major unknown problems w 2.2 upgrade!

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well since my 2.2 upgrade about 2 weeks ago, I've. Been not receiving my majority of my calls. The only way I know that calls been missed if they leave me a vm. My screen doesnt show any history. Very frustrating especially I run business off this phone. I'm in chicagoland so towers are not the issue.

Last Friday I spent all day running around to us cell stores and calling main line. They were all avoiding me and were acting like I'm crazy and didn't want to swap but did eventually.

New phone , few days later... same crap. Went corp store.. and rep installed again. He said should fix... nope! Same crap.

Call 800 #, talked to tech on phone and said yap major problem and samsung doesn't know how to fix it.

I'm so frustrated..anyone. have this issue and know how to resolve this?

ACLakey

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been having missed call issues with the 2.2 upgrade myself. Nothing to add other than I will be watching this thread.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If you've been working with US Cell, then my only suggestion would be to run some tests where you have people call you and document whether the calls come through or not. Then, roll your phone back to 2.1 and see if the problems persist. If they don't, then I'd say you have a good case to take to US Cell and/or sammy

MikeF509

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had my mesmerize for a little over 2 months now and am having the same problem, even before I upgraded it to the 2.2! I hope they can resolve this issue soon or I am just going to have to go with the HTC Desire or go to at&t :(

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
ALright... after over an hour with Samsung (claim never heard of this issue before BS) had me do 2 reboots? .. i dont know the fancy terms but:

First.. you will lose all your apps... so make sure backup whatever important info you can, and unmount your SD card.

- Turn off your phone

-Then you hold the lower volume button and WHILE push and hold the power button. You should be able to see the black screen w/ Samsung logo flash. After the 3rd flash let go of both buttons and it will bring you into a menu.

-Scroll down to the "wipe data" and push the HOME (looks like up arrow at the bottom) button.

-After it does that, start your phone like you normally do and go into the SETTINGS... then find the PRIVACY then do the FACTORY RESET.

Thats where Im at right now. So far as I know, Ive been receiving my calls but its only been 4 hours since I did all of this. Ill keep you updated!:cool:

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Dont waste your time... just received a voicemail... and i wasnt even using my phone.

Also all of my contacts are joined 4x on each name. Anyone know how to fix this?

Im going to shop for a new carrier right now.. Im done with US cellular! Pure garbage... crap customer service that only give me the run around and a $25 credit to my account while the hours and gas i wasted running back and forth and lost a lot of money on a referral I had for my business. Complete crap

burks12

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issues here. I am on my third phone with no new luck.
Us Cellular reps claim they have never heard of this problem, but yet the guy next to me says he is on his sixth phone for the same reason.

I was able to manually delete the mutable contacts from my Gmail account edit screen on my desktop. You still have to do it manually, but easier than on your phone.

Many with the same problem on Howard Forums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1708982-US-Cellular-Samsung-Mesmerize-Missing-Calls

Last edited:

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Dont waste your time... just received a voicemail... and i wasnt even using my phone.

Also all of my contacts are joined 4x on each name. Anyone know how to fix this?

Im going to shop for a new carrier right now.. Im done with US cellular! Pure garbage... crap customer service that only give me the run around and a $25 credit to my account while the hours and gas i wasted running back and forth and lost a lot of money on a referral I had for my business. Complete crap

Bounce...the htc merge is supposedly releasing on Friday...you should see if they'd swap for you.

Fwiw, I'm using the leaked 2.2 that's floating around this forum and I've not had a problem with missed calls.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That s good to know, I'm going have read up on the htc, but its not like US CELLULAR knows how to take care of there customers, so I'm not goin hold my breath.

I'm goin us cell store now to put my phone back to original program. Spent another hour today with US on, the phone. That's what they advised me since noone knows anything

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've only had uscc since mid february, and hearing this worries me lol. Fortunately for me, I haven't had missed calls with this phone. 2.1, 2.2 stock or otherwise. No problems that can be blamed on anything uscc or samsung did haha.

wired-turtle

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Sync settings

Hey all,
I had the same problem a while back and found that because I had email,gmail,facebook andtwitter all
Setup to sync all I got 4 of each but when I changed them to sync existing only all were back to one.
Not sure if its the same with yours or not.
Oh also if you backup settings with gmail (and when u start loading custom ROMs u will) then dont use that junk IMO mycontactsbackup. Big dup contacts if u do.
Hope this helps but if not ill say this uscc has the best ny far customer service in the buisness.
And no I dont work for them lol

gkeppel

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My US Cellular Mesmerize missed calls and did not show those missed calls.

I confirmed this because my wife showed the calls in her phone. She uses T-mobile, also my son said he called several times that did not show. He uses Straight Talk thru ATT, also I lost 3G most of the time where I had previously had 3G.

This all occurred after upgrading to 2.2 from 2.1

I went into US Cellulars office (4-25-11) and found a tech who knew about the problem. He said that Samsung was aware of the problem and had programmers working on the fix. No expected date for resolving it at that time.

He wiped my phone clean and reinstalled 2.1 The phone still did not receive 3G.

After conferring on the phone with another tech going through the process of getting me a new phone they found a fix for the 3G problem and so I left the store with everything working again. Of course I lost my after market apps that I had installed.

Luckily I use Gmail and did not lose contacts, or mail. Good luck!

gkeppel

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
PS: I have used the phone extensively since that rollback to 2.1 No more missed calls, phone seems faster than before and everything works great.

I do not plan any upgrades until I hear from USC that the bugs are fixed.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Well android central in general and this thread in particular are to be thanked for saving my marriage. :)
I tried calling my wife 6 times tonight and her phone never rang. Fortunately I knew about this thread and so when I saw her call log showing nothing I knew she wasn't ignoring me and was graceful not upset at her.
The frustrating thing was that I needed directions to where she was. I can totally see how this issue could cause someone to lose a client or customer.
I'm going to put her phone on this leaked rooted 2.2 that mines running and see if the problem persists.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well android central in general and this thread in particular are to be thanked for saving my marriage. :)
I tried calling my wife 6 times tonight and her phone never rang. QUOTE]

Well that wouldnt be as bad for me if the person calling me went straight to voicemail. When someone calls me, on there end of the line the phone actually rings 5 times or so... so the person calling me thinks im not answering and if they dont leave a VM, then Id never know they called. Im local too (Des Plaines)...

Well for an update since this past Thursday. I went to corporate store again... same tech... he knows of the issues like stated by others but theres no fix. I wanted to go back to 2.1 and he said theres noway he can do this...but by reading on here, seems like BS.

He reset my phone AGAIN.. did some setting and he said this SHOULD WORK... i said you guys tell me this everytime... gave me 2 options:
-swapping for a USED Mez that has 2.1 loaded

OR

-swapping for a NEW Mez w/ 2.2 uploaded from manufacturer..

I said screw the used...give me new. I left the phone as is... did NOT install any apps thinkning maybe one of the apps is the issue here.

As the weekend came by... i was receiving calls... as far as i know. BUT my emails werent coming in unless I actually refreshed.. including GMAIL.

Also from my backup contacts from Gmail... each contact was multiplied... 4 of each on joined contacts. At the store he did brought it back to 1 contact BUT a refresh logo on top of the screen with ! symbol (deleted too many contacts) came up. I removed the battery and deleted it from thrusday til today it popped up again.

While sitting here about 20 mins ago, I received a VM logo at that came in about an hour ago.

So summary... my phone has 2.2 installed by supposedly Samsung... left the phone as is.. didnt upload any apps... and its still missing calls and not uploading emails..

This is CRAP... US Cell is just giving me a round around... as far as 800 line.. kinda the same. I called samsung... NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE... but willing to swap out with a refurbished.. screw that! US Cell is offering me a loaner BUT it would be a basic cheap freebie phone.. WTF? Im paying $100 a month for this crap.

I think Im going back to a normal phone... screw this!

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Just talked to the local store... the tech said they now know how to bring back to the 2.1.. we can try that OR put me into a new phone.

The new HTC Mirage is supposedly not available yet... but I can go to the Desire. If I dont like it within 30 days ... and if the issue is fixed with the Mez... then Id be able to go back.

Sounds like a good compromise. Now I need to research the HTC first then go from there.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Do any of you have experience with htc desire? Should I swap my mez for the desire or should I go back to 2.1 on my mez? This is my first SMART phone..really have no experience. By reading reviews of desir seems like it has its own issues.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
You know I don't have experience with the desire, but I would stick with the Mez. Its a better phone overall, even if you have to use 2.1 for awhile.
If you think you might be comfortable doing it, you could try the leaked rooted 2.2, otherwise go with 2.1.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey bounce03x I sent you a PM...not sure if you'll get it since you have less than 10 posts. if you don't get it, click my username and shoot me an email, and I'll email you back with an idea.

Guybor

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey bounce03x I sent you a PM...not sure if you'll get it since you have less than 10 posts. if you don't get it, click my username and shoot me an email, and I'll email you back with an idea.

I'd be interested in your idea also. I just updated my Mesmerize to 2.2 thru US Cellular and have been missing calls very regularly. My brother (who tried the Desire and hated it) got a Mesmerize also. He got his 2.2 direct from US Cellular when he bought it and is having the same issues.

Questions.....
* Will going back to 2.1 get rid of this issue? It didn't seem to happen as much when I was on 2.1

* Do some of the "non US Cellular" roots and themes have this issue also?

Thanks in advance
Guy