My New Droid X Is Suddenly Slow

Aug 15, 2010
dollardrip.com
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums here. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I received my Droid X about a week ago and loved it. The operating system was very fast and everything ran smoothly. All of a sudden though normal functions have been going very slowly. I've only downloaded about 5 apps and have virtually no media on the phone. My text messages freeze up and if I go to my contacts the pictures take a long time to appear. If I go to select a checkmark that lags as well.

I have also been having problems with the screen freezing in a dimmed light where I can see the icons vaguely but can't access anything.

It's also very annoying that all of these preinstalled apps can't be deleted. Could they make my phone run slower?

What do you guys suggest I do to get my phone running fast?

Please help!!! :(

Mark Denney

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You didn't say anything about the app Advanced Task Killer. If you don't have it then download Advanced Task Killer. Then run it this should take care of your problem.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you restarted the phone? It's nothing that you should have to do on a regular basis, but sometimes any piece of computer ware can get bugged up. I think that Advanced Task Killer is exactly what its name implies...Advanced. I'd save that for later. Reboot first, then maybe look at installing LauncherPro for your UI. Many feel it's smoother than stock. If you don't like it, delete it.

Also, what 5 apps have you downloaded?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
But then task killers can also do bad things also. Its a catch 22. I had it on my phone for a few weeks and would hit the kill widget all the time. I had random rebooting daily and freeze ups. Since deleting the killer i've had no reboots and have better battery life cause im not killing apps to only have the start again. As far as speed i've never had a real slow down with my test numbers always over 1,200 running 5 screens and pages of widgets. Try the killer but if you find rebooting and lock ups delete it.

Sent from my Rooted DROIDX using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2010
dollardrip.com
Have you restarted the phone? It's nothing that you should have to do on a regular basis, but sometimes any piece of computer ware can get bugged up. I think that Advanced Task Killer is exactly what its name implies...Advanced. I'd save that for later. Reboot first, then maybe look at installing LauncherPro for your UI. Many feel it's smoother than stock. If you don't like it, delete it.

Also, what 5 apps have you downloaded?

I have restarted it multiple times. It's been freezing a lot lately too and forcing me to take the battery out.

I have downloaded advanced task killer and unselected all of the apps that were running.

The apps that I've download are advanced task killer, google maps, facebook, paper toss and flashlight.

I can't really seem to identify the problem. I've tried going into running services and selecting "stop" on a lot of the things running such as Weather, etc. but it seems that they just restart again anyway.

I love the phone but I'm getting very frustrated. I hope you guys can help me.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Launcherpro will definitely make it feel like a much faster phone and great things to change using it.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Since u have atk on your phone delete it for a week and see if it gets better. Worked for me. Atk never gave me a problem on my old droid but has gave me issues on the X.

Aug 15, 2010
dollardrip.com
Thanks for all your replies guys. I deleted ATK and also installer LauncherPro. Here's the thing...LauncherPro seems fast maneuvering around my phone and selecting icons even messaging. However, once I'm in my messages and click on a text message the screen goes black and takes about 10 seconds before it loads and lets me type. I have no texts because I thought maybe that was the reason it was lagging but it isn't.

Also, when choosing a contact to send the text message to...when you start typing a contact, do you know how you start typing and it starts autosuggesting your contacts so you can just click on one? When I first got my phone this was so fast but now I could type a name in and it takes about 25 seconds before it comes up suggested to click on.

Any ideas?

tech42er#AC

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine with an Incredible had the exact same problem (incredibly slow loading of contacts and messages after a week or so of having the phone). The phone became unusuable and eventually everything (even Sense itself) force-closed. A hard reset (and not reinstalling the facebook app) fixed the problem, so I'd suggest that.

benjiprice#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
On a recent Twig (this week in google) podcast Leo Laporte talked about his droidx slowing down and specifically mentioned lag with the SMS app. I think it was the show one from 8/4.

Anyway, he wiped his phone and it seemed to be ok after that. Not sure what the actual cause was. He suspect some app...Dunno.

Aug 15, 2010
dollardrip.com
On a recent Twig (this week in google) podcast Leo Laporte talked about his droidx slowing down and specifically mentioned lag with the SMS app. I think it was the show one from 8/4.

Anyway, he wiped his phone and it seemed to be ok after that. Not sure what the actual cause was. He suspect some app...Dunno.

How do you "swipe" your phone? Is this the same as a hard reset? Should I try this?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest deleting facebook and atk first, reboot and see how it runs. You can always add them back later if you want. Many have had sluggish issues related to these two.

duffyanneal

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
An Android phone is really nothing more than a small computer. Occasionally, something will go wrong and the system will act up. It could be as simple as a file that was corrupted when the battery was pulled or installing/uninstalling an app. Anyways, I would recommend wiping the phone. Get there by going into Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset. Keep in mind this will delete everything from the phone (you SD card will be OK).

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

[hijack]

I miss The Screen Savers.

[/hijack]

Aug 15, 2010
dollardrip.com
Hey everyone.

I did a factory reset on my Droid X and everything is perfect.

I just want to report that it was absolutely without a doubt the Advanced Task Killer that messed it up. I've reinstalled everything (including Facebook) and the phone is working perfectly again.

Thanks for your help guys!

-Steve

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced this slowing of sms on the droid x. I've wiped it back to factory and it cleared up, but in a couple days its back to a 35 second wait for a chat thread containing only 7 lines of conversation. Id really like to know what's doing it. I already turned off advanced task killers auto-startup, thinking it might be the issue

I don't have the nativeFacebook registered (therefore no fb contacts), and removed 100 of 200 contacts from my gmail " my contacts " group so they wouldn't fill up the phone with people and businesses i don't call. Still trying to find a solution.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced this slowing of sms on the droid x. I've wiped it back to factory and it cleared up, but in a couple days its back to a 35 second wait for a chat thread containing only 7 lines of conversation. Id really like to know what's doing it. I already turned off advanced task killers auto-startup, thinking it might be the issue

I don't have the nativeFacebook registered (therefore no fb contacts), and removed 100 of 200 contacts from my gmail " my contacts " group so they wouldn't fill up the phone with people and businesses i don't call. Still trying to find a solution.

Try un-installing ATK and your auto-start.