Moto X Play - Apps Freezing on Open / Working Slowly

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't believe I did anything. I haven't downloaded any new apps recently or visited fishy sites etc. If I leave an app for a couple moments it will eventually get to a "App isn't responding" message and if I tap wait it will eventually work.

Is there some way I can figure out what's going wrong?

Thanks

Edit: Wiping cache partition didn't work

Last edited:

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Didn't work
Also another odd thing, just today (this freezing thing's been happening a couple days) after rebooting, some apps aren't available for a minute or so after booting up. Just happened, where after leaving it for a moment after the boot up completed, I tried a podcast app which it said was "not available". Waited another minute and it was. Still froze on starting up though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There might be something you installed that is causing the instability. Unfortunately, this can be tedious to figure out, because it means uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away.:-\

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I haven't installed anything recently, so I guess... I'm SOL.

Are there good scan or diagnostic apps out there that can observe what's going on as I reproduce the error?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't installed anything recently, so I guess... I'm SOL.

Are there good scan or diagnostic apps out there that can observe what's going on as I reproduce the error?
You could check in your settings the battery stats, memory used by apps and your running apps (for this one you need to have the Developer Options enabled). In those lists see if there's any app that shouldn't be there or that is using more resources than expected.

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Screen is using most of the battery, and Android OS is using most of the memory but I obviously haven't used many apps.

I got an error bringing up one of them, reading :
Application Error
The connection to the server was unsuccessful. (file:///android_asset/www/index.html)

I suppose I could just factory reset, would be a hassle to get my music back on and set up my SD card which was pretty annoying

No diagnostic tools to recommend that might be able to notice something? Does it sound like a virus? Not really to me but I don't know. Asking because I'm anxious about connecting to wifi.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't say for sure, but it sounds more like something got corrupted, rather than infected by a virus. Even if you didn't install anything new recently, I wonder if it's possible that one of your existing apps got corrupted and is causing the instability. It's still worth uninstalling apps one by one to see if the problem goes away at some point.

OfficialJab

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
The problem has exposed itself - SD card not being detected. During this whole process I'm thinking the connection was just wavering hence the issues. I knew from the start that integrating the SD card or whatever would be a bad idea. I'll have to bring it to Motorola.

Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin_Markov