I find this odd.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Also, popular doesn't always mean good. The most popular musicians right now are One Direction and Justin Bieber.

True.

No way I'd start in designing for Android. Have you seen how awful their developer tools are?

lol, I hope this was sarcasm.

How is Google Maps awful exactly?

I honestly don't use the Android app that much, but Google Maps on the desktop is peerless. There's nothing even in the realm of competition yet. I currently have 40 truck (semi) drivers that report under me and we use Qualcomm in most of the trucks (program called NAVIGO, it is HORRIBLE), which makes my team of dispatchers heavily reliant on services like mapquest, PC Miler, etc for helping make up for Qualcomm's deficiencies and Google Maps is the only one that consistently proactively calls out issues with current construction, traffic and gets us on the ground images reliable enough for us to determine if roads, bridges, etc are safe for us to traverse and to be able to quickly identify the signs meant for their business. We send drivers to Kansas City, St Louis, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay, etc and being able to make live calls on detours is critical. Mapquest, Bing Maps, etc. are absolutely useless in that environment.

As far as the app goes, I occasionally use it to navigate, but I don't have another app to compare it to. I know it's accurate and fast, but would have no idea if there was a better offering for some reason.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I really wish more people understood that popularity might not even be correlated with quality. Quality, price and thus value are definitely considerations for popularity, but we don't live in a market where every option is available to all persons and they all make an informed decision based on research and sound logic. Obviously, we can see within just the Android world that Samsung is the most popular, but few would argue they're indisputably the best quality or value OEM, etc. Clearly there are other factors at play. And just as obviously, the lack of market share does make growth much more difficult. You have to be a viable investment for developers and OEM's... and that's a tough catch 22 situation to overcome.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
BB10 is basically a leech platform sucking off Android apps because nobody wants to build apps for the platform. You can't download from Google play, you can download via Snap and all the apps don't work as you are touting and the one's that do work, work slow, some of the features don't work or they stop working for what ever reason...So basically you hit or miss. I never had a BB but I visit the forums just to read some of the threads for some good comedy...you guys are delusional over there! If I want to run Android apps, I'm going get a Android device and not a BB.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The app runs smoother and faster on Apple!

That's been true of several Google apps at various times. Gmail was better on iOS for a time and Hangouts received some features sooner than the Android version. Part of it is the iOS design guidelines being mixed with Google's philosophy and I think that combination has a lot of win in it. I don't have a hard time believing Maps (or any other app) has been, is or may be in the future a better experience on one platform or the other.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone ever notice that the most negative feedback about a phone, comes from people who bought the Verizon variant? That company usually has to have their own tweak on the model that is common to all the other carriers. Does it sound like a control thing, aka Apple? The new LG G2 is a good example. Verizon is still using the outdated CDMA system, and that could be causing their problems, but they still need that control. Why didn't they just tell it like it is, and make their LG G2 the "Steve Jobs" model?:p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos