LG G4- New battery but its still overheating and draining like crazy

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

About a week ago my LG G4 began to die very quickly. It would be in my pocket, screen off, for most of the day and suddenly only have around 15% battery. This was not only annoying but a safety concern (as a woman, walking home alone very late at night in a large city with a phone that had suddenly and unexpectedly died is scary af). So I bought a new powerbear battery (the original one was 3 years old so I figured it was worn out) which worked wonderfully... for the first day. I conditioned it as instructed by letting it drain completely and then charging it all the way each time. That first time it lasted 19hrs. The next time it lasted maybe 12hrs (and I was using it far less that day). But on the third day it got really bad: it lost 20% of its battery within the first hour after charging and died after about 10hrs (it only lasted that long because I barely used it that day); when I recharged it that same day, it began losing battery at a rate of 1% every 2min so that with 80% it said I had 2.5 hours left! The phone has been overheating especially while/right after charging--at one point I was in a cold room and the phone cooled down quickly and then the battery was pretty good. Now I consistently lose 20% almost immediately after unplugging, and it lasts 9-5 hours depending on how much I have to use it. I don't have many apps and pretty much only use the phone for texting, reading emails, and spotify, so none of the apps seem to be sucking up power. Battery usage says the biggest users are the screen (which I keep at 25-30% brightness so it shouldn’t be that bad right?) and Android OS. The worst part is how quickly the phone will drain when it is just sitting there idle with the screen off, only chrome open, not being touched at all. Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

catsmeow1998

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It feels like it's been happening for about the last few months or so. I have had 2 batteries since I got the phone and hardly ever needed to change them. Then suddenly the battery starting dying faster and faster. Someone in another post said the same is happening to them.

My phone also gets very hot if I spend to more than 30 mins using it, especially with reviewing pictures, taking photos or using google maps.

I looked at the settings and battery. It seems to be my screen, but I've never had this issue & I've had the screen locked at 100% since the day I brought it home 3ish years ago. Only recently has it been an issue. I've turned it down now to 65% but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've deleted all apps I don't use regularly and I review the battery usage daily.

I think there was some kind of update to something with the screen that is killing the battery. Maybe LG did something like Apple did (slow the older phones down) so people will buy the new phones. Not sure, but I will not be purchasing another LG after this for this reason.

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Even though no longer use my LG G4 as our daily driver never had too many instances where overheating became a concern (its only ever had one hard reset since purchasing back in 2015). Recently purchased a new non-OEM battery (original OEM and previous 3rd party were weak) and it's now once again running like a champ - even though old batteries depleted fast phone still functioned normally with no additional heating issues when comparing to the new battery.

In comparison, own a Lumia 950 WP that's similarly spec'd (CPU, GPU, RAM, Display) with the difference in heat being generated during use being night and day. Must have lucked out with my LG G4 and how long that'll continue is anyone's guess.

On another note - has anyone tried a hard reset to see if that resolves your overheating issues? Might be worth a try.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Catsmeow, that sounds like a short on the motherboard. Unfortunately, no one troubleshoots to that level, they just replace the motherboard, and replacing the motherboard will cost as much as, or more than, a new G4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindaoliver