major unknown problems w 2.2 upgrade!

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
According to dfgas on xda uscc/samsung are aware of this problem affecting a very, very small percentage of customers. (something like 1 or 2%) but enough to address the problem. supposedly they're working on a new rom or update to be released somewhere between now and when time stops.

I don't have enough android XP to answer Guybor's questions.
1. It's worth a try, being easy enough to switch back and forth with info in this mesmerize forum. (ODIN)

2. Dunno. Probably some. The OP usually points out what works and what doesn't, and the rest of the thread are propas and complaints lol. I still haven't been able to get anything to work without boot loops. I'm so fail haha.

And yeah, whats this idea...?

Oh, btw I upgraded from 2.1.1 to 2.2.1 thru Samsung Kies mini on my pc. Mine and my stepfather's (buy one get one free ftw). No problems at all since or before. Is that what they do at the store?

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
hey bounce, I back up my contacts with the default whatever. In the contacts screen go to menu >> import/export and you can export to sdcard. Then you can drag n drop into pc if you have one. Just don't open that file on pc haha.
Restoring contacts w uscc app gave multiples 1/3 tries.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'd be interested in your idea also. I just updated my Mesmerize to 2.2 thru US Cellular and have been missing calls very regularly. My brother (who tried the Desire and hated it) got a Mesmerize also. He got his 2.2 direct from US Cellular when he bought it and is having the same issues.

Questions.....
* Will going back to 2.1 get rid of this issue? It didn't seem to happen as much when I was on 2.1

* Do some of the "non US Cellular" roots and themes have this issue also?

Thanks in advance
Guy

Everything I've seen seems to indicate that it's a problem with the official US Cell/Samsung 2.2 update. So to answer the first question, yes I do believe that going back to 2.1 will get rid of the issue. You could either take your phone into the US Cell store to see if they'd do it or if you feel comfortable, follow the steps in THIS THREAD.

To answer your second question, I can't say with 100% accuracy that all the leaked roms/builds are not affected; there may be some that have buggy builds. However, I can say that I having been using the leaked rooted 2.2 rom found in THIS THREAD since before US Cell released their official 2.2, and I have not had any voicemails pop up with no incoming call. That's not to say that no one called me but didn't leave a message; obviously have no way of determining that; however, I have not had anyone tell me that they tried calling but I didn't answer.

To answer the question that both guybor and blackhawkcheef have asked, I don't have a supersecret thing to fix this, I was just offering to bounce that if he wanted to try the leaked 2.2, but wasn't comfortable doing it himself, I'd meet him at a starbucks and walk him through it, since we're fairly close in location.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
hey bounce, I back up my contacts with the default whatever. In the contacts screen go to menu >> import/export and you can export to sdcard. Then you can drag n drop into pc if you have one. Just don't open that file on pc haha.
Restoring contacts w uscc app gave multiples 1/3 tries.

Maybe it's just me and my way of doing things, but I never back up my contacts on my phone, since I rely solely on google contacts. I suppose if someone is using something else, they'd need to. I back up my google contacts on my computer, by exporting them from gmail, then saving the file to dropbox. If I have to wipe my phone or install a new ROM, I just sync with google and it's all good to go...no duplicates or triplicates. (probably helps that I don't do facebook either :) :D :cool: )

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well on Thursday, I went back to the store and they put me back to the 2.1. SO FAR, seems like Ive been getting my calls... but now my emails (aol and gmail) are not refreshng unless I actually start messing with apps or trying to send a text... almost like the phones in sleep mode until i start accessing menus then it usually refreshes.

USC told me that Samsung found the problem but may take weeks before its resolved. As Im sitting there ... 2 people brought there phones in for upgrades as I sat there lol... biting my lip.

SInce ive been having so many issues as is, id be worried about installing a leaked version , knowing my luck... ill totally screw the phone up and void out my warranty. I appreciate your help "run w scissors" but I think I may wait it out or just switch to another service provider that actually is on top of there game and actually has a WIDE variety of phones.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
...I think I may wait it out or just switch to another service provider that actually is on top of there game and actually has a WIDE variety of phones.

