[MOD] Flashable buildprop edits (stock, stagefright, jit)

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
ok so i cant play h264 codec'd movies at all w/ jit only or w/ " the deluxe", ideas?

edit : or w/ the stock build prop....

did they work on stock rom?

Seriously, I've encountered a couple of places where streaming media will not load, no matter what build prop. However, I'm not sure they ever worked, even on stock, although they work on other Android handsets. Examples include streaming ORB using browser and media player, or winamp's shoutcast streams. Neither one works, stagefright enabled or not.
This stinks, I wish someone with a stock rom could verify some of this...

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, I've encountered a couple of places where streaming media will not load, no matter what build prop. However, I'm not sure they ever worked, even on stock, although they work on other Android handsets. Examples include streaming ORB using browser and media player, or winamp's shoutcast streams. Neither one works, stagefright enabled or not.
This stinks, I wish someone with a stock rom could verify some of this...

Post up some links, I'll test em out on my wife's stock phone.

Sent from my Optimus S...excuse the spelling mistakrs

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Post up some links, I'll test em out on my wife's stock phone.

Sent from my Optimus S...excuse the spelling mistakrs

I don't suppose you could try listening to the WUNC live audio stream using either "Public Radio Live Stream" or "NPR News" apps? I upgraded to ThundeROM 1.4 from 1.3 and now I can not get those streams to work at all.

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't suppose you could try listening to the WUNC live audio stream using either "Public Radio Live Stream" or "NPR News" apps? I upgraded to ThundeROM 1.4 from 1.3 and now I can not get those streams to work at all.
WUNC is not working for me neither from the NPR News app (ThundeROM 1.4). I keep getting a window that pops up on my screen with a "Received error: 351, -4" when i try to stream live. Other random stations (RAL, DUR) work, i wonder why.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
WUNC is not working for me neither from the NPR News app (ThundeROM 1.4). I keep getting a window that pops up on my screen with a "Received error: 351, -4" when i try to stream live. Other random stations (RAL, DUR) work, i wonder why.

OK, at least it's not me. Yes, I did notice that some stations work, but many give me the same error as WUNC. Public Radio Live Stream simply times out for WUNC and many other stations, but it also can play some stations. Finally, WUNC has its own app. All it does is play the live stream. I never liked it because it doesn't put anything in the notification bar saying that it is running, and it always stuttered more than the other two options. I tried it again today, and while it connected and played (unlike the other two apps), it cut out after a minute or two.

Hopefully someone on stock can give it a try and post results. I miss my NPR!

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Get the same error for WUNC on ThundeROM 1.4. My local NPR, (MPR, 91.1 KNOW-FM), works fine. I'll test it on my wife's phone when I get home tonight.

BTW, thanks for pointing me at the NPR app...didn't know about this one yet!

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Get the same error for WUNC on ThundeROM 1.4. My local NPR, (MPR, 91.1 KNOW-FM), works fine. I'll test it on my wife's phone when I get home tonight.

BTW, thanks for pointing me at the NPR app...didn't know about this one yet!

Thanks, and I definitely appreciate your help tonight on your wife's phone. In the meantime I sent an email to the only email address I can find on WUNC's website asking them if they changed anything about their feed recently. If it was just WUNC's feed that stopped working I'd bet that was the case, but it seems like a lot of stations' feeds via multiple apps haven't been working recently (but not all of them, as we've noticed).

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the deluxe buildprop found on post #1 of this thread (which if I understand correctly will keep JIT enabled but turn back on stagefright which was disabled in the move from ThundeROM 1.3 to 1.4) and now WUNC and the other stations that weren't working are working. This is strange as everything I've read about stagefright says that it negatively impacts streaming audio (for instance, Streaming audio quality suffers on Android 2.2; fix coming soon). The changelog for ThundeROM says that it was disabled in 1.4 due to video playback issues, but I'll gladly give up videos of farting cats in exchange for my NPR!

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the deluxe buildprop found on post #1 of this thread (which if I understand correctly will keep JIT enabled but turn back on stagefright which was disabled in the move from ThundeROM 1.3 to 1.4) and now WUNC and the other stations that weren't working are working. This is strange as everything I've read about stagefright says that it negatively impacts streaming audio (for instance, Streaming audio quality suffers on Android 2.2; fix coming soon). The changelog for ThundeROM says that it was disabled in 1.4 due to video playback issues, but I'll gladly give up videos of farting cats in exchange for my NPR!

