LG G6 .. camera is so bad??

Merciix3

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the 64GB Dual Sim (Korea) version. Regarding the wide angle camera, when you zoom (in the gallery, after taking the picture), can you understand the text? I do not understand (almost) at all - there is too much "noise". Is this normal for the wide angle pictures to be like that? I set the default quality to 4:3 - 13 MP.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I too recommend tinkering with the photo and camera settings. Try auto-focusing the camera before taking pictures, as well. Sometimes the odd photo will come out bad here and there, with any phone you get. I'm sure there are tips and tricks on YouTube, as well! :)

So everytime you go to take a picture tap the screen where you want the main focus point to be? I see people around me do that a lot but I just thought there wasn't much to it.

I'm still annoyed by how bad my low light pictures look. Earlier this month I went to a small concert where I was no more than 20 feet away from the performer and in my screen it looked like she was 20 miles away. I took a shot of the stage before the concert started and everything looks sort of ok but the three shots I took of the performer after that look terrible. But the two people right beside me, one had a Samsung and one had an Apple phone, in their screens it looked like you were watching the concert on tv, it was that clear. All of the lighting was correct, they had a close up shot of the singer. I'm looking over at their phones thinking "how in the heck are they doing that?"

Now we were told before the show since we were in the first few rows to not hold our phones up because it would distract the band so we kind of had to do a hip shot and I had my screen dimmed pretty good. But I don't know why I keep struggling with low light pictures. I just knew being so close to the subject these should be pretty good and they look awful.

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
In short, the G6 camera app is pretty rubbish. The processing that it does to pictures is horrible. Even my wife's G4 still takes better pictures than the G6. That being said, using the ported Google camera app has certainly made it a joy to take pictures with this phone again. Highly recommend it for everyone who owns a G6. I use it as my default camera app for everything except the wide angle shots. Give it a try

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
In short, the G6 camera app is pretty rubbish. The processing that it does to pictures is horrible. Even my wife's G4 still takes better pictures than the G6. That being said, using the ported Google camera app has certainly made it a joy to take pictures with this phone again. Highly recommend it for everyone who owns a G6. I use it as my default camera app for everything except the wide angle shots. Give it a try

What's the app called?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What's the app called?
Google Camera.

You can find copies kicking around, but the G6 boards on XDA have the most up to date versions.

I'll second that it makes a big difference... The HDR+ processing reduces a lot of the lower light issues that come with LG's own processing. Yes, you lose the manual modes and access to the wide angle lens. But you get back a main camera that gives much better pictures in most every situation. If you need a wide angle shot, switch to the stock camera.

There's a reason why so many people jumped on the app once the original dev figured out how to get it working on phones other than Nexus and Pixels... Google's imaging software is just that much better than anything else out there.

devaa

Banned
Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Thanks mate, yeah i barely even use front camera and dont care about it at all..
And honestly im glad they stick with ips lcd on the g6 not fan of poled and amoled display.. U know that burn in cra*

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
yeah, it's pretty bad. those reviews were way too nice. i posted my review here. way too much digital sharpening and noise reduction. u can't tell with in-animate objects. but it looks terrible on people. It has a really bad sensor, front and back. nex 6p shoots better even with 3x the iso.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I have a totally opposite experience with my G6. I think my LG G6 takes great photos, especially in the bright outdoor sunlight. I usually keep it set for HDR Auto which gives sharp shots for scenery photos and portraits. Low lighting can be challenging, but I think that's an issue with a lot of cameras. Just my two cents.