I am so EXCITED

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't disagree that you have the choice of how much data to use. My point is that it doesn't come without consequences. It's why most carriers are trying to do away with unlimited; to control how saturated their networks are becoming. The more people who have unlimited and don't worry about controlling their consumption, the slower the network becomes and the greater the cost of maintaining/upgrading that network will be. Moving to tiered data forces people to think about their consumption to keep their own costs down and it subsequently helps keep the network from getting too saturated too fast (Sprint who still has unlimited data is a good example of this).

When you say most carriers are trying to get rid of unlimited data, who is that ? You really mean Verizon and AT&T, I think.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
(Not to single you out karsdroid), I still have unlimited data and it's great to not have to worry about overages, but at the same time I find it irritating the mindset that unlimited means you can consume as much as you want without any consequence. It's like an all you can eat buffet doesn't mean it's appropriate/acceptable to be gluttonous and throw any self discipline out the window and consume as much as you want. Like the food at the buffet, network resources are not unlimited. Over-consumption does affect others and can also cause the provider of the resource (ex. restaurant or cellular network) to raise prices or change their policy to control that consumption (they reserve that right as the provider of the resource). I think that is the concern many have with those who use a ton of data. :)

And to stay on topic: Congrats Jude on getting the Note 2. It's a great device. You're going to love it! :p

They offered unlimited and that meant unlimited. Then they change their mind because, oh my, there are some who take them up on the offer. Unlimited means no limit, they offered it!

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon used to cap phone calls because that was where the money was to be made. Now with the ability to call over voip we have a paradigm shift so the money to be made is capping data plans.

Its all about making money and ridiculous amounts of it!

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If one looks at Verizon's corporate profitability, it's on par with what investors require and not much more. If you look at Verizon's profits relative to its competitors (domestic and global) you'll find that it trails most of them. "Ridiculous amounts of money?" Not at all. Profits are needed to support infrastructure growth - which is needed to allow all those of us on unlimited data plans to continue to use lots of wireless data.

Capitalism rules! If you don't like it, move to Cuba and see what the alternative looks like.

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) | Profitability

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
(Not to single you out karsdroid), I still have unlimited data and it's great to not have to worry about overages, but at the same time I find it irritating the mindset that unlimited means you can consume as much as you want without any consequence. It's like an all you can eat buffet doesn't mean it's appropriate/acceptable to be gluttonous and throw any self discipline out the window and consume as much as you want. Like the food at the buffet, network resources are not unlimited. Over-consumption does affect others and can also cause the provider of the resource (ex. restaurant or cellular network) to raise prices or change their policy to control that consumption (they reserve that right as the provider of the resource). I think that is the concern many have with those who use a ton of data. :)

And to stay on topic: Congrats Jude on getting the Note 2. It's a great device. You're going to love it! :p

.....and yet you did.....which is fine by me as i reject your analogy. an all you can eat buffet simply means all you can eat not all we want you to eat. its silly to think a restaurant has an all you can eat buffet and then is stunned because people are eating all they can eat......and yes its silly to think verizon offered unlimited data and then thought "oh shoot now we have to raise prices and have a tiered plan to off set usage....what are we going to do they are using their unlimited data we never thought they would"....whatever....its a difference of opinion and i'm still sick of people saying, you people with unlimited, stop using it......

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If one looks at Verizon's corporate profitability, it's on par with what investors require and not much more. If you look at Verizon's profits relative to its competitors (domestic and global) you'll find that it trails most of them. "Ridiculous amounts of money?" Not at all. Profits are needed to support infrastructure growth - which is needed to allow all those of us on unlimited data plans to continue to use lots of wireless data.

Capitalism rules! If you don't like it, move to Cuba and see what the alternative looks like.

Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) | Profitability

Wait till you see their lte rollout finished.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
.....and yet you did.....which is fine by me as i reject your analogy. an all you can eat buffet simply means all you can eat not all we want you to eat. its silly to think a restaurant has an all you can eat buffet and then is stunned because people are eating all they can eat......and yes its silly to think verizon offered unlimited data and then thought "oh shoot now we have to raise prices and have a tiered plan to off set usage....what are we going to do they are using their unlimited data we never thought they would"....whatever....its a difference of opinion and i'm still sick of people saying, you people with unlimited, stop using it......

Again, I apologize. It was never my intent to single you out. I was just using your post as a jumping off point. :) But to continue?

The restaurant or cellular carrier does have a reasonable expectation that the majority of people are not going to over-consume the product or service. If too many people do so, they are well within their right to re-evaluate things and the costs involved and make changes to keep things profitable. It's the very nature of capitalism. Again, I'm just trying to point out the inherent cause and effect involved. I never said to anyone to stop using your unlimited data. :)

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just called Verizon! I don't have to wait till March. I will have my Note2 Monday or Tuesday! Yay.....early upgrade and also a credit on the 30.00 fee
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Cheers, Jude! I'm thinking of doing the "add a dumbphone, move a line" thing in order to get my hands on the Note 2.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Cheers, Jude! I'm thinking of doing the "add a dumbphone, move a line" thing in order to get my hands on the Note 2.

do it ASAP... there's talk over at the "official Verizon Wireless forum that this "loophole" is going to be closed. apparently Verizon doesn't like it when they make money off this. :D technically, they're not closing the loophole, but rather, instituting a fee for removing the data plan and putting a dumbphone on a new or upgraded line on the family plan.

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... instituting a fee for removing the data plan and putting a dumbphone on a new or upgraded line on the family plan.

I could have sworn data plans used to have commitments as well with their own ETF's. I was really surprised how easy it was to drop off the data plan with no penalty.

skyjjc

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess it depends on which rep you talk to. Reps around here say the unlimited lose/keep follows the line with the unlimited. If you transfer the upgrade from an unlimited line and use it you will lose the unlimited. You can keep the unlimited if you use an upgrade from a non-unlimited line.

But I have seen posts where using an upgrade from an unlimited line on a non-unlimited line let them keep their unlimited...go figure. I would suggest you talk with a rep, explain exactly what your goal is (keep unlimited and upgrade phone) and make sure the rep can do it for you.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

When I'm at a buffet I'm eating ALL I WANT if I paid to eat. YMMV. But on topic happy for u Jude

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

It may seem like overkill as the Note 2 already has phenomenal battery life, but at the same time having a fully charged spare battery always at the ready (via that Samsung spare battery charger) is sweet icing on the cake! :p Myself, I rarely if ever tether my Note 2 to a charge, just swap and go as needed, no worries. :) The charger also makes a great stand, portrait or landscape, and is very portable while keeping the battery safely stored inside. It?s well worth the full price, a steal at 50% off.

pd240

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It may seem like overkill as the Note 2 already has phenomenal battery life, but at the same time having a fully charged spare battery always at the ready (via that Samsung spare battery charger) is sweet icing on the cake! :p Myself, I rarely if ever tether my Note 2 to a charge, just swap and go as needed, no worries. :) The charger also makes a great stand, portrait or landscape, and is very portable while keeping the battery safely stored inside. It?s well worth the full price, a steal at 50% off.

I agree. I picked one of these up with the 50% off. I never plug my phone in. Makes for a good stand for a nexus 7 and the note 2. The only thing I worry about is constantly removing the back cover. I feel like it's not as tight fitting as it used to be. Anyone else notice this? I just hope it's the battery cover and not where it snaps to the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I picked one of these up with the 50% off. I never plug my phone in. Makes for a good stand for a nexus 7 and the note 2. The only thing I worry about is constantly removing the back cover. I feel like it's not as tight fitting as it used to be. Anyone else notice this? I just hope it's the battery cover and not where it snaps to the phone.

The battery cover does come off easier after taking it off numerous times. But I haven't noticed a difference in its fit; feels and looks the same after carefully pushing around the entire edge to ensure every tab locks back in place. :)