Moto X 2014 are folks happy with their ebony backs

Ron Iovine

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I will be upgrading my Moto RAZR M for a Moto-X soon. I had settled on black front with an ebony back based on the pics on the moto-maker website, but after seeing some of the ebony backs folks have received in the "show me your designs" thread I'm having second thoughts. None of them seem to look as dark & rich as the pic on the moto-maker site, the ones in the thread seem to show a very wide grain pattern with fairly light brown, wide stripes. I know from my experience with ebony on musical instruments, the best ebony us usually almost all black, with maybe some very subtle but still dark streaks. I like the ebony that is shown on the moto-maker site, it is still dark, with very narrow and dark brown/black striping. I was wondering, has anyone gotten an ebony back that looks similar to that or preferably even darker? Are folks generally happy with their ebony phones, was it what you expected based on the pics on the website?

Thanks

Last edited:

Haunted_Toaster

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: are folks happy with their ebony backs

I like the look of mine alright. Its about 50/50 on the dark to light stripes in the wood grain. Its not a true ebony for sure.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

It's lighter than I expected but still looks really good. Very happy I got it

fluffymangoes

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

its great. i think motorola fixed the wood peeling cause mine is perfect. it doesnt feel as great as bamboo, gets more smudges, but it looks really cool

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I loved the ebony, it actually felt better over the week I had it. But then I noticed a slight peeling on a corner. So I exchanged it for a Cognac leather, I love it even more!

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

I got my ebony yesterday. It looks great, however, it's a little slippery. Also, read the last comment and sure enough, my lower right corner is peeling up. I went into Verizon and actually loved the feel of the stock back. So, it's either get replacement in different color (rubber back), leather or wait for the Turbo.

Posted via Android Central App

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site

Here's a pic

Attachments

• lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    lh5.googleusercontent.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 74

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Hmm I just ordered a Ebony. I'm wondering if I should call and try to change to leather or soft touch

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site

Hi all, I will be upgrading my Moto RAZR M for a Moto-X soon. I had settled on black front with an ebony back based on the pics on the moto-maker website, but after seeing some of the ebony backs folks have received in the "show me your designs" thread I'm having second thoughts. None of them seem to look as dark & rich as the pic on the moto-maker site, the ones in the thread seem to show a very wide grain pattern with fairly light brown, wide stripes. I know from my experience with ebony on musical instruments, the best ebony us usually almost all black, with maybe some very subtle but still dark streaks. I like the ebony that is shown on the moto-maker site, it is still dark, with very narrow and dark brown/black striping. I was wondering, has anyone gotten an ebony back that looks similar to that or preferably even darker? Are folks generally happy with their ebony phones, was it what you expected based on the pics on the website?

Thanks

First - I don't have one and have only seen one in person. It was not anywhere near true ebony and absolutely not close to any ebony wood I have seen on music instruments.

Second - My understanding is that Bamboo is the only real wood used. The other three are just stained Bamboo.

Third - If you order it and you don't like it you can trade within 14 days. Motorola seems to have been very good about allowing changes if you are disappointed.

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

First - I don't have one and have only seen one in person. It was not anywhere near true ebony and absolutely not close to any ebony wood I have seen on music instruments.

Second - My understanding is that Bamboo is the only real wood used. The other three are just stained Bamboo.

Third - If you order it and you don't like it you can trade within 14 days. Motorola seems to have been very good about allowing changes if you are disappointed.

Bamboo is a grass, but you're right, the other 3 are stained wood. The ebony I had actually looked gorgeous. It felt slippery for the first few days but then it got better and I was able to grip it better. It actually felt more like those wooden desks in grade school.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I am! I have the white front and Ebony back. No regrets here! Order it up.

I'm keeping my order with the same color combo but I got to say I'm nervous as I just read the entire thread on peeling issues over at xda :cool:

geecka

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I am! I have the white front and Ebony back. No regrets here! Order it up.

Same here.

I'm kind of regretting the blue accents, but not enough to send it back and redo with another color...

I will say that the ebony back is a little more stripey than the internet showed it should be but I like it.

davinci27

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I ended up not a fan of the blue accents as well. Had to swap my phone because of the peeling back issue. New one is ebony and silver accents.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I think mine is gorgeous! Had it since February. I use a case on mine during the week because I work outside in a very harsh environment, but I take it off when I get home from work on Friday and don't put it back on again until Monday morning when I leave for work. I use a high quality conditioner on it that I use on my guitar fret boards.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Attachments

• IMG_20140207_085843.jpg
    IMG_20140207_085843.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 37

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm keeping my order with the same color combo but I got to say I'm nervous as I just read the entire thread on peeling issues over at xda :cool:

Its not a wide spread issue. Mine seems perfect!

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

Here are pics of the Ebony that I'm returning, the Cognac leather that I'm replacing it with, and my fiancee's Bamboo. Hope this will help!DSC_0832.jpgDSC_0835.jpgDSC_0837.jpgDSC_0838.jpg

TaiwanTeddy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

So why did you return the ebony? Just like the leather look better?

It started peeling after a few days, so I didn't want to chance it on my return since we're only allow one hassle free exchange.
After trying both, I do like the leather more. It's softer on the hand and looks & feel more luxurious.

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

It started peeling after a few days, so I didn't want to chance it on my return since we're only allow one hassle free exchange.
After trying both, I do like the leather more. It's softer on the hand and looks & feel more luxurious.

Sorry I missed your post above

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000