Is Verizon Worth It?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I ask this because I have Sprint and ever since I upgraded in October the service has been hit or miss, at my house it's decent (if you call <1mbps decent) but usually whenever I go places like out to eat, work, stores...the service is always slow, sometimes loses data connection but I've never had a dropped call tho

I've been toying around with the idea of just paying the ETF around October and either going VZW or ATT, I've had VZW about 6 years ago and never had problems but I've never had ATT before, tho I like the idea of switching sim cards freely but I tend to only do that because its real easy to do. The coverage areas for both are equal with VZW giving LTE versus ATT not. I live east of the Houston area and I highly doubt sprint LTE will cover this whole Houston metro area at launch. :-\

What are some of yall's experiences with VZW? Do you really get what you pay for? or even if you switched between both services, oh and for the math wizzes lol I'm looking at the invidivual line for both with equally run me $89.99 before taxes, about how much would a 15% or 20% discount bring me down to? Any replies would be appreciated :D

How do you get verizon for 90 bucks?

I priced what I had with sprint with verizon and they wanted to charge me 130 a month for one line.

That's BEFORE traces and fees.

If it's only 90, I'd day it's worth it only if you doing use much data.

If you do, then no it isn't.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How do you get verizon for 90 bucks?

I priced what I had with sprint with verizon and they wanted to charge me 130 a month for one line.

That's BEFORE traces and fees.

If it's only 90, I'd day it's worth it only if you doing use much data.

If you do, then no it isn't.

Currently, it would be $90 minimum for anyone switching to a smartphone on Verizon. That's only 1GB of data though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Currently, it would be $90 minimum for anyone switching to a smartphone on Verizon. That's only 1GB of data though.

That isn't even worth it

Paying more for less

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
If you absolutely must have coverage virtually everywhere, then yes. My job has taken me all across the country, and Verizon always had coverage wherever I went. That is important enough to just if t cost to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought you were one of us who said you would never give up unlimited data?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I know I was but I was also misinformed. I decided to take the plunge. Sorry for the shake up. Lol. Actually benefits me financially. Anything to save a buck right now is important.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you absolutely must have coverage virtually everywhere, then yes. My job has taken me all across the country, and Verizon always had coverage wherever I went. That is important enough to just if t cost to me.

Did you use any other carriers to compare?

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you use any other carriers to compare?

Sprint in Denver and South Carolina. At&t a long time ago in South Carolina, and their current stated coverage (according to their coverage map) does not cover the areas I need now.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
There are apps like Sensorly that allow Android users to gather signal strength data for independent comparison. If enough users in your area are using it, you'll have an excellent comparison tool to help you assess coverage without having to believe the lies that are carrier coverage maps.

If there aren't enough users in your area using it, download it and add to the database! :D

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You do know that boost is part of sprint and works off of there towers I mean I have sprint and I have services any where I go

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

yeah so I'm wondering how he can have such good coverage with boost since it is a sprint network. I was thinking of going with the smart talk to that you can get at Walmart that is a Verizon provider but I hear that for some reason these flat rate phone services don't get as good service from the towers I don't know if that's true or not though. Not even sure why I mean you'd think if it's Verizon it's Verizon if it's Sprint its Sprint. The limited phone selection bugs me but it does seem like they're getting a little better with that.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah so I'm wondering how he can have such good coverage with boost since it is a sprint network. I was thinking of going with the smart talk to that you can get at Walmart that is a Verizon provider but I hear that for some reason these flat rate phone services don't get as good service from the towers I don't know if that's true or not though. Not even sure why I mean you'd think if it's Verizon it's Verizon if it's Sprint its Sprint. The limited phone selection bugs me but it does seem like they're getting a little better with that.

Sent from my AWESOME Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2 :)

Those services only rent out so many towers. They don't have access to every Verizon it Sprint tower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I had Sprint for about 6-7 years and it was really bad. I have sense gone to ATT and I love it there! Speeds are much better. HSPA+ is running around 6meg down and 1 up. Where as Sprint was going around 400K down and 300K up on a good day.

I also looked at Verizon and they where about $12 more than ATT. But I pay less and get a lot more with ATT. Anyways I would go with whatever works best for you. If money is your #1 important then Sprint..Coverage? Then whatever is best in your area. Like for me money and coverage is important. I don't need LTE so I went with ATT who will add LTE at some point but I pay less for them!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if the individual plans are still available? If not then it's looking like ATT will be the better option

Try ordering here: https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic/

6aSOi.jpg

I was able to get an Individual plan - but didn't go forward since I'm not ordering.