I miss multitasking

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I miss the multitasking of my pre. I have the epic now and i was loading a page on the browser then i got an email i opened then when I was going back to the browser I have to start over.is there any way to keep the browser going,and what is going on with the checkers effect in the browser any way to prevent that.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The reason why the browser didn't stay on the page was probably cuz you're low on RAM. I use dolphin mini and it's pretty efficient.

I second the notion that it only closed what you had on the browser due to RAM. The epic in its stock form doesn't have very much free and android automatically closes whats needed to support the ram demand. Newer devices have more RAM available, ie, my favorite one on the market. To free some up, try a different launcher other than touchwiz, like launcherpro. That may free up some RAM. On a sidenote, the gingerbread update seems to have a "Clear Memory" option in the program manager

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I second the notion that it only closed what you had on the browser due to RAM. The epic in its stock form doesn't have very much free and android automatically closes whats needed to support the ram demand. Newer devices have more RAM available, ie, my favorite one on the market. To free some up, try a different launcher other than touchwiz, like launcherpro. That may free up some RAM. On a sidenote, the gingerbread update seems to have a "Clear Memory" option in the program manager

I'm currently stock 2.2 and a former pre user, I have no problem using launcher pro and going from browser to yahoo mail to touchdown, back to browser. Be sure you are using the home button to leave one and then select a new app- not using the back button which will end the app...

While I loved the notifications and simplicity, the Pre's "too many cards open" error when I had only 1 card was infuriating. Cell reception was worse too.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently stock 2.2 and a former pre user, I have no problem using launcher pro and going from browser to yahoo mail to touchdown, back to browser. Be sure you are using the home button to leave one and then select a new app- not using the back button which will end the app...

While I loved the notifications and simplicity, the Pre's "too many cards open" error when I had only 1 card was infuriating. Cell reception was worse too.

Oh, I HATED that error. Played with my GF's unactivated pre yesterday. Its gotten slower with updates.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
You probably hit the back button - that will close the browser - if you hit the home button, then you can easily go back to your browser where you left off. I am constantly jumping from phone call to email to browser to calendar notifications and more with no problems, or for that matter memory problems.

I am on a stock epic and have over 126 3rd party apps and I do not ever have a problem with memory. My guess is that you are not familiar enough with your epic/android system yet to understand how to make the best use of it yet. WebOS is nice, but the hardware was poor.

Bottom line, the more you use it the better use you will get out it. The epic and Android system is really not that bad. I can do almost anything on my epic with decent speed (with no OC'ing) and what I can't do on my epic, I simply remote log into my PC and do it from there via my epic.

Example, I can't watch hulu on my epic, but if I did want to watch it on my epic, I simply log into my home PC via my epic, and now I can watch hulu, although I use my Sling Player which is hooked to my Tivo more often.

Trust me, you CAN multitask on your epic/android! Maybe not as elegantly, but you can multitask!

Reactions: joselito76

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Checkerboarding is a bug in the browser that popped up from the official release of Froyo EB13. This has been resolved in custom ROMs by a modified version of the stock browser, but no fix from Samsung/Sprint has been presented.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

About the EF02 update, I think there are some RAM problems with that because I've noticed that even if I go on youtube (native app) and watch a video or two and back out to my launcher, the launcher has to reload everything. This has never happened to me before I flashed this ROM.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
thank for the rensponse guys. I am getting used to the way this phone multitask not like the pre ,but i am learning.The reason i jump to android is that sprint is not getting new webos phones for now and the pre is not getting more updates no 2.2 to the original pre.The checkr effect is horrible not even the pre ,firefox does it too. Windows 7 has a better browser and now even more with the mango up date. sorry for the *****ing i guees i was especting to much, but i still have 28 days to pick up my mind . the window phone on sprint look bad like no effort to make a good phone.I wiil see what phones will sprint bring in the next weeks if there any.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
thank for the rensponse guys. I am getting used to the way this phone multitask not like the pre ,but i am learning.The reason i jump to android is that sprint is not getting new webos phones for now and the pre is not getting more updates no 2.2 to the original pre.The checkr effect is horrible not even the pre ,firefox does it too. Windows 7 has a better browser and now even more with the mango up date. sorry for the *****ing i guees i was especting to much, but i still have 28 days to pick up my mind . the window phone on sprint look bad like no effort to make a good phone.I wiil see what phones will sprint bring in the next weeks if there any.

Just use Dolphin HD Browser - no checkerboarding and makes uses of tabs and gestures - gestures will at least bring back some memories of webOS :D

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you just switched to the epic and can return it, I would. The evo 3d although gimmicky has much more ram, something I noticed was a major improvement when I was using a thunderbolt. You can just swap it out on friday when it come out (or better yet play with it). I defected from a pre to an htc hero. Although no dedicated gpu meant no 3d games on that device, the community with htc devices and functionality of the phone made the swith rather painless.

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
this forum so far had been the best you guys always replies and answers to my questions. very friendly people here,but I have to admit worse browser on the market Samsung epic I was going with a windows phone now that I see internet 9 for windows phone I get real mad.

Last edited:

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If you just switched to the epic and can return it, I would. The evo 3d although gimmicky has much more ram, something I noticed was a major improvement when I was using a thunderbolt. You can just swap it out on friday when it come out (or better yet play with it). I defected from a pre to an htc hero. Although no dedicated gpu meant no 3d games on that device, the community with htc devices and functionality of the phone made the swith rather painless.

Which one don't have dedicated GPU?

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
this forum so far had been the best you guys always replies and answers to my questions. very friendly people here,but I have to admit worse browser on the market Samsung epic I was going with a windows phone now that I see internet 9 for windows phone I get real mad.

sounds like you are judging the phone based on web browser? you also are ignoring the suggestions of using different browser instead of the stock browser. the one thing about android is that if you don't like one app, there are 10+ more in the Market to try.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

Yeah? You can change the browser on an android phone but can you change the butt ugly UI on a windows phone?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz