LG G3 suddenly overheating and draining battery rapidly

A

AC Question

About four days ago I charged my phone in the morning as I usually do, and the battery was completely run down by mid-morning. At the time I assumed it was just that I overused it and recharged it, only for it to completely die again by that evening, and after another full charge it died again overnight. For context, my battery usually lasts (depending upon usage) 18-36 hours. Additionally, I noticed it was seriously overheating, and at the recommendation of another question on this forum downloaded GSAM which alerted me to the fact that my phone was running at over 100 degree Fahrenheit even in standby, and even warmer if I did anything. The buttons and screen were more or less constantly warm as well, although since then there have been periods where the phone cools down and the battery drain is lessened. It is never permanent though, unfortunately.

In addition to the above I found several other program problems that started at the same time; alarms are going off ten to fifteen minutes later than I scheduled them, if I lock my phone by pressing the rear power button it did not switch from the first lock screen to the one requiring a password no matter how long I waited, and battery saver mode was no longer turning on when the battery got low (though when I did turn it on the battery seemed to drain even faster, though that may have been an isolated incident).

My phone is not rooted, I have downloaded nothing recently besides GSAM after the fact (and the most suspicious app I ever had was Amazon's app, or arguably the Humble Bundle app). Since then I have reduced my screen brightness from 50% to 25%, deleted a lot of old apps that have not updated in a while, removed my SD card, and removed the phone case, all to no effect. GSAM for a while was telling me that screen was draining most of the battery, but now it mostly focuses upon apps > Android System (and to a lesser extent Android OS) as the culprit(s) of battery drain, which unfortunately does not do a good job of pinpointing the problem given how many processes that those two devices use.

Finally, if I turn off my phone it helps for a little while and the phone cools down, but it usually warms up again a few minutes after turning off.

Overall, I assume that there is a legitimate problem here and it is not just something that the phone just does, but my normal resources are no longer enough, so I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the T-Mobile version D851... I was having a similar issue until I decided to rooted the phone, removed all crapware installed... Then I installed from the store the app called root booster... Then in WiFi settings... Go to the advanced WiFi settings... Unchecked allow WiFi scanning and passpoint... After u do all and ran the root booster... Reboot phone. You will not suffer anymore of overheating and battery life will improve.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I have unchecked "allow Wi-Fi scanning", but rooting my phone is an option I would not prefer if there is an alternative available.
You can go back if you reset to factory settings... It's just a temporary thing to improve the battery life until marshmallow is available in the LG G3. It is supposed to improve battery life.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk