Jelly bean update and bluetooth Calling issue

robtuck

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have an 08 G37 and having the same issue after todays JB update. I tried in my BMW 550 and MB ML450 - no problems. I believe this is a problem with the Galaxy S3 update not the carrier for sure!

SanjaySee

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any resolution to this yet? I just got my Verizon S3 updated and as soon as I did it the bluetooth connection in my 2007 G35 stopped working. Verizon have taken this as a product issue but no real progress on solving the issue.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of one yet. Its a waiting game. I know Samsung has released the Premium Package for S3 in Poland and Korea so the US will definitely be getting that shortly, by that I'm guessing Q1 2013. So far I just call TMO weekly and complain - got me out of my 2 year contract and a 100$ for my trouble (I use it for work and constantly in the car). If the issue reaches a certain capacity they'll hopefully push something pre premium package. Other than that have Verizon send you a replacement and don't update till 4.1.2

Its annoying and I've just kinda learned to live with it because there isn't another phone I'd want to switch to. I wonder if the international version has the same problem. Anyone weigh in?

oube00

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely not a carrier issue. It's something to do with a compatibility issue between 4.1.1 on S3 and the Bluetooth system of Infiniti!!! It's so frustrating because the only way to fix this issue now would be to roll back to ICS which sucks. let's hope that the next update 4.1.2 fixes the issue.

Has anybody tried the custom ROM CM10 to see if it fixes the problem?

colortheorydeveloper

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Google has changed the bluetooth stack since 4.1.1 and the issue still remains on 4.1.2. Now I am wondering how this will eventually get resolved. There are probably still serious bluetooth issues in existance with the latest builds that they are doing with the new bluetooth stack. Hopefully this will be resolved in quarter one of next year.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue since my VZ update and my 2010 Audi A4. I contacted Audi and was told that the S3 only works with Audi A4's newer than 2012 which is absurd. Also the latest bluetooth version from Audi is compatible with 4.04. This is extremely frustrating since I have an old bluetooth headset (Plantronics 520) which connected and worked immediately.

stupage

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon and a 2010 VW Tiguan. When I drove to work in the morning the bluetooth connection on my S3 was fine. I updated to Jelly Bean while at the office and when I drove home from work it could not hold a BT connection for more than 30 seconds. It also does not import my contacts and calls, which were in there prior to the Jelly Bean update. Very frustrating. Samsung has to iron this out quickly!

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon and a 2010 VW Tiguan. When I drove to work in the morning the bluetooth connection on my S3 was fine. I updated to Jelly Bean while at the office and when I drove home from work it could not hold a BT connection for more than 30 seconds. It also does not import my contacts and calls, which were in there prior to the Jelly Bean update. Very frustrating. Samsung has to iron this out quickly!
I've spoken to Samsung and they say it's an Audi (in my case) issue. I have spoken to Audi and they won't promise anything since my car is apparently "old" after two years. This is extremely frustrating as I make business calls from the car at times and need them to sound clear.

socal.mdb

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Update.

After speaking with Samsung customer service and being told it was not their problem, that AT&T accepted the software and that it is HIGHLY unlikely the issue will be address in any future software updates and they can't possibly ensure that the phone will work with all cars (even though the last version did), :mad: I contacted AT&T again.

They sent us two new phones with ice cream sandwich and everything is back to normal.

ma3loom

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Update.

After speaking with Samsung customer service and being told it was not their problem, that AT&T accepted the software and that it is HIGHLY unlikely the issue will be address in any future software updates and they can't possibly ensure that the phone will work with all cars (even though the last version did), :mad: I contacted AT&T again.

They sent us two new phones with ice cream sandwich and everything is back to normal.

That's the usual PR bull they run with any calls. I went and test drove the Audi S4 2013 and had the same issue with my S3 - so its a load of crap. Bluetooth profiles are always backwards compatible, since I started using an old flip phone in my car for the interim (Phone is circa 2001, so i don't know what they are smoking). There has to be a way to get his issue noticed, because I called TMO yesterday and they said there is no knowledge base to date about the issue, which is bs since I've complained numerous times so there should be at least one. I'm going to try and reach out to someone from Android Central and see if they have any idea how to bring this issue to the forefront, since I'm getting the blame game as well. Call samsung they blame Infiniti, who then blame TMO. If anyone has any thoughts too, would be great

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Update.

With Verizon sooner or later the update forces itself to install. I would assume that's the same with all carriers. To me a carrier sending phones with an outdated OS is a bandaid not a fix.

Vicbbinatl

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi-

Very similar issues with the Verizon Galaxy S 3 Jelly Bean 4.1. 1 and a 2011 Infinity G37 Convertible.

Pairs normally for voice but cannot pair audio (music player). Voice connections sound normal to me but the other end says it sounds terrible. Performed the hard resets, same issues Verizon blames the car (of course) however Samsung indicated they were aware of some Bluetooth profile issues and took all the details.

So for now, no Bluetooth in the car until some kind of fix comes along..... Or I put my phone backwards one OS.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I only use Bluetooth for my phone calls as my car doesn't have bluetooth audio. I did a factory reset on Xmas and my prior problems of my bluetooth dropping seems to have mostly disappeared. I did notice that it dropped completely once but came back and the bars don't match the phone (car shows two bars when phone shows five) but is "seems" to be usable. More driving will give more specifics but these are my preliminary results after a factory reset. Seems like a lot of work to fix this problem but now that it's done it seems worth it to me.

ComputerJAM

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following the direction this thread is going.

I too, am having some bluetooth issues with my GS3 Tmobile with 4.1.1 and a Plantronics headset. The headset also connects simultaneously to my work Blackberry 9930.

Anyhow, you guys are saying that after you updated to 4.1 the bluetooth issues started to appear. Then some of you are saying that when you rolled back to ICS 4.0 the problems stopped.

What does this problem have to to with Audi, BMW or any other car manufacturer? and what does it have to do with Samsung, or Tmobile or AT&T? Besides them providing an update from Google.

It seems like the fingers should be pointed at the OS maker, in this case Google, since they broke it with the update. Que no?

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm following the direction this thread is going.

I too, am having some bluetooth issues with my GS3 Tmobile with 4.1.1 and a Plantronics headset. The headset also connects simultaneously to my work Blackberry 9930.

Anyhow, you guys are saying that after you updated to 4.1 the bluetooth issues started to appear. Then some of you are saying that when you rolled back to ICS 4.0 the problems stopped.

What does this problem have to to with Audi, BMW or any other car manufacturer? and what does it have to do with Samsung, or Tmobile or AT&T? Besides them providing an update from Google.

It seems like the fingers should be pointed at the OS maker, in this case Google, since they broke it with the update. Que no?
For me it has to do with Audi since I use their built-in bluetooth to make and receive calls while in the car. According to Audi's website the bluetooth driver they include is only certified to work with Android 4.04... In my mind it's partly Samsung's issue because they included the driver without thoroughly testing it with their version of Android. It's partly Audi's issue since they haven't updated the driver yet. And, of course, it's Google's issue for releasing the driver in the first place.

mburt007

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Here is my understanding and my situation. The problem seems to be narrowed to the s3 as someone said a note 2 was unaffected. What happens (seems to be mostly nissan/infiniti) is when you upgrade your os from ics to jb it over modulates for lack of a better term, short version is when you are on a call you can't understand them and they can't understand you. If you roll back to ics (if you are rooted) or if not rooted, have the carrier send you a new or reconditioned phone that has ics, everything works again. Seems to me it may be combination Google/Samsung problem because supposedly the Samsung Note 2 running JB works fine.

What I know is everything works now on both our phone and although it was a pain in the a$$ to reinstall everything and lose all the settings, it was worth it to be able to talk while driving our 2008 Infiniti G37s. The 2012 Toyota Tundra worked fine both before and after the upgrade. Hope that helps.

DOUGLAS HOYT

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My problems with the Bluetooth began immediately after the forced update by Verizon. Not Samsung and Not Google. It would not maintain a connection with my 2010 Touareg, a VW that is part of the VW-Audi-Porsche Group. Today I stopped in at a Verizon store, a company store not a franchise, and they fooled around with it and pushed a lot of buttons and came to the point that by removing the battery and restarting S3 it would be better. It took it several tries but it did finally pair up again. But it is still acting strange and when I get a call and answer it, there is nothing and then after some time I will hear the person talking.

The other solution they offered was to do a factory reset which means that you have to back up everything and then reinstall all the applications you have and hope the data gets back in. They offered to get me a "new" phone but at some point the new software would make it back in. So what is the point.

The other not noticed before item is this "Driving Mode" that shows up in the top banner. What is that all about and does it have anything to do with bluetooth?

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
For me it has to do with Audi since I use their built-in bluetooth to make and receive calls while in the car. According to Audi's website the bluetooth driver they include is only certified to work with Android 4.04... In my mind it's partly Samsung's issue because they included the driver without thoroughly testing it with their version of Android. It's partly Audi's issue since they haven't updated the driver yet. And, of course, it's Google's issue for releasing the driver in the first place.

I have a SG3 running 4.1.1 on TMob, I also have an Audi S5 2013, Ive had no problem whatsoever, wife tells me calls are clear with no dropped calls or breakups.
Sorry to mess things up, but now Ive got my fingers crossed nothing goes bad.