I made a big mistake

420benz

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I added a 4 digit pass code that i thought i would only need to use once to get into my phone. Wrong I need to type them in every time the phone goes to sleep.How can i remove it and go back to having no pass code? Thanks

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Maybe this will help. That said, you might want to consider a less drastic (and more secure) method such as smart unlock, which is available on many phones.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Go to settings, find the following, and change your preference. Good luck.
1cb09e7cc9f014498ac362d95db37bfc.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There are no one time options, because that isn't secure. The convenience compromises are Fingerprint, face unlock and trusted device/network/location, depending what device you have..
Fingerprint will still require a backup pin or password, which you'll be occasional asked for at random and at every reboot. This is to help keep the pin/password fresh in your memory, so I wouldn't recommend them unless you have a reliable way to recall or retrieve that info. Not sure if this applies to face unlock, as I don't use it.

I had heard heard the trusted device/location options were not reliable. I.e. Not unlocking when it should be doing so. Have things improved on that front?

Reactions: Madd62

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Fingerprint will still require a backup pin or password, which you'll be occasional asked for at random and at every reboot. This is to help keep the pin/password fresh in your memory, so I wouldn't recommend them unless you have a reliable way to recall or retrieve that info. Not sure if this applies to face unlock, as I don't use it.

I had heard heard the trusted device/location options were not reliable. I.e. Not unlocking when it should be doing so. Have things improved on that front?
Everything needs to be backed up by a PIN or password. I seriously doubt trusted places as any better than it has ever been, but I don't use it because it's always been terrible and is not secure in my opinion.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Never had a problem with trusted location (aka, smart lock) on my last two phones, Pixel 5 and Razr+. However, it also requires a backup PIN, though it only asks for it when first setting up or when changing settings.