Idiots Guide to Rooting and Custom ROMs, Optimus S Edition

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I got all the way past the $ signs, but then i entered adb shell and kept getting the $ instead of # so now idk what to do besides start over again

What ended up working for me was this. My phone would cycle through the adb connection twice after running the exploit. If you have notifications volume on your phone turned up, you should hear it. After I heard the first cycle, I typed: adb shell in the command prompt, and that's when I got the #.

I had tried probably thirty times, before figuring out I needed to fire the command at that time. Hope it helps...

Reactions: dishe

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
For the root section I would suggest z4root. Much easier, plus it auto installs super user.

Nick, agreed, but if you look at my post you'll see the reason I went with the "long way" is because you'll need adb later. Might as well get used to the tools now since you'll need to get ADB shell working either way.

Nick7

Brick Master
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Nick, agreed, but if you look at my post you'll see the reason I went with the "long way" is because you'll need adb later. Might as well get used to the tools now since you'll need to get ADB shell working either way.

Good call. I forgot about having to learn that stuff, It has been a while.. Anyways, thanks for the guide, we really needed one on this board.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I know we have craptons of stickies already, but I think this should be one of them, (especially now that I see the forum's been reorganized and subfoldered).

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Guys we have to nip this in the bud real quick....

It's not a vote kind of thing. If something is sticky worthy, I'll stick it. In the interim i need to go back and remove comments like "sticky" as they don't contribute to the topic at hand. People don't want to read that comment when theyre looking for answers to rooting and roming.

I know you cant see my PM box but if i sticky everything that someone says "sticky" or PM's me about then you'd have 2 pages of stickies before you even get to the forum.

When information is important it should be stuck so it doesnt dominate the forum but let me be the judge, ok? If something should be a sticky, PM me, don't clutter the OP's page.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure the OP's appreciate the cooperation as well so their thread can stay on topic.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if anyone else has run into this, but following the link for the Android SDK, after trying to install it, it bails out giving me the error that it requires the JDK and that the JRE is insufficient. Took a while to navigate the site b/c it seemingly is an Oracle site with plenty non-English characters (boxes showing up as if I don't have the proper font/language pack installed), but the JDK can be found here:

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...ProductRef=jdk-6u22-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

Edit: I take back the non-English portion of the above - seems that my dinosaur of a laptop I dug out to play with (clean environment) had a beta version of Chrome that just didn't like the site. Works fine on my real machine. Still need the JDK though, not the JRE...

Last edited:

Noel2255

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
After I type in "adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage"
I get "adb is not reconginized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

weenerdog3443

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
damn sdk updates take forever.... all I'm waiting on now.. cant wait to get it done tonight. dl'in updates through wireless tethering so might be why

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
After I type in "adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage"
I get "adb is not reconginized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Make sure you are in c:\android-sdk(orwhatever)\platform-tools.

Or make sure you are in c:\android-sdk(orwhatever)\tools if you were in platform-tools.

The most recent SDK has adb in \platform-tools....the one before it has it in \tools. Depending on which one you have, you might need to be in the other directory.

weenerdog3443

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
alright need some help. whenever I open sdk the the command prompt opens up then android sdk & AVD manager pops open then a thing that says choose packages to install. I cant type anything in the command propt window and if I close the other stuff it closes the command prompt. what am i doing wrong?

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You need to use another cmd window, not the one the sdk opens up. But if you don't have adb in the tools our platform-tools folder, run the install so they will be downloaded.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I find I have to type "su" after "adb shell" too, if memory serves.

Just re-read this comment and yes, you are correct. I forgot the "su" part :p

It should have read
type:
adb shell [press enter]
su [press enter]
Look at your phone, it's asking you to grant ADB SU permission
Click "always allow"
Enjoy.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ooh, that might be the solution to my permission denied error when trying to run flash_image that I described in the custom recovery thread....

weenerdog3443

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Well im a complete idiot n noob when it comes to android devices n ifinally got it last night. Loving it so much betterthanstock. I do have a question, is thereany reccomended apps to dl or use nowthat I am rooted and romed besides tit backup n super user. Thankyou toall that havehelped and made this possible.