Moto X Style: is it worth it to upgrade from the Nexus 6?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Keep my Nexus 6 or get the Moto Pure Edition?

I liked my Nexus 6 so much I sold my Iphone 6, but now I am looking seriously at the Moto Pure Edition. As far as I can tell, for me, these are the differences?

1. Ability to use MotoMaker for a custom design, but there are nice Dbrand skins that you can use to change the back color of the N6. I currently have a carbonfiber on order.

2. Slightly less battery capacity on the X with a TFT screen vs Amoled.

3. X has a MicroSd but N6 has wireless charging.

4. Processors will be pretty much the same.

5. Screen is slightly bigger on N6 but X is slightly less wide. Weight is about the same.

6. X has some Moto apps, but I like the way the N6 notifies me on the screen.

7. Camera on the X will be better, but not really a factor for me.

Could be a tough decision!!

Update: Put a Dbrand carbon fiber skin on my N6 and removed the Spigen case. Phone feels fantastic. Will probably keep it until I can find some good reason to get the Moto X.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keep my Nexus 6 or get the Moto Pure Edition?

I have the Nexus 6 and am pondering the same thing. I was planning to skip Moto this year and get both new Nexus' - but they really made a compelling device.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I'd hold on to the N6 until the next large screened nexus or Moto X come out. If anything, your list further affirmed how nearly identical the two devices are. It would be a horizontal upgrade at best. Maybe next year's Moto X will be built for Android M so it'll have features such as a fingerprint scanner.

Posted via the Android Central App

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I wanted the N6 but was waiting for the price to drop since the new Nexus is around the corner but after seeing the X, it looks like a winner. MicroSD is where it won it for me. I don't care for wireless charging since its a pain and you can use it while its charging and TFT is all we have for the screen info. Until I know more, I'm going to assume it will be comparable to other high end devices.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Moto Display, Moto Actions, and Moto Voice are what do it for me. It's really hard for me to imagine having a phone without them.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

I hate to be paranoid but I'm these exploits floating around lately are making me seriously reconsider any phone that doesn't update patches quickly for a full 24 months. We all know Moto currently is pretty good about that, but there's not as much of a guarantee that will always be the case as there is with Nexus.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I liked my Nexus 6 so much I sold my Iphone 6, but now I am looking seriously at the Moto Pure Edition. As far as I can tell, for me, these are the differences?

1. Ability to use MotoMaker for a custom design, but there are nice Dbrand skins that you can use to change the back color of the N6. I currently have a carbonfiber on order.

5. Screen is slightly bigger on N6 but X is slightly less wide. Weight is about the same.

if I had the nexus 6, I probably wouldn't get the Pure, there's just not enough to distinguish the two IMO ... I would however be very interested in the Nexus phone(s) coming out.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I plan on keeping my Nexus 6 but it will become my secondary phone. Moto X with a large screen and that unparalleled Moto software are the keys to me.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

I plan on keeping my Nexus 6 but it will become my secondary phone. Moto X with a large screen and that unparalleled Moto software are the keys to me.

This.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Moto Display, Moto Actions, and Moto Voice are what do it for me. It's really hard for me to imagine having a phone without them.

I miss it so much. I really do. Extremely useful features. Nexus will have to put out a pretty damn nice phone to keep me away from this new Moto X unless the camera disappoints in low light situations.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Motorola has spoiled me with their basically pure Android experience and they're very useful added features that do not spoil the pure Android experience but rather enhance it. I just don't know if I could ever do without the added moto features. So for me, the Moto X pure is going to be my next phone. As far as your dilemma with the Nexus 6 versus the new Moto X, I am with a few of the other people that have mentioned this, if I were you I would wait for the next Nexus phones to come out to make my decision. It will only be a couple of months and the Moto X pure will still be there waiting for you if the next Nexus phones do not float your boat.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I would wait til the new Nexus phones are out, and the Moto X phones are tested and reviewed. MKBHD isn't all too keen on the XPE's battery life, because of the QHD resolution. In fact, he seems more interested in the potential battery life of the X Play, obviously because of the bigger battery and 1080P screen. If you absolutely have to have the Moto features, I'd get the Play, otherwise, wait for the Nexii.

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I loved the Nexus 6 except for two things. It was too wide and it didn't have the Moto features. Like twist for camera. Soooooooooooooooo..... Yeah the Moto X Pure will be mine.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Buy the nexus 6 right now so we won't be envious of you having either a moto X or a 2015 nexus in a couple months.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Man I used to upgrade my cellphone every 2-3 years, but now it seems like everyone is getting new phone every year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Man I used to upgrade my cellphone every 2-3 years, but now it seems like everyone is getting new phone every year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Many upgrade multiple times within a year 😊

Posted via the AC app

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

While I love the pure is recommend waiting 2 years to upgrade. After all the nexus 6 is guaranteed to get android n and the screen on moto phablet isn't really an upgrade. 2 years from now the pure 3 could have: 6.1 inch 4k screen, snapdragon 830 processor with 4 GB of ddr4 ram, 32,64,128 GB memory plus 256g. SD card, and 4,000 mAh battery. Price at $400,450,500 add $25 for premium backing.

That sounds like a worthwhile upgrade to a nexus 6, and just think how good moto assist will be by generation 5!?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej