Kit Kat gave life back to my Note 4. I didn't like Lollipop

dconner9

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I traded in my iphone 18 months ago because of their annoying and difficult to use upgrade. Now my Android has turned into an iphone :( Supposedly lots of people love the new lollipop, but lollipops are for kids. Reduced accessibility for us folks over 40, make this new interface very difficult to use.

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I downgraded because I didn't like a few bugs I came across in lollipop. (I started a new thread listing these). I was able to stop the update notification without rooting also. There are two software update applications in the application manager area. One of them can be disabled. If you disable that and also in the About Device section turn off automatically check out updates, it won't update. Don't worry, it gives you time to do this when you're setting your phone back up on Kitkat without it prompting. The good part is this app remains disabled even after rebooting your phone so you can enable it and install lollipop any time you want after that.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I find Lollipop just as good as Kit Kat. Really don't understand why people seem to have soo many problems with it. My phones just fine with it!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4

Yeah I don't understand it either. My phone is noticeably faster and have better battery life on Lollipop

Posted Via The AT&T Note 4

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't understand it either. My phone is noticeably faster and have better battery life on Lollipop

I'm thankful you got lucky with lollipop. I was not so lucky on my s5. Far too many bugs and a broken hotspot. So I had to buy a note 4 outright and shut down it's ability to update. I'll watch the future releases of lollipop and decide if I want to chance it on my terms. Which is weird since I've always been excited about updates.

BullGuard8

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'm perfectly happy keeping my Note 4 on KitKat for the rest of its life and will look for a newer version of Android on a future device (ex. Note 5 or 6). :) Did the same thing with my old Note 2 (froze it on Jelly Bean. Still works great!). From my experience, I've found the original release software a device comes with tends to be the most stable and reliable as it's had time to mature with Google releasing numerous iterations with bug fixes and the OEM has also had the most time to fully test that latest build to work well with the design of the device.

Also change for the sake of change isn't good either, which is what Lollipop seems to be more about than anything else. Good examples of this are the new mute and notification systems and the new predictive battery graph. These are over-engineered changes that don't fix anything (nothing wrong with prior functionality) and actually create issues where previously there were none. :(

Exactly man! Same thing with iToys....... if you buy let's say an iPhone 4 S, it runs great on iOS 6, a bit crippled on iOS 7 but still bearable.......come iOS 8 with the forced upgrade, and the phone is crippled so bad you'd have to sell it an upgrade to a new phone! That's what Samsung is doing but luckily, we can install our own OS and root to stop this nonesense

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine too. Others get different results. I didn't clear or reset anything. Battery is the same. Guess Lollipop's battery improvements were not much.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I went from Note 3 to 4; 3 Died after not much more than a year. As long as the 4 doesn't die after only a year I'll consider the 5 but not for a year; even if it comes out early like many people think. If they do go to Quad HD I don't think my eyes would notice.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I went from Note 3 to 4; 3 Died after not much more than a year. As long as the 4 doesn't die after only a year I'll consider the 5 but not for a year; even if it comes out early like many people think. If they do go to Quad HD I don't think my eyes would notice.

Clearing cache might have made the battery better.

My Note 4 battery is much better than my Note 3 battery.

Also my S5 did better on Lollipop with the battery than it did on KitKat.

Racinghart91

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I'd love to have Kit Kat back but I don't want to root my phone.

i can help you out of that dream, you dont have to root your phone to downgrade !
grab your firmware from sammobile and flash it with odin !

i did this to, and i love my phone again, rubbish lollipop

gedzum

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
One thing that stood out to me is that it seems to bundle some notifications together. For example, FB messenger conversations. I preferred it when it showed different chats separately. Not a huge deal, but is there a setting I'm missing or something?

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm thankful you got lucky with lollipop. I was not so lucky on my s5. Far too many bugs and a broken hotspot. So I had to buy a note 4 outright and shut down it's ability to update. I'll watch the future releases of lollipop and decide if I want to chance it on my terms. Which is weird since I've always been excited about updates.

Well the S5 and Note 4 are 2 different classes of phones. The AT&T Note 4 won't allow you to stop automatic updates which I find ridiculous. But luckily my Note 4 has been amazing on Lollipop 5.0.1. I can't wait until they release 5.1 but I will probably have my Note 5 before that happens :)

A lot of issues were because people refused to clear their system cache and factory reset their phone after the update. My Note was fine after the update even before I cleared my system cache and did the factory reset. I understand it's a pain to have to reset your phone but it's worth it if your having issues.

The same people that complained when Kit Kat was released are complaining about Lollipop.

calebleesdad

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
I only had one major issue with upgrade to lollipop: I couldn't use my note 4 as a hotspot. Resolved once I reset to factory settings which I didn't do after upgrade. I didn't realize a restart was not the sane as a factory reset. No problems now. No lag and battery is fine. Phone feels snappier overall.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Well the S5 and Note 4 are 2 different classes of phones. The AT&T Note 4 won't allow you to stop automatic updates which I find ridiculous. But luckily my Note 4 has been amazing on Lollipop 5.0.1. I can't wait until they release 5.1 but I will probably have my Note 5 before that happens :)

A lot of issues were because people refused to clear their system cache and factory reset their phone after the update. My Note was fine after the update even before I cleared my system cache and did the factory reset. I understand it's a pain to have to reset your phone but it's worth it if your having issues.

The same people that complained when Kit Kat was released are complaining about Lollipop.

Clearing the cache and factory resets did nothing for me. I ALWAYS factory reset immediately after an update. I did several more cache clears and factory resets but I was still bug ridden and with a broken hotspot.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Clearing the cache and factory resets did nothing for me. I ALWAYS factory reset immediately after an update. I did several more cache clears and factory resets but I was still bug ridden and with a broken hotspot.

Sorry to hear that. Who is your carrier? Also like I said the Note 4 is a much better device then the S5 is.

I was referring to people who had issues with Lollipop on the Note 4 not the S5. I prefer the Note series myself. My next device will be a Note 5 regardless if they remove expandable storeage and removable battery.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. Who is your carrier? Also like I said the Note 4 is a much better device then the S5 is.

I was referring to people who had issues with Lollipop on the Note 4 not the S5. I prefer the Note series myself. My next device will be a Note 5 regardless if they remove expandable storeage and removable battery.

I'm with sprint. I said what I did about cache clearing on the s5 because I wonder if maybe some of the note 4 people with issues did do the cache clears and factory resets too.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm with sprint. I said what I did about cache clearing on the s5 because I wonder if maybe some of the note 4 people with issues did do the cache clears and factory resets too.

I find less people do a reset these days, not sure about them doing a wipe cache.

My experience around here, more people did a reset after update, because a lot of us found it did clear up some buggy issues. Many of the regulars here used to just automatically to a reset, didn't wait to see if they needed it

I've seen a lot of people now saying you shouldn't have to reset and many not doing it. I've been updating phones since Froyo with many people here, many have come and gone, and the majority of us just planned for the reset and that was part of the update. A few would wait and if they saw one issue, they would reset.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Lollipop turned my note 4 from my greatest tool into my greatest hinderance. I'll have to read up in how to go back to kit kat.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg