I took off the shatter shield????

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I scratched the top layer so removed it (along with that stupid Verizon check mark). Does it matter?

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Go get one installed at Verizon now. And if you don't like the logo order the next one from Motorola. You need that on or your warranty is void.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I would say because that screen is plastic also and will probably scratch just as easy and then no shield will fix that.
And it just make common sense after spending so much of your hard earned money?

cjp39

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. I only ask because the screen looks better without it. Also I have the 64gb version, and will at some point be trading it in for another free replacement.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I screwed it up the first time I replaced the outer lens. So I bought two more. I applied the second one ok and now have a spare.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I only ask because the screen looks better without it. Also I have the 64gb version, and will at some point be trading it in for another free replacement.

Motorola has said that operating the phone without the shattershield voids the warranty, so I'd be concerned that they would charge you if you trade in a phone without the shattershield that has even a small scratch on the part of the display that should be covered by it. (They haven't said they would do that, but that have definitively said that the shattershield is required for warranty coverage.)

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Not without the shattershield installed. That voids any warranty if the shattershield is not in place. Motorola sells them for $29.99. As far as I know, Verizon store don't stock them, and there isn't anything that would be a "comparable replacement" in terms of the warranty.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand people sometimes... the Shattershield outer layer is a critical part of the 5 layers. Why would you replace it with anything else other than what comes from Motorola, just to get rid of the Verizon √?

In my opinion, I don't care if the Verizon √ is on the bottom of the screen.

I am concerned, (since the screen is plastic) about the 5th outer layer scratching... so i don't have to Jack with replacing outer layer for $30, I just bought a pack of tech armor screen protector for $6 on Amazon. Put one of those protectors over the Shattershield.

Everything is just fine.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand people sometimes... the Shattershield outer layer is a critical part of the 5 layers. Why would you replace it with anything else other than what comes from Motorola, just to get rid of the Verizon √?

In my opinion, I don't care if the Verizon √ is on the bottom of the screen.

I am concerned, (since the screen is plastic) about the 5th outer layer scratching... so i don't have to Jack with replacing outer layer for $30, I just bought a pack of tech armor screen protector for $6 on Amazon. Put one of those protectors over the Shattershield.

Everything is just fine.

For some it's yet another layer that some say detracts from the brightness of the screen. Some have removed the shattershield and replaced it with a full coverage tempered glass screen protector, seems to increase brightness and provide better scratch resistance, if it cracks just replace it with another for $10 instead of a $30 shattershield. Debating myself whether to just put my tempered glass protector over the shattershield or swap it out . . . I don't care about the checkmark as much as some here, doesn't bother me, to each his/her own.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
For some it's yet another layer that some say detracts from the brightness of the screen. Some have removed the shattershield and replaced it with a full coverage tempered glass screen protector, seems to increase brightness and provide better scratch resistance, if it cracks just replace it with another for $10 instead of a $30 shattershield. Debating myself whether to just put my tempered glass protector over the shattershield or swap it out . . . I don't care about the checkmark as much as some here, doesn't bother me, to each his/her own.

Again, anybody considering this should be aware that Motorola has said that they may not (or will not?) honor warranty coverage for a broken display if the shattershield lens cover is not on the phone, and that they will not consider any other cover a warrantable replacement.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Again, anybody considering this should be aware that Motorola has said that they may not (or will not?) honor warranty coverage for a broken display if the shattershield lens cover is not on the phone, and that they will not consider any other cover a warrantable replacement.

Thanks for the reminder . . again :)
Too bad we can't assume people read back a few pages to get context, especially in a short thread like this . . .

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would say because that screen is plastic also and will probably scratch just as easy and then no shield will fix that.
And it just make common sense after spending so much of your hard earned money?

Agreed.... The Motorola sales rep was in my Best Buy last night and told me if I get the Turbo put a protector on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerretPhone