[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

donbudafuko

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH

Ok so rooted phone an wentan put a recovery on an now wen I go into recovey its just a blank screen with the backlight not sure what to do

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Ok so rooted phone an wentan put a recovery on an now wen I go into recovey its just a blank screen with the backlight not sure what to do
You probably have the new LCD.

I would suggest using android screencast per Step 2 - Note #1.

If you are adventurous, you can also do step 4 blind. I provided pics for you to visualize what is on the screen.

jmgotham

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Any chance I'll ever see instructions to root ZVH if I'm on Linux?

I can get through all the steps except 6 because it requires Windows.

I'd like to get true blue gingerbread on my phone but it appears I'll have to wait until it gets a little easier to do.

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

Any chance I'll ever see instructions to root ZVH if I'm on Linux?

I can get through all the steps except 6 because it requires Windows.

I'd like to get true blue gingerbread on my phone but it appears I'll have to wait until it gets a little easier to do.

From what I read, step six is just using adb shell... This does not require windows. The only time its actually necessary to run windows for this phone is to run kp500 or to run the updater tool (one in the same IMO)... You should have adb installed on your Linux machine an you're good to go! :)

Reactions: jmgotham

donbudafuko

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

You probably have the new LCD.

I would suggest using android screencast per Step 2 - Note #1.

If you are adventurous, you can also do step 4 blind. I provided pics for you to visualize what is on the screen.

I dont have the new screen I got the olds one

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

From what I read, step six is just using adb shell... This does not require windows. The only time its actually necessary to run windows for this phone is to run kp500 or to run the updater tool (one in the same IMO)... You should have adb installed on your Linux machine an you're good to go! :)

This is correct - went through this rooting process yesterday using Linux without a hitch.

Reactions: jmgotham

Android Jerk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

I have a question, I received an OTA update last night from Sprint and I am now at LS670ZVH. I have never rooted my phone. Can I just start from step #6 to root it or will I end up bricking it?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I have a question, I received an OTA update last night from Sprint and I am now at LS670ZVH. I have never rooted my phone. Can I just start from step #6 to root it or will I end up bricking it?
Which version of recovery did you have prior to OTA update? Were you running V9 or VD before the ZVH OTA update?

If you were running V9 recovery, then you can just start from step #6, otherwise you'll need to revert to v9 (second link in my signature) if you want to root ZVH.

Android Jerk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I was running ZVD before the OTA update.

Which version of recovery did you have prior to OTA update? Were you running V9 or VD before the ZVH OTA update?

If you were running V9 recovery, then you can just start from step #6, otherwise you'll need to revert to v9 (second link in my signature) if you want to root ZVH.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I was running ZVD before the OTA update.
Backup what you can and revert to V9, 2nd link in signature.

Or you can wait for a new gingerbread-specific exploit, which could arrive somewhere between tomorrow and never. We had to wait a couple of months to get gingerbreak, which happened to also work on ZVD froyo.

Android Jerk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

Or you can wait for a new gingerbread-specific exploit, which could arrive somewhere between tomorrow and never. We had to wait a couple of months to get gingerbreak, which happened to also work on ZVD froyo.

I will try it out, thanks for your help.

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

How can he revert if he is not rooted? I thought you needed to be rooted to revert?

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

microsoft security essentials detected a virus in zvhroot.zip so i can't root...
Which file within the zip?

If it is complaining about "rage", it is a false positive. Some might consider it mal-ware because it is an exploit to give you root, but that is exactly what you want in this case.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Noob question, can I up to this with my custom recovery? Also retain both the custom recovery and Reborn ROM?
You need to go back to stock V9 recovery to get the root done. After that, you can put back custom recovery. You might have trouble using Reborn ROM with the ZVH radio. If you want to run Reborn ROM, then you probably don't need this update.

username4040

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Which file within the zip?

If it is complaining about "rage", it is a false positive. Some might consider it mal-ware because it is an exploit to give you root, but that is exactly what you want in this case.

here you go i took a screenshot to show you what i get when i scan the .zip