I hope that Ice Cream Sandwich can work on the Optimus S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Now that ICS is to be released on October 19th, I hope that it can be made to work on our Optimus S phones.
I LOVE my rooted CM7/Gingerbread set up and am looking forward to Ice Cream Sandwich, if it becomes possible and then available. :)
I will be watching these forums for any and all information.
Thanks in advance to all the developers who make these things possible.

Mav. :cool:

duffkitty

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a Hero that came with Donut, when the Evo leaked they were able to get an Eclair rom long before the official update. CyanogenMod started to get ported and the devs got Froyo and now CM7 on that phone.

If people can get Gingerbread to work on the Hero which has half the RAM the Optimus has I'm sure people can get ICS going on this phone.

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
they ported gingerbread on the G1 :) i'm sure ice cream sandwich can be ported to the optimus... now the matter is development to do so

Reactions: On3wheels

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Hah! I would love to see my Optimus S running Gingerbread with everything working first. :D Maybe ICS will get done first?

I trust the devs over at cm7 much more then i ever will sprint and lg!! Atleast if you put your faith in the cm7 devs and the wonderful devs here they will work miracles if it is possible.

strra

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I trust the devs over at cm7 much more then i ever will sprint and lg!! Atleast if you put your faith in the cm7 devs and the wonderful devs here they will work miracles if it is possible.

unfortunately, with closed source drivers, the devs can only do so much without sprint and lg

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

No doubt, the devs here do a much better job. Problem is that with the proprietary bits being closed source, the guys who can get it right are dependent on the binary driver & radio releases from LG/Sprint to complete their ROMs to production level. An open source project with centralized closed source dependencies; it's like an information autobahn with PennDOT fixing all the on ramps! :D

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh i am sure we will never ever get a true sprint/lg ics update, but we can hope for a custom rom some day!

I was not expecting Sprint and/or LG to ever release ICS to us, especially with the GB OTA snafu.
What I am hoping for is the same; a custom ICS Rom from one of our spectacular developers can be created.
Heck, I'd pay for an ICS Rom for my Optimus S, so put me down for one. Others may agree with me.

P.S. On a side note, my wife's Optimus S got the GB update and has had ZERO problems.

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was not expecting Sprint and/or LG to ever release ICS to us, especially with the GB OTA snafu.
What I am hoping for is the same; a custom ICS Rom from one of our spectacular developers can be created.
Heck, I'd pay for an ICS Rom for my Optimus S, so put me down for one. Others may agree with me.

P.S. On a side note, my wife's Optimus S got the GB update and has had ZERO problems.

Are you saying that your wife got an OTA update very recently? Just curious.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Some ppl got the original Sept 15th GB update and didn't have issues. I noticed a poster over at Sprint's site tried to say that the update was flawed by some network issues, but that doesn't account for those who received it without a hitch and their phones worked/still work fine. So it couldn't have been a "network issue" that corrupted the update - otherwise it would've been across the board problems...
Some people received it and it didn't brick their phones. Most received it and immediately had problems.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying that your wife got an OTA update very recently? Just curious.

That is correct. Updated to Gingerbread when it was released OTA and she has had no problems.
Running 2.3.3 with LS670ZVH software.
She did not like the color scheme at first but has got used to it.

With mine already having CM7, it never prompted to be updated.

It is my hope and dream is that someone can port ICS to the Optimus line.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So it couldn't have been a "network issue" that corrupted the update - otherwise it would've been across the board problems.
You are correct, that post you are referring to is just idle speculation.

You can't have a corrupted update and have it install. It would fail the signature check as all the files are checksumed and the whole bundle is signed. A corrupt download would be treated the same as some modifying the update, the signature would fail.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually said that same thing about the signature fail on Sprint's forum, no reply from the person who was spreading that crap about faulty update OTA. Figures, someone thought they knew something and they didn't.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.