Migrating from S9+ to S23+ Help

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Hello! I'm finally moving away from my S9+ to a new phone, the S23+ (AT&T). I have androidcentral's article on transferring old data to a new phone bookmarked, but they reference 2 different methods of doing this - using google's cloud services, or using Samsung smart Switch. In the effort of being thorough and ensuring EVERYTHING transfers over, my inclination is to do both; however, will that just duplicate everything on my new phone?

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I think there would be a lot of duplication of effort. I just moved from a Note 10 to an S23+ with Smart switch and it was pretty straightforward. I actually did a partial transfer first, moving music and settings then transferred everything. This got a lot of my notification sounds right. Still had to redo custom ringtones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello! I'm finally moving away from my S9+ to a new phone, the S23+ (AT&T). I have androidcentral's article on transferring old data to a new phone bookmarked, but they reference 2 different methods of doing this - using google's cloud services, or using Samsung smart Switch. In the effort of being thorough and ensuring EVERYTHING transfers over, my inclination is to do both; however, will that just duplicate everything on my new phone?
Welcome to AC!
Definitely use both google cloud and Samsung
I would back up.your s9 to Samsung Smart switch on the pc then can restore everything to your s23, pictures are no longer back up by Samsung cloud so pc smart switch is the way to go unless you do Google photos or one drive and no they wont duplicate.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Definitely use both google cloud and Samsung
I would back up.your s9 to Samsung Smart switch on the pc then can restore everything to your s23, pictures are no longer back up by Samsung cloud so pc smart switch is the way to go unless you do Google photos or one drive and no they wont duplicate.

Do I need Smart Switch on the pc? Can't I just connect the two phones and do it that way?

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Also, the article I bookmarked talks about transferring the old sim to the new phone. I'm guessing that because my phone is so old I should use whatever new sim card I get with the phone?

kikbxr1969

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Also, the article I bookmarked talks about transferring the old sim to the new phone. I'm guessing that because my phone is so old I should use whatever new sim card I get with the phone?
Yes, the new phone should have a 5G Sim card that the S9+ wouldn't. I ran both Google and Smart Switch (via cable) and nothing was duplicated.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Ok so I followed the prompts on my new phone and it SEEMS like everything (smart switch, google sync, etc.) did their stuff automatically as long as I said yes to them. I'm going through my apps now to see what I'm still missing but at the moment my questions are:

1.) Outside of following the prompts in setting up my new phone, and activating the new phone, is their any additional steps I need to take to sync everything?
2.) My old phone still has the "Continue setup on your new device; keep both devices on and close to each other until setup is complete" screen. Does that mean my setup isn't complete or is that just my old phone doing that until I don't need it anymore and can shut it off manually?
3.) My visual voicemail can't setup because my "voicemail number isn't configured." But it doesn't prompt me on how to fix it. What do I do?

Any continued help is appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
Ok I was able to set up my visual voicemails after activating my new phone, but the voicemails from my old phone aren't showing up. Did I miss a step - how do I get the voicemails on the new phone?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I was able to set up my visual voicemails after activating my new phone, but the voicemails from my old phone aren't showing up. Did I miss a step - how do I get the voicemails on the new phone?
If not in visual voicemail how about regular voicemail through dialer?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok so I followed the prompts on my new phone and it SEEMS like everything (smart switch, google sync, etc.) did their stuff automatically as long as I said yes to them. I'm going through my apps now to see what I'm still missing but at the moment my questions are:

1.) Outside of following the prompts in setting up my new phone, and activating the new phone, is their any additional steps I need to take to sync everything?
2.) My old phone still has the "Continue setup on your new device; keep both devices on and close to each other until setup is complete" screen. Does that mean my setup isn't complete or is that just my old phone doing that until I don't need it anymore and can shut it off manually?
3.) My visual voicemail can't setup because my "voicemail number isn't configured." But it doesn't prompt me on how to fix it. What do I do?

Any continued help is appreciated!!!
That can happen with old phone not being completed just reboot and should go away.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I followed the prompts on my new phone and it SEEMS like everything (smart switch, google sync, etc.) did their stuff automatically as long as I said yes to them.
I found that pretty much everything transferred, but as I started to use things, I saw that some needed to be reinitialized. For instance, I had to-do list widget that integrates with Google calendar. It transferred. It looked right! But then I noticed, it stopped syncing. I wound up having to deauthorize it from Google then re-authorize it to get it back to life.

I also use a program called OneSync to provide more flexibility in syncing some files. I had to import settings, which didn't automatically transfer in terms of what to sync and where (fortunately, I remembered to back them up). There were some other similar issues too.

Overall, loved Smart Switch, but you'll probably stumble on a few anomalies. They'll be easy to fix.

Apr 26, 2023
Visit site
If not in visual voicemail how about regular voicemail through dialer?
No, the voicemails are not there on regular voicemail. Looks like these are just a local copy saved to the phone, but I'm surprised there's no way to transfer them over to the new phone. Are they supposed to transfer over?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your response - I'm guessing the "data from non-Samsung apps" not being backed up is why I'm having to re-log-in to all non-google and non-samsung apps to finish setting them up? It's been frustrating not remembering the passwords.
I usually use Google auto fill and Samsung pass to remember those password

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201