My initial thoughts on the Maxx

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Well after going thru 4 Galaxy Nexus due to signal problems Verizon sent me a Maxx which arrived today.

After a half day I have a few initial impressions.

Signal: This was the big one it's why I switched. Just walking around in my house the Nexus would fluctuate from 93 to 120 the Maxx fluctuates from 76 to 83. No contest Maxx wins.

Screen : Not as good as the Nexus but not near as bad as some would have you think. I will have no problem living with this screen.

Nav buttons : I truly miss the onscreen keys of the Nexus. It's not a deal breaker, just a preference that most won't understand if they haven't had them.

The phone feels different in my hand, not bad just different than the curves of the Nexus I became accustomed to. After time I'm sure it won't be noticeable.

Battery: needless to say after just a half day although I can tell it's better I can't honestly say how much better yet.

As for the rest of the phone I cannot give a truly unbiased and honest opinion until after the ICS update. After several months with ICS coming back to this is a downgrade operating system wise due to all the differences. I know this will change with the update so I really can't comment on overall user satisfaction until that time, to compare 2 different operating systems wouldn't be giving the Maxx an unbiased fair shake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Set2374

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I found that it took the Maxx a good 2 or 3 charges to prime the battery. I get a solid two days out of it with moderate to heavy use (including streaming an hour or two of Netflix). The Maxx has some weaknesses but endurance isn't one of them. It's a good but fairly average phone spec-wise, with solid build quality, good radio and killer battery. I can sacrifice a little on battery life, for a better screen--but that's just me and I work in an office where charging the phone isn't an issue.

Enjoy your Maxx!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I get an easy 2 days on 3G with fairly heavy usage. Stream Pandora for over an hour. Screen on time average 5-6 hrs.

via Razr MAXX

atlantar6

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I get 2 days. I am on wifi at the office and at home though, and have a smart action to turn off everything except phone calls at night.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow!! I'm officially impressed. 20 hours on,2 hours of screen time,a few voice calls and 60% left.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAX using tapatalk 2

jmarrale

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
i get 2 solid days on a charge and use wifi, Bluetooth, always on 4gLTE with mod to heavy use including the motocast streaming from my home pc

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Did you have that right off the bat? I'm going on 15 hours and I have about 40 left. Would LOVE to get close to 24 hours

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I recently swapped my Nexus for a Mazz at the recommendation of a tech support agent. I had quite a few issues with my Nexus. Overall I am VERY satisfied with the Maxx it fits good in my hand, the radios just work. No need to root and install a custom rom.

I will state that I prefer the camera on the Nexus, its like having a point and click in you're pocket. No waiting for it to focus, etc. Hopefully ICS on the Max takes care of this. The Maxx is what the Nexus should have been I hope Motorola builds the next Nexus with Jelly Bean. If they do I will take a serious look at it. If not I will hold onto the Max for awhile.

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I recently swapped my Nexus for a Mazz at the recommendation of a tech support agent. I had quite a few issues with my Nexus. Overall I am VERY satisfied with the Maxx it fits good in my hand, the radios just work. No need to root and install a custom rom.

I will state that I prefer the camera on the Nexus, its like having a point and click in you're pocket. No waiting for it to focus, etc. Hopefully ICS on the Max takes care of this. The Maxx is what the Nexus should have been I hope Motorola builds the next Nexus with Jelly Bean. If they do I will take a serious look at it. If not I will hold onto the Max for awhile.

You can fix any issue you may have by finding the right app to do what your wanting. Don't fault the device. For that kind of shooting download Fast Burst Camera from the market. Fastest shooting camera I've ever seen. If you want a slightly better focusing feature and effects try CameraMX.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

DriveEuro

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky to go from 5am til 5pm with my GNex. Never got over 1h45m on screen on time. Yesterday, with my new RAZR I went from 2pm Friday until 9pm Saturday, 31 hours. Screen on time was just shy of 3 hours... only catch, I had 4g on the entire time :D

Definitely not getting the screen on that some others are (4-6 hours)... but I think I can stretch it by sticking to 3g and WIFI more often. Maybe even use more SmartActions.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm now at 37.5 hours on, 4 hours screen on, and 30% battery left.

Granted its 3g as that's all my area has, but it beats what my Nexus did on 3g by 24 hours and about 1.5 hours of screen time, and that was with the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAX using tapatalk 2

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
When I plugged my phone up at 1230 this morning I was still at 80%. Had been off the charger since 0630 that morning. On wifi most of the day, not really using it much either. But my 4g was turned on the entire time in a 4g area. The only other phone to ever do that good was in the days before edge.....

kawana72

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
It's been funny since I got my Maxx. I used to have to use airplane mode all the time when I was at work even with an extended battery on my Epic 4G (1st Gen). With the Maxx, I don't have to worry about anything like that. Even though it wants to switch between 3 and 4G, I still leave work with around 50% after at least 8 hours at work. The radios on the Maxx are tremendous, and I can't see myself going away from the excellent reception of Motorola. This is the phone that makes having a smartphone awesome.

Reactions: rbess1965

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Time of death 2:51 pm.

After a valiant 42.25 hour fight with 5.41 hours of screen on time the attending smart phone user called it when Maxx's battery could no longer power his operating system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX via Tapatalk 2