I've got the Huawei P9, you've got questions — fire away!

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
2 main questions.

Based on first impressions, did you find it a little bit more difficult to nail a shot due to the lack of OIS?

And has Huawei finally sorted out EMUI's nagging system notifications?
OIS doesn't seem to make a difference when focusing, but you definitely miss it in night shots.

Notifications are less of a mess than before, but still not the same as stock.
QC 3.0? How much in U.S.D.?

Posted via the Android Central App
No US price yet. Expect it to be pretty expensive if you import.

No QC3 with the bundled charger. Need to investigate further to see if it'll go higher than 5v/2a with a third party brick.

I'm assuming this phone can't be used on Verizon ?
correct

Alex, what are the LTE band options on this device? Will it be compatible with t-mo or at&t you think?
Should have the main bands for both, but double check with wherever you import from.

Is the P9 coming to the US?
Not in its current form.

Hi
Q1) Does it shoot in RAW format like Huawei N6P ?

Q2) Does it have any build in AMP & DAC ?

Thanks

Apparently it supports the relevant camera APIs, but I'm not seeing a raw mode in the stock camera app.

how is the hybrid auto focus feature? could you post some samples of depth-of-field pictures

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites...rw/public/article_images/2016/04/p9-dof_0.jpg

CrimsonRonin

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Thoughts?

i think its done for me, i don't even need to look for more samples, the Kirin ISP is still prehistoric, all the hype is nothing

gsmarena_002.jpg

gsmarena_004.jpg

gsmarena_003.jpg

gsmarena_001.jpg

enlarge and check 1:1, this is a disaster

dkionline

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
OIS doesn't seem to make a difference when focusing, but you definitely miss it in night shots.

Notifications are less of a mess than before, but still not the same as stock.
No US price yet. Expect it to be pretty expensive if you import.

No QC3 with the bundled charger. Need to investigate further to see if it'll go higher than 5v/2a with a third party brick.

correct

Should have the main bands for both, but double check with wherever you import from.

Not in its current form.

Apparently it supports the relevant camera APIs, but I'm not seeing a raw mode in the stock camera app.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sites...rw/public/article_images/2016/04/p9-dof_0.jpg
RAW is listed after pro gets activated.

anon(9163873)

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Has the new camera setup done in partnership with leica improved the camera to S7's level of experience and quality?

Posted via the Android Central App

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Does this support wi-fi calling for a provider like t-Mobile? Their customer support says they do, but its hard to believe

There are Wi-Fi calling settings on the P9, yes. So as a phone it supports it.

As for T-Mobile, I cannot answer. Being in the UK it would be irresponsible to guess.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Does Richard have a race car fast enough to outrun the Chinese thought police when they see the things that you two like to do with your phones?

If you hold it up to your ear in the still of the night when the moon is full, can you hear speeches from Chairman Mao coming from the communist silicon?

Did you get an #OO tattoo? Is it somewhere we can see it, or is it on a place on your body only a degenerate from the west would get tattooed?

In before MERICA hateses Spinese phones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Does Richard have a race car fast enough to outrun the Chinese thought police when they see the things that you two like to do with your phones?

If you hold it up to your ear in the still of the night when the moon is full, can you hear speeches from Chairman Mao coming from the communist silicon?

Did you get an #OO tattoo? Is it somewhere we can see it, or is it on a place on your body only a degenerate from the west would get tattooed?

In before MERICA hateses Spinese phones.
Jerry, I spit out nearly all of my drink all over my phone while reading that. And I'm still laughing pretty hard now.

That’s a classic right there.

(I live by 3 words. fastboot flashing unlock)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah.... looking at those gsmarena test stills, I'm not all that impressed. There's a LOT of digital junk, smudged up details... there's a surprising lack of finite detail in every shot, even the B&W image, which doesn't involve any image merging based on their press material. The 1:1 looks are kind of a mess, if you showed me those I would in no way, shape or form say there was any benefit to a dual camera.

Much disappoint. :) I mean, the concept should allow for some incredible pictures... razor sharp detail (without the processing artifacts), excellent dynamic range, etc. The approach is used in optical astronomy to great effect, and there are ground based telescopes that use a similar mechanism (along with some other tricks) to lead to images with resolution that's absolutely staggering. I', going to chalk this up to "because first"... and hope that subsequent attempts will lead to better quality.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah.... looking at those gsmarena test stills, I'm not all that impressed. There's a LOT of digital junk, smudged up details... there's a surprising lack of finite detail in every shot, even the B&W image, which doesn't involve any image merging based on their press material. The 1:1 looks are kind of a mess, if you showed me those I would in no way, shape or form say there was any benefit to a dual camera.

Much disappoint. :) I mean, the concept should allow for some incredible pictures... razor sharp detail (without the processing artifacts), excellent dynamic range, etc. The approach is used in optical astronomy to great effect, and there are ground based telescopes that use a similar mechanism (along with some other tricks) to lead to images with resolution that's absolutely staggering. I', going to chalk this up to "because first"... and hope that subsequent attempts will lead to better quality.
I just looked at them, and what hit me at first was "Where's all the detail?"

To my eyes, it's apparent that there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail in the P9's camera. Some might say it's due to the 12-megapixel resolution, but I don't really think the 12MP resolution is really to blame here. I zoomed in and there seems to be quite a bit of digital-noise and the noise-reduction is kinda smudgy. Dynamic range is also kinda "Ehhh", but I've seen worse.

As of this time, I don't think there's any benefit to a dual-camera setup like this. It has potential, but for some reason, it isn't fully realized yet. I'm chalking this up to software processing and I hope that Huawei/Leica will improve the way images are processed because this camera has potential and it needs the software to realize it. If it's hardware, well, at least they're the first to do it this way?

(The GSMArena shots I looked at are here. Leo probably used the same set.We have Huawei P9 camera samples, check them out - GSMArena blog)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To my eyes, it's apparent that there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail in the P9's camera. Some might say it's due to the 12-megapixel resolution, but I don't really think the 12MP resolution is really to blame here.

That 12MP has less detail is a myth actually. If you crop a 16:9 16MP to 4:3, you get a 12MP picture. Any 'loss of detail' will be related to differences in field of view, which isn't really a loss in detail in the first place.

Besides... Both the S7 and 6P are 12mp and the pictures they push out are light years beyond what we saw here.

New tech, needs some seasoning.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That 12MP has less detail is a myth actually. If you crop a 16:9 16MP to 4:3, you get a 12MP picture. Any 'loss of detail' will be related to differences in field of view, which isn't really a loss in detail in the first place.

Besides... Both the S7 and 6P are 12mp and the pictures they push out are light years beyond what we saw here.

New tech, needs some seasoning.
That's what I thought too.

I've used a couple of 12MP cameras and I never found any loss of detail compared to my G4. So when I saw how the P9's photos seem to lack any sense of detail despite having that resolution, I'm pretty certain that it has to be something else.

I'm thinking that it's smudgy noise-reduction or maybe the way the phone takes the imaging data from the 2 sensors is a bit iffy right now.

Well, it is decidedly "First-Gen", and that's pretty much what I think.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej