Looking for a sober accessment of the Marshmellow upgrade on the Nexus 7 2013

thenrik

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have both a Nexus 7 2012 and a Nexus 7 2013. The "sweetness" of Lollipop was pure poison for the Nexus 7 2012, it never should have been updated beyond Kitkat and turned it into a brick for most users. I rooted mine, went back to Kitkat and prevented further updates but I'm sitting on a pile of abandoned N7 2012 tablets, eventually to be rooted and donated to low income families.

My Nexus 7 2013 runs well with Lollipop now, very well, and as much as I'd like to install Android 6, I know the seniors and kids burned by Google with the N7 2012 and have no desire to join that club.

If Google is releasing a poison pill for the Nexus 7 2013, I'd just assume save the time trying to make a pig into a diamond, root and block further updates.

Whether you root, sideload or use a factory image, how is Android 6 running on your Nexus 7 2013? Acceptable performance is fine but please take off the blinders as we know Google will release OS upgrades to devices that cannot run them without horrible performance, never fix the problems and abandon them.

I was a true believer last year but I'm not walking into quicksand again. Google is not a trustworthy company.

What is your frank assessment of Android 6 on the Nexus 7 2013?

Best,

Tom

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 2013 so far.

Lollipop 5.1.1 was fine also. I only experienced memory leak with the early Lollipop 5.0.x builds.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I genuinely think things are snappier. Nothing has slowed down as far as I can tell. I haven't even done a cache cleanout which I had to do after installing lollipop. My only current problem with Marshmallow has been with the authenticating time connecting to my WiFi network. Before, it too me 5 seconds. Now whether on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band connecting to my wireless router, I'm counting 23 seconds to connect. Deleted both networks and started fresh, but same time delay. Outside of that, I haven't came across any noticeable performance hits compared to lollipop. After running 6.0 now for over 24 hours, I personally don't believe people are going to be in the same situation with the 2012 model after updating to lollipop. 6.0 doesn't seem as taxing on the 2013 model, and in my honest opinion, feels more responsive, but that's just one man's opinion.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I genuinely think things are snappier. Nothing has slowed down as far as I can tell. I haven't even done a cache cleanout which I had to do after installing lollipop. My only current problem with Marshmallow has been with the authenticating time connecting to my WiFi network. Before, it too me 5 seconds, now whether on my 2.4ghz or 5ghz band with my wireless router, I'm counting 23 seconds to connect. Deleted both networks and started fresh, but same time delay. Outside of that, I haven't came across any noticeable performance hits compared to lollipop. After running 6.0 now for over 24 hours, I personally don't believe people are going to be in the same situation with the 2012 model after updating to lollipop. 6.0 doesn't seem as taxing on the 2013 model and in my honest opinion, feels more responsive, but that's just one man's opinion.
I haven't noticed anything different with my WiFi connectivity. It's behaving the same for me

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it's kind of strange. Having a toggle menu, any toggle menu, and pressing wi-fi off and on from there is where I'm getting this time delay. If my wi-fi is off and I access it by going into settings, flip the WiFi switch to on, it'll connect to my WiFi in 5 seconds. Verified the same time delay with other WiFi networks if I use a toggle menu. Go figure! I'll play about with it and see if I can figure out why it's only happening with toggle off and on button widgets that I have on my main page screen.

Edit : known issue not just happening on the Nexus 7 forum. Nexus 5 owners are also experiencing this issue after upgrading to 6.0. A temporary fix by going into settings, location, access the top right menu, scanning, flip the switch to turn on WiFi scanning fixes the problem. Now how this affects a hit on battery life, I'm not sure, but when location isn't turned on, then I can't see it draining all that much power. The bug has been well documented by other users, so I'm sure Google is now aware of the issue with hopefully a fix in the works.

