Moonshine now... What rom is the best to try

antone31

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Jellybeer is pretty bugfree..although I can't get wifi to turn on or work w it..I could I would be on it right now as it has a working camera for soap..if anybody knows how to fix the wifi let me know

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on digital dream was pretty normal, about what I was getting stock.

I'm running Hatka supreme right now and battery life is a little bit better than stock, but I have noticed that my screen flickers on occasion when typing or navigating the screen. Not sure if this is a hardware fail or because of the Rom, but looks like I will have to deal with it either way.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, Carbon and revolt are good roms. Anything by pio seems good.

With NOS I'm using the stock kernel. Still going smoothly.

Posted via Android Central App

I believe the PAC man port for the DNA is done by pio...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on digital dream was pretty normal, about what I was getting stock.

I'm running Hatka supreme right now and battery life is a little bit better than stock, but I have noticed that my screen flickers on occasion when typing or navigating the screen. Not sure if this is a hardware fail or because of the Rom, but looks like I will have to deal with it either way.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator
Device: Droid DNA unlocked, s-off, rooted, running Hatka Supreme Sense 5.0, Android 4.1.2

No issues with the camera or apps crashing on you?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No issues with the camera or apps crashing on you?

Nope. Camera and front facing cam works perfectly. No app crashes, no FC on any apps that I previously didn't have problems with (my banking app isn't fully compatible with JB lol). Only "flaws" are no zoes, and WiFi needs to be disabled and data enabled to receive and send mms. You will receive them, but they will not download. If you have both enabled, it will not switch automatically. Not a big deal though because I can switch to 4g when I want to send an mms or when I see that I have received one.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Camera and front facing cam works perfectly. No app crashes, no FC on any apps that I previously didn't have problems with (my banking app isn't fully compatible with JB lol). Only "flaws" are no zoes, and WiFi needs to be disabled and data enabled to receive and send mms. You will receive them, but they will not download. If you have both enabled, it will not switch automatically. Not a big deal though because I can switch to 4g when I want to send an mms or when I see that I have received one.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

That would be very annoying for me... I send and receive a lot of MMS all day for work matters (group text threads)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
That would be very annoying for me... I send and receive a lot of MMS all day for work matters (group text threads)

Ahh, yeah. I can see that being annoying. Haven't heard of a sense 5 Rom yet that has everything I want yet.

Jennifer Stough
Forums Moderator

wxrusss8

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm on day 3 with the nos ROM and everything is still running smooth. Battery life seems better than stock to me, with Power Saver on. I woke up at 6 yesterday and with moderate usage still had 30% at 9pm. Now I'm not sure if I want to try another ROM so soon. I would love a liquid ROM for the DNA.

antone31

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Im still running stock rooted with all bloatware removes and then some and I'm getting like almost 5 hours of on screen time. ..besides when I play candy crush haha...guess I'll stay on it til some of the aosp roms get updated

dplane

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Im still running stock rooted with all bloatware removes and then some and I'm getting like almost 5 hours of on screen time. ..besides when I play candy crush haha...guess I'll stay on it til some of the aosp roms get updated

Think im gonna do the same thing: debloat and run greenify. First phone I've ever owned where I have no real need to move away from stock (save for nova launcher). Still amazed how snappy this is on sense compared to the rezzie.

antone31

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Thats exactlyyy what I did... Run nova launcher and greenify (best app out!)..start at 100% and run that thing down a couple times to zero and your good to go...after u debloat make sure u check running apps and see what else is and unistall necessary apps afterwards

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been laid up here with a broken foot for almost a month, so I've been able to mess with my DNA quite a bit since I moonshined it. The first rom i tried was NOS. I wanted to give Sense 5 a workout, and see if I liked it. I did not. Well, I guess it was ok, but the battery life on that rom was horrid. It could just be a kernel issue, in which case swapping that would cure it, but the other big problem I had with it was with MMS. Specifically group messaging which is converted to MMS. I would not know if I received one, until I went to reply to the message, and had to tap on the message and see if there was a "reply all" option. If there was, I got a group message. I would never see the whole group conversation like I did on any other rom, stock or otherwise. That was NOS' final nail in the coffin, since I have a regular group that I would like to be able to use group messaging with. Also, side note on Sense5 roms, those install files are huge!!!! Almost a gig compared to AOSPs which are not even a quarter of a gig! But I digest......
I tried PACman which was very cool, except I had random app closings, not FCs, just straight up closing. I tried h/w overlay settings and it didn't really help. Also, there are a bunch of Paranoid Android settings about colors and dpi that I just don't care about. Other than the app closings though, the ROM was nice. I went to Carbon next, and that is what I am using still. No app closings, good custom settings, and with a different kernel, the battery life is better than when I first flashed it. Which wasn't terrible to begin with, btw. I also use Nova launcher for 2 reasons; I love the gesture settings (hiding status bar, etc) and the fact that I have more usable screen space for icon and widget placement.

Good day to you all!

Vivin Viswanathan

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I went to Carbon next, and that is what I am using still. No app closings, good custom settings, and with a different kernel, the battery life is better than when I first flashed it.

You can't do that! Leaving us hanging. Where did you find the Carbon ROM from and what kernel did you flash? I've been searching for a great ROM for my phone and I haven't decided on one that I like. Right now I'm trying PACman. I might ultimately end up using the Viper one, but I'm holding off since I don't want to settle considering there might be something awesome.

Thanks bud.

Btw...whatcha digest?

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Carbon is available at [ROM] CarbonROM HALO Linaro GCC 4.7/-O3 JB | Droid DNA > XDA

I'm running with the included kernel and have been pleased with it. I was also happy with Viper, but I was having a consistent issue with elevation readings in a GPS program I use, so I tried Carbon to see if the problem would go away, and it did. Each ROM has its advantages. Just a case of figuring out which one suits your taste.

Any bugs? MMS, camera, gps, force closes or resets?

Sent from my CM7 OG Droid using Tapatalk

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I switched from illusion CM10.1 because amount of the ridiculous amount of force closes. I switched back to hatka supreme, and couldn't get over the mms issues. I'm now running newtoroot sense 5 Rom with the newest cpalmer sense kernel. Man did I miss the sense camera and beats :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Any bugs? MMS, camera, gps, force closes or resets?

I'm still in my first week of use with Carbon, but I'm not having any issues. I haven't tried MMS. I've taken a few pictures, and I prefer the Sense camera, but this is still usable. GPS was the issue for me with Viper, and I haven't had any issue with GPS use in Endomondo on Carbon. Riding 160 miles on Saturday, so that will be a big test for the GPS. Since it is CM based, any known CM issues could obviously exist in Carbon as well.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm still in my first week of use with Carbon, but I'm not having any issues. I haven't tried MMS. I've taken a few pictures, and I prefer the Sense camera, but this is still usable. GPS was the issue for me with Viper, and I haven't had any issue with GPS use in Endomondo on Carbon. Riding 160 miles on Saturday, so that will be a big test for the GPS. Since it is CM based, any known CM issues could obviously exist in Carbon as well.

Damn :/ I had CM problems on PACman. Keep me updated because I really want to get away from Sense.

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Damn :/ I had CM problems on PACman. Keep me updated because I really want to get away from Sense.

On the MMS question, I just took a couple of pictures and sent them via MMS to my wife with the default messaging app and also with Handcent, and both went through without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174