I'm starting to wonder if there are some parts of thunderom that are expecting stagefright to exist, and therefore broken when it is disabled.
Certain streams seem to be having trouble for me that are supposed to work on stock Android (orb, nullsoft's own shoutcast support within WinAmp, etc), and I have stagefright OFF, which is *supposed* to bring back legacy support.

I don't have time to flash my phone back to stock now, but I'd really like to hear if anyone on a stock device can get those things to work. It would explain a lot of what I'm experiencing here... and would also explain why on Thunderom, suddenly some streams are magically "fixed" by enabling what is supposed to be the less-compatible decoder.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm starting to wonder if there are some parts of thunderom that are expecting stagefright to exist, and therefore broken when it is disabled.
Certain streams seem to be having trouble for me that are supposed to work on stock Android (orb, nullsoft's own shoutcast support within WinAmp, etc), and I have stagefright OFF, which is *supposed* to bring back legacy support.

I don't have time to flash my phone back to stock now, but I'd really like to hear if anyone on a stock device can get those things to work. It would explain a lot of what I'm experiencing here... and would also explain why on Thunderom, suddenly some streams are magically "fixed" by enabling what is supposed to be the less-compatible decoder.

lol theres no magic or mystery involved here ....

The reason some things work and some things don't is because of the format that the app is streaming it in. Let's take WinAMP for example because you used that as your example. If you look at winamp's description, it says shoutcast ONLY works on android 2.2. As you may or may not be aware, Google introduced new audio and video handling in froyo called stagefright. Froyo is the only version of Android that has stagefright.

Ok with the information above, winamp is streaming shoutcast in a format that's ONLY supported by stagefright, which is why it's ONLY supported in froyo (per winamps description). LG disabled stagefright.

Same goes for NPR. The version you'r downloading from the market see's your on 2.2 so it expects stagefright to handle the streaming video. Because LG disabled it, the audio or video your trying to play might not work.

LG has some lib files available for stagefright which is why when it's enabled some audio and video formats continue to work and some audio and video that didn't work will now work. Now on the flip side of the coin, some files that will work with stagefright off will cease to work with stagefright on.

Hope that solves the mystery.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
LG has some lib files available for stagefright which is why when it's enabled some audio and video formats continue to work and some audio and video that didn't work will now work. Now on the flip side of the coin, some files that will work with stagefright off will cease to work with stagefright on.

Hope that solves the mystery.

Only partially. If LG had disabled stagefright with their 2.2 release (are they the only ones to do this, btw? I'm under the impression that they weren't but not sure), then are you saying those apps wouldn't stream on a stock device either? Because that'd be news to me. I haven't had a chance to try it, but if apps like WinAmp say "2.2 required", yet Optimus has 2.2 stock, I'd think a lot of people would be kind of ticked off when they find out it still doesn't work, right?

Or is that what you mean when you say "has some lib files available"? Was LG's original rom partially stagefright enabled or something?
If so, will any of these buildprops return to that configuration? Or are they all on / all off?

I suppose finding out if any of this works on a stock setup would answer most of my questions currently.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Only partially. If LG had disabled stagefright with their 2.2 release (are they the only ones to do this, btw? I'm under the impression that they weren't but not sure),
Yes, LG disabled stagefright in the buildprop. AOSP 2.2 (android open source project) has stagefright and the system expects it to be there.
then are you saying those apps wouldn't stream on a stock device either? Because that'd be news to me.
Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying. I encourage you to try it.
I haven't had a chance to try it, but if apps like WinAmp say "2.2 required", yet Optimus has 2.2 stock, I'd think a lot of people would be kind of ticked off when they find out it still doesn't work, right?
Optimus has 2.2 BUT as i said above, the audio video coding of 2.2 was rolled back to the legacy version prior to 2.2. People developing an app for 2.2 expect stagefright to be there. I should note, Im not LG so i don't really care who's ticked off at them :p
Or is that what you mean when you say "has some lib files available"?
Nope, they have the lib files in place but a stock phone doesn't use them at all. As i said above, LG disabled stagefright. Also it appears the lib files don't support all the formats they are supposed to which probably explains why they disabled it. Also explains the inflated quadrant scores as when it tests the media portion, the codec isnt supported so quadrant thinks the phone processed the audio/video extremely fast hence the inflated scroe. It doesnt have any logic to account for if the media type isnt supported so was completely skipped.
Was LG's original rom partially stagefright enabled or something?
Nope, completely disabled.
If so, will any of these buildprops return to that configuration? Or are they all on / all off?
The stock buildprop in post 1 returns you to a 100% stock buildprop. Same exact setup the phone comes with.
I suppose finding out if any of this works on a stock setup would answer most of my questions currently.
I encourage you to do so. See my post above.

