Microphone issue after getting wet

Angmoe

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Was riding my motorcycle in heavy rain today with my phone mounted on my handlebars... Now people I call cannot hear me, I cannot dictate a text message and google does not pick up anything I say. I tried recording a video and audio is very muffled. Everything else appears to be fine including charging... Any suggestions?

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Was riding my motorcycle in heavy rain today with my phone mounted on my handlebars... Now people I call cannot hear me, I cannot dictate a text message and google does not pick up anything I say. I tried recording a video and audio is very muffled. Everything else appears to be fine including charging... Any suggestions?

Buy yourself a can of compressed air at Best Buy and blow the mic and speaker holes out.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Phones are not designed to handle water (water resistance is just a gimmick, especially in your case), so don't be surprised if you require a repair shop visit to fix it. Depending on how far inside the water got, you could face ongoing problems as it starts corroding the internals. If you haven't already, get any data you don't want to risk losing backed up, and stay on top of keeping a thorough backup.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That was my only available option last night... This morning, all is working fine!
Thanks all

Yep hair dryers can work miracles in those type of situations, they're like WD40, they can fix things that seem beyond fixing :p

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
IP 68 is not a gimmick. Plenty of videos showing phones being water tested show this. Ip68 just means the phone can easily withstand being exposed to water for a bit. Obviously extreme conditions are more of a threat. So always use common sense even if the phone is IP68 rated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IP 68 is not a gimmick. Plenty of videos showing phones being water tested show this. Ip68 just means the phone can easily withstand being exposed to water for a bit. Obviously extreme conditions are more of a threat. So always use common sense even if the phone is IP68 rated.
Until manufacturers warranty for water damage, it's a gimmick.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's not covered if it gets water damage, but it's not a gimmick as it can save your phone over one without IP water resistant under certain condition .

I feel like "IP 68" is if you accidentally spill some water on it, or if you're out in a very light rain and want to check something. But otherwise, I don't take chances.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I use a vacuum cleaner to suck the water out of the phone--using compressed air will blast it inside further. Then I put the phone in a ziploc plastic bag along with a dehumidifier substance like silica gel that will create a very dry atmosphere. Leave it there for a few days to absorb all the moisture from the phone. Avoid heat and blowing into the phone.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I will not say it's a gimmick, but the fact remains that not one OEM will cover water damage in their warranty. So then, letting any water touch your very expensive electronic device is a risk you are taking upon yourself. If you expect your phone to perform like a car in the rain, then you must surround it with a water proof case of some sort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone