I rooted my Droid Incredible today...

batch2k1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Man, I've worked on this for 2 hours. Tried 4 different SD cards, going back to an ancient 256 MB, up to a 16 GB fast one. Tried a win7 IBM laptop, and an Acer 32 bit XP netbook. Tried both methods, and gave it time. I know what I'm doing, too. No dice :(

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
MUST we have an SDcard to root our Incs? Mine didnt come with one and after shelling out 575 dollars for mine retail, Im not in the mood to go throw out more cash for a damn SDcard which they NOW come with one if you purchase it unlike purchasing it release day :(

anon(7436)

Jan 13, 2010
twitter.com
Alright, so I got this to work, and ran all the commands on here: The PRS Complete Rooting Guide - Android Forums (using ./adb shell on a Mac with method #2 and the 2GB SD card Verizon gave me), but I can't do anything. Superuser Permissions is in there... I applied update.zip correctly and got the "unrEVOked" yellow text on my Incredible... su is in /system/bin, but I can't access the device via Terminal (CMD for you Windows users) and can't modify/delete system files.

Btw, I got the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" error after a few tries (2-5, I don't recall).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I will be trying this soon, one question if I may ask. Once we root the Inc. that's it we won't have to root again with Froyo?

starscream84

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
depends on what you use....

most devs will make a Froyo ROM, i.e. Petes Bugless Beast is already Froyo, so if you install a Froyo ROM you phone stays rooted. If you choose to install the actual official update from Verizon, it reflashes your phone and you will probally lose root, its not 100% that you will lose root, but I remember even a bunch of the small updates for the moto droid closed root on the phone if you did install it.

so I guess the answer is yes and no depending on what you chose to install. :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The big question is why are you rooting if you are going to install or want to install OTAs? The man reason behind all this is to unlock your phone to the point where you can run fully custom ROMs because pretty much everything else can be achieved without root from what I have seen. (minus over/underclocking with kernals)

Jett2314

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I am not getting the message loading htc bootloader driver when I plug in the phone to the usb as it shows in the video. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I running windows vista.
Thanks

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I hope eventually there will be. I've tried everything there is to try over the last 2 weeks or so. For hours on end with each method with different cards etc. And my phone will not let me into adb recovery. Go figure, I'm so bummed about this......

leewongfei

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hope springs eternal, especially for this! :D

Lunar 2 quote!

All kidding aside, i followed the instructions on SDO developers with a 2 gig pny memory card from walmart. I got it to go through the first time. I tried the 10 minute method and failed over and over again. Here are the instructions from XDA that i followed.

THESE ARE NOT MY INSTRUCTIONS, I GOT THEM FROM XDA. Sorry for the caps, i did not want to get lynched.

Alternate Method (Credit: Binny)
Start from the !triangle screen
Hit Power and volume up
Hit reboot and pop out sdcard
Wait for the white HTC Incredible screen then type adb reboot recoveryuntil it reboots

Wait for the white HTC Incredible screen again
Soon as you see flicker on screen pop in sdcard
Wait for the !triangle screen and type adb devices If you see device listed with (recovery) next to it, follow the instructions below. If not, start at step 1 again.

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten to the part where i prepare adb push payload-update /sdcard/ and when i press power then enter,it fails because E: can't verify something something.

leewongfei

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten to the part where i prepare adb push payload-update /sdcard/ and when i press power then enter,it fails because E: can't verify something something.

You have actually asked this on XDA forums... I will post the reply that was already provided to you.

Here is the link with your answer
Unrevoked team: Incredible Root process - Page 102 - xda-developers

"if you haven't watch the 10min root video on youtube... he shows what errors will show up on the screen and when to just ignore/keep going forward. I literally used his from minute 5:45 or so on but used someone's push in the USB cord after the screen flickers method for the first part."

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
You have actually asked this on XDA forums... I will post the reply that was already provided to you.

Here is the link with your answer
Unrevoked team: Incredible Root process - Page 102 - xda-developers

"if you haven't watch the 10min root video on youtube... he shows what errors will show up on the screen and when to just ignore/keep going forward. I literally used his from minute 5:45 or so on but used someone's push in the USB cord after the screen flickers method for the first part."

Thanks,but I saw that response and I was just looking for other opinions.

SirKeats

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
so i'm not sure where i went wrong... i got to the "...no such file or directory" and am following the steps in the vid exactly, but when "1.bat" part, nothing is being pushed to the phone. my screen shows "<0 bytes in X seconts>" for all of the files.

what am i doing wrong?

leewongfei

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Because your phone is not completly in ADB correctly. When you are at that point, type the command - adb devices - without the spaces or slashes. If your device does not show up while in recovery mode, you may need to try again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunterm2