More Apple Like. Still love Samsung...for now.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Why does Samsung feel like they need to follow Apple's practices.. Money. I get it.

That's what I'm seeing more lately and certainly more obvious then before. Seems like we are just getting a Note XR and like Apple charging a premium for it.

They have no reason to get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack, it's not like they paid out Billions for a headphone company.

The Note series is becoming more like an S series with an S-Pen or like the "S" in their line like iPhone XS. FFS, they couldn't upgrade the display and put 90hz? Let me guess the S11 will get it.

Having said all that I'll give them a pass because they give us Pre-Order Bonus and $200 minimum Trade-in. Otherwise, my phones will only be from OnePlus.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Why does Samsung feel like they need to follow Apple's practices.. Money. I get it.

That's what I'm seeing more lately and certainly more obvious then before. Seems like we are just getting a Note XR and like Apple charging a premium for it.

They have no reason to get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack, it's not like they paid out Billions for a headphone company.

The Note series is becoming more like an S series with an S-Pen or like the "S" in their line like iPhone XS. FFS, they couldn't upgrade the display and put 90hz? Let me guess the S11 will get it.

Having said all that I'll give them a pass because they give us Pre-Order Bonus and $200 minimum Trade-in. Otherwise, my phones will only be from OnePlus.

You are funny.
Samsung isn't the first after Apple to get rid of the headphone jack. Other manufacturer's have.
I think they see that people don't really need the headphone jack with Android audio and Bluetooth devices easily and readily available. I even found a bluetooth Aux adaptor at Walmart for $20. Bluetooth headphones can last 10 hours and charge quickly, and found for around $20 at Walmart with decent sound. I'm not talking about those who really want excellent audio, just regular everyday people who just want decent sound. Better earpieces are available if they want those as well.

IF and only if you really need the headphone jack because no other options work for you, then yes, passing on a phone without one will be a no brainer, but finding a decent one may be a bit hard. Don't even think of getting a Note 10, no matter the trade in and bonus'. Show your contempt for that by not getting one. And let Samsung know why.

Previously it was the S series like the Notes and now it's the Notes like the S series. I think they really wanted to get them all the same, maybe on a different cycle so they always have a new phone out. When someone comes to a phone store, they may want to see the newest phones. Samsung will always have a "best" phone available within 6 months of release. One that can compete with the iPhones and every other major phone out there.

That said, I'm tempted to get one now, but Tmobile has a big down payment for the new more expensive phones for my plan. Last year I waited and after a few weeks, it went down in price and no down payment. Maybe I'll just pop on over to one of the many Tmobile stores on release date just to look...

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The IPhone XR is a different phone than the XS. The Notes are are principally the same phone just different sizes. The XR is an LCD while the XS is OLED. And while the XR has better battery life it is thicker and widely considered a less desirable phone. I bump back and forth between platforms (I have a Max right now) and I don’t see why this argument continues....that the Samsungs try to be more iPhone-like. I’m probably going to buy the Note 10 plus and not because it’s copying IPhone.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

At the end of the day, it's probably a cost decision. Not that a headphone jack itself costs a lot, but keep in mind that implementing a jack, making it waterproof, and having it take up space are all costs they have to contend with. Especially since USB C is quite capable of taking it's place. Yeah, it's a little inconvenient as we all have headphones that use the old 3.5mm Jack. But Samsung has held out pretty long. They are including USB C headphones and if you really must use your 3.5mm equipped headphones, dongles are pretty inexpensive. In the end, it's not that different than when they switched from micro USB to USB C.

I also wonder if they may be able to implement noise cancelling ear buds the way Sony used to. They had extra terminals in the 3.5mm connector that allowed mics in the ear buds to pick up the ambient sound. The phone would process the sounds and add the cancelling track to the audio. It required proprietary ear buds, but didn't require the buds to have a separate battery/processing box which cut down the clutter. It worked reasonably well.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's probably a cost decision. Not that a headphone jack itself costs a lot, but keep in mind that implementing a jack, making it waterproof, and having it take up space are all costs they have to contend with. Especially since USB C is quite capable of taking it's place. Yeah, it's a little inconvenient as we all have headphones that use the old 3.5mm Jack. But Samsung has held out pretty long. They are including USB C headphones and if you really must use your 3.5mm equipped headphones, dongles are pretty inexpensive. In the end, it's not that different than when they switched from micro USB to USB C.

I also wonder if they may be able to implement noise cancelling ear buds the way Sony used to. They had extra terminals in the 3.5mm connector that allowed mics in the ear buds to pick up the ambient sound. The phone would process the sounds and add the cancelling track to the audio. It required proprietary ear buds, but didn't require the buds to have a separate battery/processing box which cut down the clutter. It worked reasonably well.
Didn't I read somewhere that the AKG noise cancelling earphones that come with it would plug directly into the USB-C for power? Not sure if processing would be in the earphones or phone. Sounds great but wouldn't this also be a power draw on the battery?

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Update to my previous post. Looks like some companies are already doing noise cancelling using USB C. Except that since USB C provides power, they just handle the nose cancelling within the ear buds or headphones.

stuckingoo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Everyone innovates. Apple copied widgets, big phones, wireless charging, fast charging and skinny bezels. Among other things. I do give them credit for Face ID which I think is way cool.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Motorola was the first to eliminate the headphone jack then Apple. Why do people keep forgetting that?

Because when  does something it’s the end of the world and has to make the news cycle doesn’t matter if anyone else did it before them, NO  is the devil!

So with that being said all the hypocrisy demonstrated by Samsung this year especially pulling all their ingenious ads will hardly even be mentioned by anyone.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Update to my previous post. Looks like some companies are already doing noise cancelling using USB C. Except that since USB C provides power, they just handle the nose cancelling within the ear buds or headphones.

Yup. My U12+ came with USB-C noise cancelling earbuds. They work really well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Didn't I read somewhere that the AKG noise cancelling earphones that come with it would plug directly into the USB-C for power? Not sure if processing would be in the earphones or phone. Sounds great but wouldn't this also be a power draw on the battery?
Processing is usually done at the end that connects to the port. It shouldn't use a lot more power than and an internal DAC unless the bump up the output but even then it should not be a significant difference in drain.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Noise cancelling is done in the headphones by a couple of mics that pick up the noise and then inject an opposing signal that cancels out the noise. On large headphones a separate battery is used to power the noise cancelling because the amplifier would use to much power and it also add resistance to the circuit which requires more power to overcome the resistantance. On wireless buds everything is powered by the buds battery. Most of the USB buds I have seen don't have noise cancelling, however it would be somewhat beneficial if they had a battery built in for the noise cancelling assuming they have high output. In some cases earbuds isolate well enough that you really can get by without noise cancelling. Also keep in mind that some noise cancelling setups alter the sound in a negative way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

They said they got rid of the headphone jack to gain extra battery space. I have no reason to doubt that claim right now. (Is there a teardown yet?)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. I thought I've seen it all until this thread.

Instead of people being angry about the headphone jack missing.. everyone is arguing over who did it first lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nictu