In simple terms how can I....

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Kelly Kearns... the reason why I said to turn off LTE is because if the phone is searching for LTE coverage... it can use up battery!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Here it is. Why do you suppose the screen is using so much?

Screen usually uses the most. About what percentage do you have your screen brightness on and do you have it on automatic? Also, do you have the screen saving mode on?

Kelly Kearns... the reason why I said to turn off LTE is because if the phone is searching for LTE coverage... it can use up battery!

I don't disagree with turning off LTE.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You've gotten 6 hours out of 30% of the battery. That implies about 15 hours before you need to recharge, even more in a pinch. Many people would kill for that kind of battery life.

What are you comparing to? This is a smartphone with (probably) lots of data updates in the background. That's going to use battery. It's got a big, bright screen that uses a lot more battery than the small screen on other phones.

The only thing that really looks out of whack is cell standby, which is probably explained by your weak signal. Tap on that row of your battery display and see what the detail says.

Other things you can do: check to see what apps are syncing in the background. The more you've got syncing, and the more frequently, the more radio you use and the more battery (especially with a weak signal). In Settings, scroll down to Accounts, open each account in turn, and see what is syncing and how frequently. Turn off things you don't really need, or set them to sync less frequently.

And turn off the anti-virus. Unless you're prone to side-loading apps from unknown sources, you really don't need one on an Android phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You've gotten 6 hours out of 30% of the battery. That implies about 15 hours before you need to recharge, even more in a pinch. Many people would kill for that kind of battery life.

What are you comparing to? This is a smartphone with (probably) lots of data updates in the background. That's going to use battery. It's got a big, bright screen that uses a lot more battery than the small screen on other phones.

The only thing that really looks out of whack is cell standby, which is probably explained by your weak signal. Tap on that row of your battery display and see what the detail says.

Other things you can do: check to see what apps are syncing in the background. The more you've got syncing, and the more frequently, the more radio you use and the more battery (especially with a weak signal). In Settings, scroll down to Accounts, open each account in turn, and see what is syncing and how frequently. Turn off things you don't really need, or set them to sync less frequently.

And turn off the anti-virus. Unless you're prone to side-loading apps from unknown sources, you really don't need one on an Android phone.

Lookout doesn't eat battery and it is much more than anti-virus.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lookout seems to be eating a bunch of the OP's battery.

Nope, as you see in the above screenshot, not even running now. The previous one, it could have just done the weekly scan or scanned downloaded apps or a number of things. I've had Lookout for years on various devices, it has never been a battery eater.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would still get rid of Lookout... what does it even do? I remember reading articles before about how anti-virus apps for phones basically do nothing and just make profit by taking advantage of people's fears.

S SPERRY

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Disable the applications you don't need or use. Settings>applications manager>Scroll to All (far right) touch the app u want to disable. Instead of force close hit remove update .Then disable will show touch disable. all apps that you disable will be at the bottom of all apps.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Settings>applications manager>Scroll to All (far right) touch the app u want to disable. Instead of force close hit remove update .Then disable will show touch disable. all apps that you disable will be at the bottom of all apps.

When I tried to do this I don't get a disable message.. It says "The application will be replaced with the factory version." ???

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Geez...you have about 6 hours and 40 minutes on 30% of battery. If you extrapolate that out, you'd get about 20 hours on 90% (6.75 hours * 3) and you'd still have 10% remaining, which means you're probably looking around 22 hours of battery life. Let me repeat that in larger text: Over 20 hours!

What kind of battery life are you expecting?!?! That's pretty decent and will get you through a full day. Are you coming from an old dumbphone that didn't actually do anything and expecting 2 or 3 days?

Also, IMO, you seem to be way too worried about your "running tasks" list. Android manages that fine, although as others pointed out you can certainly disable some apps things if you aren't using them, but on a whole, you shouldn't really have to manage those tasks. I think you're worrying a lot for nothing.

I personally don't use Lookout or another virus app. I would if I was in the habit of downloading and installing pirated apps or a lot of "Hot Girlz Wallpaperz!" apps, but I'm not and stick to reputable sources such as the Play Store that have safety measures in place. To each their own on this though, as it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Anyways, I think you're making too much out of what is basically normal operation. My two cents.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Evil. I guess because it's a new phone I was worried about it, but after reading all these posts, I guess I'm pretty normal. That is a good thing!!! Now I can relax and enjoy my wonderful phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I would still get rid of Lookout... what does it even do? I remember reading articles before about how anti-virus apps for phones basically do nothing and just make profit by taking advantage of people's fears.

Again, it has security to scan apps, it has security to find a missing device, it will even back up your device, among other things. Lookout is not something that needs to be removed if she likes the app.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
When I tried to do this I don't get a disable message.. It says "The application will be replaced with the factory version." ???

Yes, exactly..that is "uninstalling the updates" and then after it finishes, go back like you are going to disable it again and the disable function should be there.

dee632

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a VZW S3. They let me out of my contract because so many calls were being dropped. They came out and checked and said I was in a poor reception area. I bought the new S3 at Metro PCS because they were offering it for $519. It seems to be working somewhat better than Verizon did. I still have the old S3 in case I have to go back to VZW but so far things are going OK.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I had a VZW S3. They let me out of my contract because so many calls were being dropped. They came out and checked and said I was in a poor reception area. I bought the new S3 at Metro PCS because they were offering it for $519. It seems to be working somewhat better than Verizon did. I still have the old S3 in case I have to go back to VZW but so far things are going OK.

Is the S3 your first smartphone?