I'm seeing a lot of reported problems

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The only real concern is the screen. Amoled screens have huge variability due to their nature, and there are those familiar with the 'nexus lottery'. I hope samsung have better QC this time around and the panels don't vary that much. The fact that all the phones are the same should help a lot as a single factory can source the chassis, screen for everyone.

gunner49

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
With the amount of SG3's being sold, surely there are going to be some faults, simply by sheer numbers. No to be worried, Verizon has always done me right on this...This is why I like to pick up my orders at the store, any problems usually handled right away.

Wonder if Apple started these rumors?

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I am a original bb storm owner .... I bought the phone after reading all kinds of bad reviews .... Never had a problem that could not be fixed.
Look on the threads for the og Dinc .... And again never had any of the really bad problems .... Some annoyances now and then but no problems.

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I am a original bb storm owner .... I bought the phone after reading all kinds of bad reviews .... Never had a problem that could not be fixed.
Look on the threads for the og Dinc .... And again never had any of the really bad problems .... Some annoyances now and then but no problems.

Good point.

A lot of people have issues only because they saw online somebody make public an issue and then they searched and searched until they found something they don't like about their phone.

As I learned with the iPad 2's screen last year, don't read forums for people's problems or else things that you would never notice, will be noticed.

Of course, I now own a GT 10.1 instead, but..... I won't be making that mistake by reading threads like this when I get my phone. LOL

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
so the pic you showed is clearly someone who dropped the phone which clearly whatever they dropped it on scuffed the crap out of the phone so that is nothing to do with QC.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
When you include ZERO reports/articles/websites/threads/etc as evidence of said "problems" then it's nothing more than bashing.

It's the age old finding "flaws" with the hot girl cause you can't have her.

Sent from my DROIDX (soon to be sent from my S3) using AC Forums App

Well they did post a pic lol. But anyhow I guess bashing is subjective. I call it bashing when someone says "this device sucks, quality is bad and blah blah blah". They just said they are worried about some of the things they read. Probably just really paranoid. But I guess that's where we differ. No worries.

Reactions: Mercury81

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Based off of the abrasions and slight denting and dislocating seen in that pic it looks to me like they dropped it on a very firm, abrasive, protruding surface, such as a sidewalk curb. I can't imagine any phone out there that could survive such a drop unscathed.

I've never used a case before as I like flying naked with just a screen protector. But I'm going with a case this time.

Thinking about a Rock case:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Case/bumper that doesn't add bulk

I bought one of these cases. And man is it sexy in person. It's going to be a whole lot sexier when I get my phone in it.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's say 5 million phones are in the hands of users across the world.
Within that 5 million phones people are going to drop them and they are going to crack. Then there are the phones that get put through torture tests by people for no reason " I squeezed this phone with both hands as hard as I could and I heard it squeek, this phone sucks."
And then there are the phones that get bought by crazy people .... " if I look at the screen on a 32 degree angle while standing in direct moonlight I see a halo effect, this phone sucks"

Now 5 million phones is a lot of phones ( its a lot of anything ) there are going to be some mistakes in the manufacturing process, and you will get a replacement phone from tour provider , but you also get " I can't believe that for $200 of my hard earned money Samsung can't get this right, I have never made a mistake ever and don't expect anyone else to either "
Just be prepared that when you get this phone its gonna suck .... Then you won't be disappointed.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Let's say 5 million phones are in the hands of users across the world.
Within that 5 million phones people are going to drop them and they are going to crack. Then there are the phones that get put through torture tests by people for no reason " I squeezed this phone with both hands as hard as I could and I heard it squeek, this phone sucks."
And then there are the phones that get bought by crazy people .... " if I look at the screen on a 32 degree angle while standing in direct moonlight I see a halo effect, this phone sucks"

Now 5 million phones is a lot of phones ( its a lot of anything ) there are going to be some mistakes in the manufacturing process, and you will get a replacement phone from tour provider , but you also get " I can't believe that for $200 of my hard earned money Samsung can't get this right, I have never made a mistake ever and don't expect anyone else to either "
Just be prepared that when you get this phone its gonna suck .... Then you won't be disappointed.

Exactly. ALL manufacturers have a target percentage of defects or QC rate. Of course they want 0% percent defects but they know better then that. And in most cases those defects are similar due to a repetitive deficiency in their process. So it's not uncommon to see that issues with the same device. And when you are on sites like this you are more likely to hear nitpicking because most people here expect more from devices than those normal consumer who don't visit sites like this but at the same time make up the majority of users. I always just say, try for yourself and hope for the best. Take note of other peoples issues for reference but don't believe it has to happen to you.

Last edited:

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
all you have to do is look at the international version of this phone to see screen issues. all over xda
From xda
EDIT: People, check your phones with *#0*# with red, green and blue. And look for any screen burn. I have a screen burn on blue pixels on the lower part of the screen. This maybe is the reason to the tint in the lower part of the screen. It's not noticeable on daily usage on even an enterely white image but with time it could be.
(Focus on the last sentence.)

Reactions: Mercury81

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
The cracking of the case is being widely reported now. That's it for me, no way am I buying this.

Click to view quoted image

Widely reported? There are several MILLION of these devices.. having 1 forum (XDA you say?) complain, a forum that is known to nit pick to begin with, is a bit.. no wait, a HUGE exaggeration. Widely reported would be if 6 million people had an issue. 10 people out of a few million having some issue which looked like they did on their own (dropping the phone and/or letting it hit something such as the sidewalk - this isnt a basketball so no its not designed to take impacts) is far from being some kinda "known" problem.

And no, Im not being defensive, nor do I care. If you don't like the phone, return it and move on. That simple. But to blow something completely out of proportion is naive and well, dumb (no offense). And then to try and start an alarm and panic because of your own feelings about the phone is even more dumb (again, no offense)

A "known" problem would be when a company.. such as umm, Apple (hate to use this as an example because I'm sure I'll be labeled as an apple hater immediately) publicly says there is something wrong with the antenna design and that your signal will drop. This was caused BY the manufacturer (as opposed to human vice) and was an issue that occurred in the MAJORITY (thus, "widespread") of the device during that model year.

xesso

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Get a ing life

Wow really........ Just because he said he is have concerns about build quality, you think he is some kind of hermit or something??

He just said he had "concerns" and you know what every time I buy a new phone (or anything over $100) I have second thoughts before I fork out my money for it.