Last edited:

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
5.1 was fine on my n7 2013 apart from battery life, I flashed marshmallow soon as the image was up. Been 3 days now and first thing I'll say is battery life has improved so much, when on standby it barely drains but screen on time has improved a lot to. Haven't found any bugs and runs very fast and smooth and really like the new animations. You also have to remember this is a device that's been around for over 2 years now and with the new update it's as good as any newer tablet I think, and I have no blinkers on as I bought a brand new nexus 9 last week and returned it less than 24 hours as it was garbage with terrible build quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded a few days ago. So far, so good. It's as least as good as it was on 5.1.1............maybe a little better. Battery life when not in use is just stupid. Damn near zero drain. I'd say flash with confidence.

I might even try to flash an M ROM on my N7 2012 just for giggles.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I sideloaded a few days ago. So far, so good. It's as least as good as it was on 5.1.1............maybe a little better. Battery life when not in use is just stupid. Damn near zero drain. I'd say flash with confidence.

I might even try to flash an M ROM on my N7 2012 just for giggles.

Completely Agree. Battery life on standby has been much improved

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I'd say the battery life is just a tad better than it was on Lollipop.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 50550.jpg
    50550.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 112

madcrabs

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if it forces Google Now Launcher? My N7 2013 still has the previous launcher, don't really want to change that.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
For me battery life went down the toilet when I upgraded to Kit Kat, but then returned to normal with Lollipop. I'm at the point where everything is working fine and I don't want to chance big problems again. The nightmare of Kit Kat on all my devices broke me from being an early adopter of new OS's.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on Kit Kat. When I check system update, it wants to update me to 5.0.2. I avoided lollipop because of all the reported problems (plus it ruined my Nexus 7 2012). I have a Nexus 7 2013 now and don't want to screw it up. Do I have to do the 5.0.2 update first and then will get the 6.0 right away?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I also installed the the update with NRT and would agree on the battery usage improvement. Where I was seeing about 5% drain per day with 5.x when the tablet was idle with WiFi off, I now see about 2%/day.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm still on Kit Kat. When I check system update, it wants to update me to 5.0.2. I avoided lollipop because of all the reported problems (plus it ruined my Nexus 7 2012). I have a Nexus 7 2013 now and don't want to screw it up. Do I have to do the 5.0.2 update first and then will get the 6.0 right away?

I used the Nexus Root Toolkit (wugfresh) to go from 4.4.4 to 6 a few days ago. The process is as simple and easy as it could be. Like you, I waited out Lollipop altogether after reading about the many problems with the OTAs - I would especially recommend against upgrading to an early version of Lollipop such as 5.0.2. NRT comes with very clear, step-by-step instructions.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Completely Agree. Battery life on standby has been much improved

I'm back to seeing 5-6% battery drain per 24 hours with WiFi off and zero usage from everything - only "Tablet idle" showing up in the battery graph. Under similar circumstances, battery usage on my iPad Air 2 is near 0 - takes a couple of days to register 1% drain.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm back to seeing 5-6% battery drain per 24 hours with WiFi off and zero usage from everything - only "Tablet idle" showing up in the battery graph. Under similar circumstances, battery usage on my iPad Air 2 is near 0 - takes a couple of days to register 1% drain.

WiFi off, location off, tablet just sitting closed:

Screenshot_20151021-070637.jpg

Cyrilmak

Androidoholic
Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Yes you need to update to each new version to get to 6 if doing OTA. I have yet to even get 6 on my Nexus 7 2013 as I did a small security update first. All the images fail now. . Waiting on Google to fix this. . OTA is starting to bug me.

This is my second Nexus 7 2013 as the first died a miserable and common death due to memory failure. Now I had to get a 16GB version as I wanted a new one and not a refurbished one like the first. A little off topic I know.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I sideloaded the OTA for 6 and things have been pretty good. I've had a couple of odd crashes in apps like Google maps but did before as well. Standby battery life is a mix, sometimes it is outstanding and much improved and sometimes like it was before.

Was hoping that they would come out with another 7 but I can deal with this for another year no problem.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz