Its not Samsung holding back Froyo

strikethree

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung Vibrant, on Froyo. It works great.... its a leak and it works just fine. Its the Carriers. The Captivate had a leak what? Two months ago? It was very stable etc. Its the carriers just not treating these devices as flag ship devices, they don't care about it as much as their Evo or Droid X, or their MyTouch 4g. Its the carriers and what they want to do, not Samsung. All Galaxy S devices have Froyo in the UK. We are all just assuming it's Samsung because it has Samsungs name plastered all over the device.

Sent from my Nexus S

That doesn't sound like the reports of Canadian Vibrant owners who had their phones bricked after getting updates. Even Samsung admitted there are software issues that they needed to fix. (They've been talking about bugs since Froyo came out) Just because it works fine for one person doesn't mean the build is stable.

And the UK froyo update is very recent. It still took what? 6 months to update?

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Bell Vibrant and I didn't find out about the Bell Galaxy's randomly bricking on FroYo until AFTER I did the update (I updated via Kies before it was pulled). I did the update about 3 weeks ago and so far everything is working perfectly. I don't think EVERY phone is bricking, but obviously it's a fairly widespread issue as Samsung has pulled the update.

bmw-sf

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Because when we do get froyo everyone else will already have gingerbread. Them they will tell us countless times "next month next month next month." No matter who is at fault for not getting it to us, it is a little rediculous. Guess what, everything has a couple bugs so stop trying to "perfect" it. Give it to us then update as needed like they've always done with htc and the like.

I totally agree. Windows sells us half-baked-ware. Mac sends us huge downloads monthly. Linux updates each kernel, app and script on the fly. AND, Google OS does the same.

So, really what is so unique about this situation? Samsung has no experience in rolling out operating systems and the carriers have even less. They've ALL bitten off more than they can chew plus Google will continue to crank out Android updates DAILY (if you subscribe to nightly builds).

Uh, and all the new tablets have at least Froyo including, uh, uh, Samsung!

Buying a smartphone should be like buying a laptop; the bloatware comes at purchase but never in the updates.

I vote to put the updates in the hands of the developer and the developer only like with every other operating system...Google.

It's time to send a message to not just Samsung but to all carriers they only get one bite at the apple that being at the time of purchase. This doesn't need government intervention whatsoever. Let's play in the "free market" the way Big Corp wants it. We as consumers have absolutely no influence directly on the board of directors even as shareholders.

But, we do have influence on their pocketbook with sales. The power of influence we have is with either purchase or boycott; pay the monthly bill or not.

Which do you choose?

superbike81

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Wow, I'm surprised you guys don't have it yet. I just got my Galaxy S SC-02B here in Japan, but it's been out since October and it's got 2.2 on it. If anything I figured that the US carriers would have released it well before the Japanese carrier.

Also, the rep at Docomo (the Japanese Galaxy S carrier) said that they are expecting a 2.3 update for the Galaxy S in March, but I'm not sure how seriously to take a sales rep's word.

superbike81

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
But, we do have influence on their pocketbook with sales. The power of influence we have is with either purchase or boycott; pay the monthly bill or not.

Which do you choose?

While I agree with your passion and your basic idea, you won't find many willing to not pay the bill which will ruin their credit rating. I'm really not sure why it's taking so long to get in the US, doesn't make any sense to me. How long has 2.2 been out now?

bat2142

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
It's official - No upgrade to Froyo/2.2 for US Vibrant Customers

Ok people I just read this off the Samsung Web Site. Don't hate the messanger. I rooted my phon and now I'm glad. Here is the link.

Read and write reviews for Samsung SGH-T959ZKATMB

That's right, as per Samsung, us Samsung Vibrant owners in the US are NOT getting Froyo 2.2 or any other upgrade on this phone for that matter. After going through about 3 levels of Support/Technical Support, a high-level manager told me that this simply isn't coming. The problem is the integration with the Samsung user interface customizations. Without the update to Froyo, many apps don't work/are simply unavailable. The update exists in other countries, however, Samsung is blocking the IMEI in these phones and preventing an update.