Keep in mind that verizon has had their problems with the thunderbolt, and other carriers have their own sets of issues as well. From what you've been posting here, I'd say US Cell has at least worked with you to try and figure this out. No carrier is perfect, and the guys working the counters are there for their sales abilities, not their technical prowess. Sprint is probably going to be the closest in price to us cell, but they have their issues as well.

Good luck to you whichever way you decide to go! :cool:

cobaltmarie

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Might be a bigger problem then they are aware of...

My boyfriend and I both got new Mesmerizes about a month ago. The 2.2 update had just come out, so we waited while they updated the phones before we took them home.

We love the phones, but we have both experienced this issue - along with another weird bug that caused our notifications to be silenced even when our volume was on the highest level. I found a solution to that one (change the notification tone to something else I think, don't recall the details but it was on howardforums) with some googling, but the missed calls thing is just plain bizarre.

I suspect this is a bigger problem then U.S. Cellular and Samsung are aware of, mainly because it happens so intermittently, and most people probably just attribute it to poor signal strength.

I have also noted that even when my phone actually rings, if someone leaves a voicemail it can take hours for it to show up as a notification on my phone. And once or twice the 'new voicemail' icon showed up in my notification bar and when I called my voicemail there was nothing. This all sounds a little too related to be coincidence.

Anybody else experience the delayed voicemail notifications?

ETA: I just remembered that there have also been errors in my Call Log. I am nearly certain that yesterday I answered a phone call from a friend and then later when I went to call her back about something I jumped to the call log rather than scroll through my contacts, and that incoming call was not in the call log at all. I remember this happening with another phone call as well. When I get my bill I'll have to compare the call log with the record of phone calls to see if this is really happening or if I'm just imagining things...

Last edited:

cobaltmarie

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I just called US Cellular and they said this is a known issue (they had to search for a while to get to that conclusion) and that a fix is supposed to be coming from Samsung in the next week or two...

NitroZip

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if my problem is part of yours. My Mesmerize puts itself in airplane mode, and shows a blue circle with a line through it for network connection. When I wake it up, I have to turn off airplane mode, then my connection is back.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure USCC/ Sammy will make some noise once they update is ready. It's been said that sammy has people working on the fix.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So ive been back on the 2.1 for a few weeks now... calls come in, emails dont... i usually have to refresh myself.... unless its AOL itself?

Seems like gmail comes in quicker but I just dont have the time now to transfer everything to my gmail account.

US Cells customer service is GARBAGE, they claim to have the BEST customer service... theyre bunch of lieing(sp?) idiots. Talking to them on the phone, telling me they were suppose to credit my account of $25 two seperate times, got my bill got only $25... call them and theyre all lies.

I have 2 weeks left with them.. need to research another carrier.

Even if the new 2.2 update, Id be wayyyyyy to scared to try it.. since this is my busy time and Im getting A LOT of calls coming in daily.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
US Cells customer service is GARBAGE, they claim to have the BEST customer service... theyre bunch of lieing(sp?) idiots. Talking to them on the phone, telling me they were suppose to credit my account of $25 two seperate times, got my bill got only $25... call them and theyre all lies.

I have 2 weeks left with them.. need to research another carrier.

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel.

Here's an idea...switch to AT&T and their wonderful customer service...let me know how that works out for you.

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you. US Cell has been nothing but great for me and several others I know.

bounce03x

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had every service and ATT has horrible reception indoors, at least for me, my mom still has it, most time sounds like she's under water. US has been great on there flip motorola , phones taken beating and when I work in basements and crawl spaces (I do heating air ) , I need something that's reliable when I'm trouble shooting.and answering calls from my clients. I may just go back to regular flip, and get wireless modem for my tough book and call it a day

1LCheapo

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Missed Call Problem Has Taken Long Enough

