayfield

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with Sync touchscreen no nav. and I can not get my S3 to receive text messages. MY Sync does not have the MAP profile nor does it have Advance options. Any assistance with this would be great.

Ashton

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with Sync touchscreen no nav. and I can not get my S3 to receive text messages. MY Sync does not have the MAP profile nor does it have Advance options. Any assistance with this would be great.

Ashton

- - - Updated - - -

Ashton

yankswinagain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
My Droid DNA and 2012 Ford Edge combination doesn't work. It pairs like it should, doesn?t pop an error, but doesn't work.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

slideoil

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got Sync text messages working with my Samsung Galaxy Nexus in my 2013 Taurus SHO. I have the touch screen, but no nav.

To make it work, I had to root my phone and install CM10. CM10.1 did not work. AOKP did not work.

Once CM10 was installed, everything worked as it should. No settings to change on the phone or in the car... it just worked.

syncS3

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain a little clearer. Sorry, I just want to make sure I understand. Do the call and media boxes have to be checked?

"That I may be able to help you with. Click on the bluetooth gear under settings>bluetooth. The unchecked media audio. With media audio on navigation is sent to the radio, but only if you are streaming from your phone. It took me a while to figure that one out. Sometimes I do turn on media, start music to stream, and then turn on nav. Songs will automatically lower and turn by turn plays through speakers - it's pretty cool."

MyFusion

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue described here. Using Sync 3.5.1 (4.29.12285) with a Samsung Galaxy SIII (Adroid 4.1.1), I received the error message "the currently selected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth".

Here are the steps that I used to get it working...
1. Turn off Bluetooth on the S3
2. If the vehicle is on, wait for the phone to be disconnected from the vehicle
3. If not already on, turn on the vehicle ignition
4. Turn on Bluetooth on the S3
5. As soon as Sync is paired, the phone will have a security request that I only found by accessing the pull down menu
6. Pull down the menu on the S3 and it will indicate there is a Map Request, do you want to allow Sync access
7. Select the Enable checkbox to not be reminded again and press OK
8. To test it, dial *DATA# on your phone and wait for a text to arrive
9. When the text arrives, the vehicle will play an alert and indicate a message is available
10. Press OK to Listen
11. Voila!!!

The main issue is that the Map Request occurs when the phone is paired and you need to allow Sync permission to access the phone text messaging before the request disappears.

I hope this helps others.

Teresakm

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having same problem. Used steps above and am now able to receive texts but when I reply they come to my own phone instead of whoever texted me.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MyFusion for the info. I just bought a new C-Max Energi and couldn't get it to alert me to a text message. I had the same problem with the Focus I had before it and I could not remember how I got it to work. So far it is working fine with your instructions. Too bad they don't address this kind of thing in the book.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Myfordtouch in your vehicle? Some of the phones do not support the reading of text messages. Is you phone a smartphone or a newer phone? Need more information.

Diego Gazola

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm from Brazil, the New Fiesta sold here has not touch, just the ford sync system
I have a smart phone sony ericsson live walkman with android 4.0.4
in theory, from what I read, the phone has this function ... but the ford sync system says "" the currently selected phone does not support text messaging via bluetooth ""

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Your car must have the ford touch system. My husband has a f150 with the synch system and he can only pair his phone so he can answer a call over blue tooth. No text messages can be viewed or answered via the car.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

Droidbeilling

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, I can listen to the text messages and on the screen they say they are from me so I have no way of knowing who they are from, other than the content. When I reply, it just goes back to my phone not the senders phone. If I select send text message and select a contact from my phone book via sync it will send it to them correctly. Have you had any luck with a fix?

Ryan McGrath

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Your car must have the ford touch system. My husband has a f150 with the synch system and he can only pair his phone so he can answer a call over blue tooth. No text messages can be viewed or answered via the car.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm having the same issue and the weird thing is when I first got my 2013 Focus ST and paired my Note 2 it sent through text messages. Then I updated sync to version 3.6 and bam, text messages stopped working. What gives ford?

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Your car must have the ford touch system. ... No text messages can be viewed or answered via the car.

That is incorrect. The Sync system, if you have the right version and the right phones, will receive and read text messages. Supposedly you can send them as well, but I have not tried that yet. I can receive them and have the Sync lady read them back no problem.

I was at the dealership last night and received another Sync update that is supposed to correct the texting thing to show the actual person whom the text is from when it comes in, not myself and the dates are supposed to be fixed. I haven't tried it out yet. This update also fixes USB media indexing problems if anyone is having those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201