Reactions: dishe

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ksmith, so if I understand you correctly, if I have ThundeROM 1.4, I can enable Stagefright with the stagefright buildprop, then disable it by flashing first the stock buildprop and then the JIT buildprop? Going through this process, (flash stagefright, flash stock, flash JIT), will return me to where I started?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Ksmith, so if I understand you correctly, if I have ThundeROM 1.4, I can enable Stagefright with the stagefright buildprop, then disable it by flashing first the stock buildprop and then the JIT buildprop? Going through this process, (flash stagefright, flash stock, flash JIT), will return me to where I started?

Well keep in mind that these don't just change 1 thing at a time so if you flash the stock, your all the way back to a stock buildprop. If you flash JITOnly, you have a buildprop with stagefright off and JIT on.

These don't work in conjunction with each other so thats why i made 4 different options.

1) Completely stock. Jit off, stagefright off
2) JIT only, stagefright off
3) Stagefright only, JIT off
4) JIT on and Stagefright on

Depending on which option you flash, thats where you are. Doesn't matter what you flashed previously, only matters what you flash now.

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Also explains the inflated quadrant scores as when it tests the media portion, the codec isnt supported so quadrant thinks the phone processed the audio/video extremely fast hence the inflated scroe. It doesnt have any logic to account for if the media type isnt supported so was completely skipped.

^ ROFL!! So quadrant scores are TOTALLY flawed, then? That's really really funny! I knew the scores sounded fishy, but I didn't realize the scores were the result of a BUG!

Wow, really super informative stuff, KSmith, thanks for your helpful and patient responses!

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Nope, they have the lib files in place but a stock phone doesn't use them at all. As i said above, LG disabled stagefright. Also it appears the lib files don't support all the formats they are supposed to which probably explains why they disabled it.

Wait, so are the lib files on the AOSP different for stagefright than the ones we have? Are there formats that it supports that ours does not??

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well keep in mind that these don't just change 1 thing at a time so if you flash the stock, your all the way back to a stock buildprop. If you flash JITOnly, you have a buildprop with stagefright off and JIT on.

These don't work in conjunction with each other so thats why i made 4 different options.

1) Completely stock. Jit off, stagefright off
2) JIT only, stagefright off
3) Stagefright only, JIT off
4) JIT on and Stagefright on

Depending on which option you flash, thats where you are. Doesn't matter what you flashed previously, only matters what you flash now.

Great, so I can basically toggle between the stock ThundeROM 1.4 and ThundeROM 1.4 with Stagefright by alternately flashing the "JIT on" and "Deluxe" buildprops. That's good to know.

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

We kind of beat this to death already, but since I told you I'd test it on her phone, I did...didn't work :(. WUNC gave the same failed result, as did a WinAMP shoutcast.

So it's a stagefright thing, not a ThundeROM thing, (as we already determined, I know...just wanted to do what I said I'd do!).

Reactions: ccrs8

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
We kind of beat this to death already, but since I told you I'd test it on her phone, I did...didn't work :(. WUNC gave the same failed result, as did a WinAMP shoutcast.

So it's a stagefright thing, not a ThundeROM thing, (as we already determined, I know...just wanted to do what I said I'd do!).

Thanks shortyjacobs. Much appreciated. So LG shipped a 2.2 phone with jit disabled (eliminating some the speed increases that 2.2 reviewers were raving about when 2.2 first came out) and stagefright disabled (which while eliminating some buggy quirks, made it impossible for some types of media to be played...I guess I blame that just as much on Google for using software that wasn't ready for the big time). Bummer for those who aren't in to modding. If I had spent more than 5 minutes on stock and discovered that my WUNC didn't work...that phone would have been returned to sender.

I guess the answer is to always have the buildprop files on your sd card and flash them according to what you are trying to view/listen.

Immersion

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, Im new to the forum. I rooted my Optimus but havent installed a custom recovery.....

Cant we just rename the file(s) to update.zip and flash with the stock recovery???

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
varun2310