It is unfortunate that the lack of customer call quality has been put on the back burner for as long at it has. I read a post dated 5-13 that said the "patch" should be ready in 1-2 weeks. I just got off the phone with uscc yesterday and was told the same thing (1-2 weeks). Essentially, all that is happening is buying time. I truly do appreciate uscc call quality, customer service, and generally great reception. However, when this becomes a MAJOR problem with their top phone it should be addressed extremely quick. I do think that reverting back to 2.1 would generally solve the missed call problem but that's not what I signed up for. If 2.2 was not "ready" to be released then it shouldn't have been. Even though USCC says they have the same problem on 2.1 makes this even worse. Ultimately, they want to limit the amount of replacement phones going out for a problem that is specifically a hardware issue. Basically, buying time. It is however a shame that they are still selling these top tier phones to customers that have no idea of this issue. I am sure they would be disappointed to find out that they just bought a phone that misses calls. If for example, the electric company was experiencing power surges to 25,000 customers sporadically, I am SURE it would not take them over a MONTH to figure out what the problem is and to come up with a fix for it.If I were to email uscc about how I feel about this problem it would fall on deaf ears. I have this problem on all 3 of the mez in our household and they all have this problem, I am sure others are having this same issue and do not even realize that it is the $500.00 phone causing the problem. I know that there is a leaked version of the patch but quite honestly I am really not comfortable flashing my phone. Maybe it is time to really start thinking about a switch to verizon in 1-2weeks.

TimH

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
It is unfortunate that the lack of customer call quality has been put on the back burner for as long at it has. I read a post dated 5-13 that said the "patch" should be ready in 1-2 weeks. I just got off the phone with uscc yesterday and was told the same thing (1-2 weeks). Essentially, all that is happening is buying time. I truly do appreciate uscc call quality, customer service, and generally great reception. However, when this becomes a MAJOR problem with their top phone it should be addressed extremely quick. I do think that reverting back to 2.1 would generally solve the missed call problem but that's not what I signed up for. If 2.2 was not "ready" to be released then it shouldn't have been. Even though USCC says they have the same problem on 2.1 makes this even worse. Ultimately, they want to limit the amount of replacement phones going out for a problem that is specifically a hardware issue. Basically, buying time. It is however a shame that they are still selling these top tier phones to customers that have no idea of this issue. I am sure they would be disappointed to find out that they just bought a phone that misses calls. If for example, the electric company was experiencing power surges to 25,000 customers sporadically, I am SURE it would not take them over a MONTH to figure out what the problem is and to come up with a fix for it.If I were to email uscc about how I feel about this problem it would fall on deaf ears. I have this problem on all 3 of the mez in our household and they all have this problem, I am sure others are having this same issue and do not even realize that it is the $500.00 phone causing the problem. I know that there is a leaked version of the patch but quite honestly I am really not comfortable flashing my phone. Maybe it is time to really start thinking about a switch to verizon in 1-2weeks.

Same post as over at Howard Forums, YOU will have to flash any update, or take it to a service center to get it flashed. All carriers that have the Galaxy phones are having the same problems. If you think Verizon is the answer, let us know how bad it is later.

Reactions: john_v

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
There is a 2.2.1 patch now available to fix issues related to missed calls, sms and more. See your local USCC store.

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
So anyone who's run the update....are you having problems sending text messages? I updated my wife's phone on tuesday when the update was available for download. Now her phone is not sending texts. It will receive them...if I send her one, she gets it but I don't get her replies. (btw different phones, I'm not on a mesmerize anymore, so thta's not the issue) My phone sends and receives just fine, so I've narrowed it down to hers. She's going to try a test with a couple other people before we call in to customer support but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Anyone else having the same problem?

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Update with solution: tech support had her do a *228 (prl update) and now everything is working. I got a flood of text messages from her...no wonder she thought I was ignoring her last night :p

So anyone who's run the update....are you having problems sending text messages? I updated my wife's phone on tuesday when the update was available for download. Now her phone is not sending texts. It will receive them...if I send her one, she gets it but I don't get her replies. (btw different phones, I'm not on a mesmerize anymore, so thta's not the issue) My phone sends and receives just fine, so I've narrowed it down to hers. She's going to try a test with a couple other people before we call in to customer support but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001