Mic cutting out mid call, seems to be a widespread issue.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It seems to happen to certain states more than others. MN, SC, NC, CA and then it tapers off.

Issue 24019 - android - Galaxy Nexus mutes mid-call - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Supposedly this has affected other Samsung phones that use a VIA telecom chipset (Droid Charge is the other phone I have seen thrown around that supposedly does this). But there seems to be something regional. The frequency for some of the states seems way out of proportion to population.

MN here, I see at least one of you is MN and another NC. I suspect a quick poll here would match up somewhat with that link above.

bstealthy

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I've been following this issue for months and I've determined that after asking for several people's locations that are having this issue you will find that there are major areas/hubs in the U.S. that suffer from horrible mic cut out/one way audio issues.. Furthermore I should add that if you get screeching, chirping, feedback, people saying you sound robotic or underwater, popping or crackling in the earpiece I believe this all falls under the same issue

Minnesota
North Carolina
South Carolina
California (Northern California more specifically)
Colorado
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
A couple varied eastern states

I'm sure the samsung radios are probably garbage however, I'm almost convinced that this is most definitely a regional issue with towers/hardware who knows... Almost impossible to get Verizon to listen to me seeing as I'm just a lowly customer who couldn't possibly know anything

It would be helpful going forward if people could at least confirm that they are in one of the states mentioned above or if you live in a different state and have the issue

Also would help if you could provide who your service is under GSM (AT&T) or CDMA (Verizon)

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
First time this happened to me (So Cal) was today (4.0.4 update last week). I was on the phone in my office and suddenly the other person said they could barely hear me and it sounded like I was talking "in a muffled tunnel." I hung up and retried and it still happened.

Got in the car to go home, drove about 10mi on the freeway (I-5) and called her again. Still not good reception according to her. Got home and tried to have my DH call me and OMG! You could NOT hear him hardly at all and it was crackly and weird. I rebooted the phone and problem solved.

NOW HERE IS THE WIERD THING! I was dialing on my car bluetooth while on the freeway and the lady still said she could not hear me. Leads me to believe that it's not the mic at all but some sort of software bug. I drive this path to and from work every day (and talk on the phone during the 30 min drive all the time) and this is the first time it has happened.

Very strange. I hope Samsung looks at this seriously. I was ready to take my phone to Verizon tonight until the reboot did the trick. Odd! Better not happen again because I rely on my cel for business all day.... Katherine

Forgot to add, I don't have any sound software installed like Volume+ or anything.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It is not the mic, but outbound audio that this happens to. Since most everyone calls it a mic issue though, we let it go and move on :).

Your issue MIGHT be different, since it happened on repeated calls until a reboot. That could have been something else. Typically this problem is more random than that, and a reboot certainly does not fix it :).

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It is not the mic, but outbound audio that this happens to. Since most everyone calls it a mic issue though, we let it go and move on :).

Your issue MIGHT be different, since it happened on repeated calls until a reboot. That could have been something else. Typically this problem is more random than that, and a reboot certainly does not fix it :).

Good to know. It is behaving fine today so I am keeping fingers crossed that it's an isolated incident. I could not believe how it was so terrible sounding on every call in multiple locations until the reboot at the end. I was sure it was just a tower near my work or something. Good thing I am passing down my GNex to my DD and getting the S3. I can't afford to not have phone capabilities for hours at a time, whereas DD will just be missing chatting with her girlfriends...

Last edited:

Twist747

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. The "Mic Out" problem is continuing. I'm with VZW in NC.

Do you think the new SG3 will have the same problem (i.e., it's a Sammy Issue)? I don't hear this issue w/my Motorola friends & HTC Friends. I didn't have this w/my Droid 2 previously either.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. The "Mic Out" problem is continuing. I'm with VZW in NC.

Do you think the new SG3 will have the same problem (i.e., it's a Sammy Issue)? I don't hear this issue w/my Motorola friends & HTC Friends. I didn't have this w/my Droid 2 previously either.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Yes I think the S3 will have the problem or something similar. The droid charge had it, the nexus has it, unless Samsung changes to a different type of modem on Verizon I think it going to have problems.

load97

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Damn. I just saw this thread. I figured it was my VZW service mostly to do with it, although my wife's iphone 4 never had the issue. I just bought an iphone 4s yesterday. This issue was partly to blame, I've been dealing with dropped calls a lot since having the phone. I live in MN as well. Twin Cities area.

nalpakj

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
i disagree with any claims that this is related to signal strength. I have a nexus that has this problem and when the mic does cut out i can switch to speaker and the person can hear me...i can then turn off speaker and they will beable to hear me again. Also, if i use bluetooth either through my car or a headset it never drops out. If this were an issue with the signal strength then these changes wouldnt impact it.

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I just got my third Gnex, and the problem is gone! Both of the previous phones had the screeching and mic problem, even with good signal. This one has a slightly distorted sound occasionally- like it wants to start the screeching thing, but it doesn't do it. I am now convinced that it is a hardware problem.
BTW- I do live in ND

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
In MN and this happens to me a lot. It isn't every call but it does happen enough that people I talk to know to call me back after they can't here me.

bovineyard

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
i disagree with any claims that this is related to signal strength. I have a nexus that has this problem and when the mic does cut out i can switch to speaker and the person can hear me...i can then turn off speaker and they will beable to hear me again. Also, if i use bluetooth either through my car or a headset it never drops out. If this were an issue with the signal strength then these changes wouldnt impact it.

I have been talking on bluetooth with no problems, but sometimes when switching to earpiece, the other person can't hear me, and I have to go back to bluetooth, then they can again.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is the only way I can talk is with bt. If I use phone I get hello u there hello guess he hung up on me. At that point I'm screaming at my phone theme ready to slam against the wall but then I regain my composure
I have been talking on bluetooth with no problems, but sometimes when switching to earpiece, the other person can't hear me, and I have to go back to bluetooth, then they can again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Bastyon

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have had this issue since day 1 with Verizon. I went through 3 phones and am now on my fourth. I finally decided to wait until their was an update to see if they would fix it..after waiting for 6 months for verizon to release a patch...the issue is now worse. It used to happen maybe twice a week. Now it happens on any call I am on for more than 5 or 6 minutes. Has anyone come across any information about a fix for this?

chipinmyhead

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I have this issue too. I've had it since day one, the day the phone was released back in December. I was assured for a month, and even shown on the list of known issues in the VZW system, that it was a known issue and would be fixed with an update. Of course we all know that update never came, and 4.0.4 took until earlier this month. I still have the issue, along with a few new ones.

This phone is great, but it has so many small, irritating quality issues like this that really would be deal breakers if you knew about them up-front. SIII any better? I'm worried about the VZW bloatware for that phone. My dad has a Droid X and that thing is unrecognizable compared to my GN.

Strommer

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Just got my 4th Gnex, and it looks like I finally got a good one. The third one that I thought was ok, turned out to be more of the same. The part where it was almost going into the breakup screech thing soon went into full breakup on every call. I've waited a few days now, to be sure, and this one is perfect. Many calls later, some of them 30-60 minutes, and it sounds great. I am now a happy camper.
If you are having phone quality issues, I urge you to call verizon. Their customer service is very friendly and they are willing to make it right. They offered me a Razor, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The factory certified phones I received all looked new, so no problems there. I am pretty sure that there was/is a hardware issue with at least some of these phones, and they are passing around the same phones with the same problems. Eventually you will get a good one.
btw - I do have a SGS3 on order, but will now probably keep the Gnex ( hopefully with Jelly Bean shortly :p ) and give the new phone to my kid.

menelfloss

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
After going through three Gnex's since Dec 15, I just couldn't take it any more. My customers, friends and family were all lobbying me to get a different phone. I also thought it might have been a hardware batch issue.
Anyway, I went with the Razr and love how it works as a phone! I updated it to ICS first day so that helped. Only thing I miss is the panorama camera function.

Glad you got a good one!

jafels

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone continues to do this but my phone has not done this for months. Hers doesn't screech or anything but it does cut her off where the other person cannot hear her. I was wondering if anybody had figured it out or not....it would appear not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell