Need an honest answer about the Galaxy S4.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
No one will give you that answer but yourself. I've played with both devices and I still love my GS4. There IS a lag sometimes in the interface (and anyone that tries to deny it is outright lying), so the One does feel snappier when handling the UI, but I still prefer the screen, the features, the 'feel' of the S4 over the One. However, THAT'S JUST ME. Maybe you'll value the unibody design over plastic or you won't mind the lack of SD card in the One. Or maybe you'll miss the AirView or Camera features of the S4 if you go with HTC's phone. Personally, I prefer the S4's camera over the One's, UltraPixel crap and all.

My advice? Don't overthink it if you already made a purchase. If you still want to scratch the itch, better go to a TMo store and ask to play with both of the phones and then decide.

BTW, I've been an Android user for many years now (since Moto's OG Droid), and I recently bought an iPad... Boy, do I get frustrated from the restrictive system that is iOS. You'll definitely love the great sharing options and how well you can tailor the phone to your liking and how much better multitasking works (like actually being able to EXIT apps).
Umm you can properly exit an app in iOS by toupee pressing home button holding onto icon then pressing the delete button.

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the One as I've not personally handled it, but the GS4 is a sweet phone. My wife has one, and it has me re-thinking my insistance on a physical QWERTY keyboard. I have also seen plenty of review sites out there that I trust putting the Samsung in first place of all phones currently on the market, though the HTC is usually second and the iPhone 5 third (a few sites do flip the Samsung and the HTC, though).

In the end, I think it's not unlike asking which is better, Honda or Toyota, Coke or Pepsi, Canon or Nikon, Visa or Mastercard. All of these companies make fine products, it really comes down to personal preference.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (T-Mobile)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I can attest to this, my 33 day old phone fell from my knee height onto a carpeted floor and the display cracked and the digitizer and screen are broken. This is an extremely fragile phone. When I took it back to T-Mobile the sales person said they are getting tons of these things returned with the same problem. If you're even a little clumsy as I am, I would recommend you avoid this phone.

Wow. I do keep all my phones in a case but I didn't realize the S4 was so fragile. I keep my S4 in an Otterbox Defender and I dropped it from chest height (I'm 5'6") onto asphalt and not a mark on the Defender or phone. Otterbox has a satisfied customer in me (can't wait to get the Defender for this Note 8.0).

Sent from my humble Note 8.0 LTE

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried the atrix and the nexus 4. Both phones chased me back to my iPhone. But so far I am very happy with the gs4. And I think its touchwiz. Maybe I am the only one but I don't like stock android.

But I still have my iPad mini for ios apps. That helps alleviate some of the frustration of android's flaky nature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
You're not the only one. I don't care for stock Android either. I really like Go Launcher Prime and that's what my S4 and Note 8.0 munch on.

Sent from my humble S4

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of stock android either. I like all the stupid gimmicky features Samsung packs into their phones. When I first got my s3, I didn't expect to use any of them. But every phone I've had since then that wasn't Samsung, I've missed them! I had the One and it was an amazing phone, it just wasn't the s4. I traded it for the s4 and I am happy with my phone :)

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any of the touch or air features. But I like the toggle shades and settings menus. And the whole ui just seems snappier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering about this. Before this phone I had the original note, I've dropped it a fair few times and it never broke or got any marks on it.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of stock android either. I like all the stupid gimmicky features Samsung packs into their phones. When I first got my s3, I didn't expect to use any of them. But every phone I've had since then that wasn't Samsung, I've missed them! I had the One and it was an amazing phone, it just wasn't the s4. I traded it for the s4 and I am happy with my phone :)

I had a nexus 7 for a bit last year and didn't get on with the stock too well. I found it a bit too plain. I know a lot of people don't like touchwiz but I quite like it. After using Samsung devices for a year and a half I've gotten used to the skin and all the guestures etc. However I tend to stick to one brand of phone for a long time. I started properly with mobile phones in 2002 and have mainly stuck with 3 brands Sony Ericsson, then Apple and now Samsung.

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've grown partial to Samsung devices over the past 2 years, which was quite a turnaround for me.

Sent from my humble S4

Ditto. I had a Samsung flip phone ages ago, hated it. Thet tucked so many functions in the weirdest of places, there was no thought at all. They do much better with Android phones.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (T-Mobile)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001