If still on KitKat, can 5.0 be skipped by waiting for 5.0.1 OTA update?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If one hasn't updated to Lollipop yet, can 5.0 be skipped by just waiting for the 5.0.1 OTA update? Or does it even matter because you would still have to update to 5.0 before you could update to 5.0.1? (Not flashing or side-loading, but rather just by the regular OTA's). Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on whether your carrier (or Google in this case) makes an inclusive 5.0.1 update (all the changes from 4.4.4 to 5.01), but if not, you'll update to 5.0 one day, then 5.0.1 the next day (you have to wait 24 hours after an OTA before you can OTA gain with most carriers - I don't know if Google does that).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
You can either wait for the 4.4.4 > 5.0.1 update link to become available and update manually, flash the factory image, or wait for the OTA to be pushed to your phone, which can take days or weeks.

Let us know if you have any questions.
So there will be an OTA for updating from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1? I am also still waiting on the update because of the several horror stories about the 5.0 update. Can wait - phone is running smooth and fast (am already on ART).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So there will be an OTA for updating from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1? I am also still waiting on the update because of the several horror stories about the 5.0 update. Can wait - phone is running smooth and fast (am already on ART).
Yes. There will be an OTA that will take you from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 - at least, that's how it's been in the past for devices that did not make it to the update in between (5.0).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The OTA will always be incremental. If you have a phone that's been turned off for a year, still running 4.1, it should update day by day to the latest version for that phone. (That's cheaper for Google or the carrier than having you bring or send your phone in for a full backup, flash and restore, even if only 1% of the people owning that phone do it).

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I got the 5.0.1 update alert today. After several attempts, it finally downloaded, but then it never installed despite a couple of restarts. And when I check for updates, it says my system is up to date even though it also says 5.0 rather than 5.0.1. Strange.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got the 5.0.1 update alert today. After several attempts, it finally downloaded, but then it never installed despite a couple of restarts. And when I check for updates, it says my system is up to date even though it also says 5.0 rather than 5.0.1. Strange.

Were you on 4.4.4?

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
It does seem that update will be possible from 4.4.4 to 5.0.1. The update notification to 5.0 disappeared on its own from my phone today.

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow, my notification disappeared too. I hadn't even noticed that yet, and I should have because otherwise it makes its presence very well known. (Or does the notification just expire on its own after a period of time?) Now it says I'm up to date on 4.4.4

I'd actually come here today to see how 5.0 was going for people since some of the earlier posts made me a little concerned about plunging in and I wasn't in a hurry. I was going to ask if it was "safe" now to upgrade to 5.0 or what the status of 5.0.1 is. I guess both questions are now moot for the time being.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, my notification disappeared too. I hadn't even noticed that yet, and I should have because otherwise it makes its presence very well known. (Or does the notification just expire on its own after a period of time?) Now it says I'm up to date on 4.4.4

I'd actually come here today to see how 5.0 was going for people since some of the earlier posts made me a little concerned about plunging in and I wasn't in a hurry. I was going to ask if it was "safe" now to upgrade to 5.0 or what the status of 5.0.1 is. I guess both questions are now moot for the time being.
I updated yesterday after waiting to ensure as many apps as possible got their updates.

Have noticed no problems and really nothing new that excites me. Felt it best to update before the 5.01 to avoid confusion.

Seem to recall my Nexus 7 quit with the notifications for an update to previous updates. I think you can just goo into settings/about phone/system updates and do a check and it should give you the latest update available even though you are not prompted anymore.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Same here even though it also confirmed that 5.0.1 was downloaded.

That was the last update so wouldn't you be up to date?

I am on 5.0 and when I ask to see if updates are available it tells me I am up to date. Suspect we are sort of between updates and until 5.0.1 rolls out to everyone then even those that are still on KitKat may get an up to date. This probably means those that didn't install 5.0 can just install 5.0.1

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Still on 4.4.4 . Since yesterday(ish) if I go to "system updates", I get this:

Nexus - no update avail.png
It used to tell me I had an update available, but no longer.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
That was the last update so wouldn't you be up to date?

I don't think I am because if 5.0.1 were installed, wouldn't it say that rather than 5.0? I know that the phone can show three digits because when it ran 4.4.4, it said that rather than 4.4.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 5.0.1 update notification again, and this time it downloaded and installed on the first attempt. Now it says the phone is running 5.0.1. Not sure what happened with the previous 5.0.1 update, but it definitely didn't install.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got the 5.0.1 update notification again, and this time it downloaded and installed on the first attempt. Now it says the phone is running 5.0.1. Not sure what happened with the previous 5.0.1 update, but it definitely didn't install.
I am still not getting any 5.0.1 OTA notification.