Looking for new phone. Some recommendations please

brownbiscuit

Jun 12, 2022
Visit site
Ok. So my current phone goes way back to the S5. Some places, even samsung treat them like they don't exist anymore.

The phone itself was bought 2nd hand done up by the local chinese shop. Absolutely no problem with it for the 4 years plus I've had it plus presumably it's previous life

I guess its usage is starting to take its toll on it. It had been operating "so-so" speed wise for some time. Can take calls text net and the few apps on have/need. Obviously not too much burden on it if it were to stay like that.

Up to now it hadn't enough space for the software updates for the phone itself, not to mention the recurring app updates.

So recently i deleted a few apps and made room for its final software update which goes up to the marshmallow 6. Something like that.

POST UPDATE: It's faster don't get me wrong but it will continue to pose the same problems as before. Lack of space, lack of compatability with newer stuff and now the phone is starting to turn off by itself at maybe 50% charge. Is that normal ?? IDK

Recently I bought top of the range set of ear buds only to bring them home and they needed an app to adjust all their sound and stuff. My phone was not compatible with the required app. So luckyily the shop did a "goodwill" refund

What I need my phone for,

Basics: Obviously Calls Texts and the net

The burden The big ticket stuff: To be on standy all day for calls, internet, apps, streaming and music and media. Yeah call it my human connection :D :D

It's a bit like a game thing yeah but I still want an actual phone. I use mine for training a lot too so that mean videos, fitness programs, music the whole lot as I say

I get my TV stations off it too

Also as you can tell by my use, it's gonna need a sensational battery life. The S5 before the recent update on a busy day probably get 3, 4 hours tops.

That's just breakfast like :D

Asking here first amongst you as I don't want to be going into the shop totally blank as I could accept anything offered to me and might be better alternatives

I've always had samsung but open to change. Not buying outright so I will probably go bill pay to cover it

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Pretty much any phone these days will be light years better than your experience with that old phone. I always recommend Pixel phones, and the 5a is known for excellent battery life. The Pixel 6a is coming soon, so it may be worth waiting a while longer.

The Galaxy A series packs a lot of punch for a good price. I have a Galaxy A32 5G, which has impressive specs and performance for such a low price. The A53 often gets high marks for flagship-like specs for about half the price of a flagship phone.

One good reason for focusing on Google Pixel or Samsung phones is the system update reliability. Most other manufacturers update their phones much less frequently and for a shorter duration.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Last edited: