mobile networks

jshaw42

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S10 from Verizon. I get lousy service when I go Up to northern Wisconsin where, so I'm told, AT&T is king. I know Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses GSM. But, the S10 allows one to choose between Global, LTE/CDMA or LTE/GSM/UMTS for a mobile network. I have been using Global and have been told Verizon would prefer I use LTE/CDMA. That aside, would I get better reception up north if I select LTE/GSM/UMTS?

josegb2011

May 2, 2012
Visit site
No, Verizon doesn't use GSM so there's no advantage for you to have it on global. The LTE/GSM/UMTS will make it worse. I would leave it on LTE/CDMA for best coverage and speed on Verizon. if it was at&t or T-Mobile then the latter would of been fine.

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
There's so many different thoughts on that. If you're not traveling I've heard leave it on LTE / CDMA as it won't scan for the other bands and slightly improve battery life...

jshaw42

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Perhaps I was not clear in the question. Since Verizon gives bad service in up north and AT&T has usable service, would I be able to connect to the AT&T towers easier if I set the phone to LTE/GSM/UMTS. Would that be like roaming?

Philipmom

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If you connect to att towers as Verizon that is considered domestic roaming and you have a tiny data cap and they will turn off your data until the next billing period restarts. I did this with att in Maine off Verizon towers. You will only have connection off the att towers if Verizon has a contract with them to allow you to do so in that area.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone is on Global and I was told keep it there. Was on that when I got it but sometimes I think my signal isn't so good it'll go out and then come back it's weird. I still have to do the airplane mode thing and back every so often.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware