How to set a custome tune for SMS notification? Android 6.0

A

AC Question

Well, today I bought new smartphone with android 6.0 and for few hours I have been unable to find a way to set a custom tone for notifications. I can set a custom one for rings when going into my music, but not for SMS nor Gmail.

Please take a notice, that I am fairly new to the smartphones and totally new to the newer versions android itself, but I do know my way around. I tried to look everywhere and could not find it.

Can anyone please tell me how to set this thing? Apart of searching in default SMS app, I tried two different apps: Hangouts and Textra SMS to change the notification sound, but no luck. I feel really lost.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
On my LG G4, the basic notification sound is found nowhere near the ringtone at
settings / sound & notifications / more / default notification sound

From inside Textra
settings / customize notifications / notification sound

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
On Samsung devices you open messages... More... Settings... Notification on... Notifications sounds...
But you also have to have notifications volume up in the volume settings in sounds and vibrations where you can also choose what sound you get...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting -- on all of my Nexus devices (and I think my ASUS Zenfone 2), the system would differentiate between those various directories when looking for custom tones. Just checked my 6P -- when choosing a ringtone, I don't see any of my custom tones that are in the Notifications directory, and vice-versa.