Question Need help, not receiving software updates in new s24 plus phone

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site
I bought this phone as it was advertised as unlocked, and it is but apparently after searching some forums I found that you need to be connected to at and t network to receive software updates even though the phone is unlocked and other sim cards work. Basically it just says software is already up to date even though its at the january security patch, also tried connecting with smart switch in pc and same thing.

The problem is I live in the UAE and bought from amazon here, so there is no way of me getting an at and t sim.

I searched around forums and seems the solution is to flash another firmware, but my question do I have to do this each time i get an update? Then I will lose my data every time.

Some solutions mentions changing the CSC code. I dont understand what this is.

If someone can help me get updates regularly without flashing firmware I would really appreciate it. Please help with steps as I want to be very careful.

I have attached software information of the phone.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 23.56.13_6639f93e.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 23.56.13_6639f93e.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 37
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 23.56.13_212d2e98.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-03 at 23.56.13_212d2e98.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 37
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 01.13.48_3fe53a91.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-04 at 01.13.48_3fe53a91.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site
What's the phone model number? Is this an ATT model (just carrier-unlocked)?
I have attached an image of what model no is shows when I click "About Phone". In amazon it wasnt mentioned as ATT or anything just that its unlocked, but im sure its ATT unlocked as in the service provider software information in picture i have attached theres something like GCF ATT and also in the box sticker there was something like ATT SKU. Im not completely sure tho.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Saw your updated picture and yes, this is an ATT model (I'd recommend editing the picture to hide the SN or delete it). Unfortunately, ATT models DO require the phone to be on the ATT network to get updates. So, even if the phone can take a SIM card from other carriers, the phone is limited to doing updates only when connected to WiFi AND the ATT network.

Even if not in the US, it may be possible to activate an ATT eSIM. The CSC 'trick' involves changing the carrier code on your device to 'trick' the network into thinking it's a different model (but, obviously, this carries the risk of bricking your device if the update isn't truly compatible with your version... much lower risk as of lately, but still worth noting). And far more advanced (and riskier) is just flashing a 'generic' image onto your phone, making it wipe out any ATT restrictions (but, again, you'd have to make sure that the OS image you're flashing is really compatible with the hardware or you may end up with a fancy brick).

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site
Saw your updated picture and yes, this is an ATT model (I'd recommend editing the picture to hide the SN or delete it). Unfortunately, ATT models DO require the phone to be on the ATT network to get updates. So, even if the phone can take a SIM card from other carriers, the phone is limited to doing updates only when connected to WiFi AND the ATT network.

Even if not in the US, it may be possible to activate an ATT eSIM. The CSC 'trick' involves changing the carrier code on your device to 'trick' the network into thinking it's a different model (but, obviously, this carries the risk of bricking your device if the update isn't truly compatible with your version... much lower risk as of lately, but still worth noting). And far more advanced (and riskier) is just flashing a 'generic' image onto your phone, making it wipe out any ATT restrictions (but, again, you'd have to make sure that the OS image you're flashing is really compatible with the hardware or you may end up with a fancy brick).
I saw some at and t forum and it seems its possible to activate at and t sim only inside the US

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site

It seems my only option is to mess with the firmware or csc code , would appreciate if you can help with that

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I have attached an image of what model no is shows when I click "About Phone". In amazon it wasnt mentioned as ATT or anything just that its unlocked, but im sure its ATT unlocked as in the service provider software information in picture i have attached theres something like GFC ATT and also in the box sticker there was something like ATT SKU. Im not completely sure tho.
That is the AT&T locked version. The US unlocked is the SM-S926U1. The US unlocked variant gets its updates directly from Samsung.

The CSC for AT&T in the US is: XAA/ATT or ATT/ATT

You can flash the U1 firmware. There are guides here on AC that can walk you through it. Because it is a U version, you can't root. However, you don't need to root to flash U1 firmware.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site
That is the AT&T locked version. The US unlocked is the SM-S926U1. The US unlocked variant gets its updates directly from Samsung.

The CSC for AT&T in the US is: XAA/ATT or ATT/ATT

You can flash the U1 firmware. There are guides here on AC that can walk you through it. Because it is a U version, you can't root. However, you don't need to root to flash U1 firmware.
Weird because other SIM is working with my phone. You can see in the picture I attached the CSC is GFC or GFC ATT. I'm not sure what this is. Can you help with what firmware I should flash for this exactly ? What CSC should the firmware have ? Also will I receive the next update through OTA if I flash?

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Weird because other SIM is working with my phone. You can see in the picture I attached the CSC is GFC or GFC ATT. I'm not sure what this is. Can you help with what firmware I should flash for this exactly ? What CSC should the firmware have ? Also will I receive the next update through OTA if I flash?
ATT is AT&T. Maybe that is why it is working. You are connected to an AT&T international network and the SIM you have is for a carrier that has an agreement with AT&T.

AT&T allows its devices to work in several countries without it being unlocked.

Is it GCF or GFC? The former is Global Certification Forum. Which is a United States CSC. I can't find any references for GFC.

You could also try connecting through a VPN to a US VPN server and see what happens. But, I think the UAE kinda frowns on VPN usage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Best bet to flash from carrier firmware to unlock that way you don't have to worry if it gets updates or not .

If you want to do that I can help otherwise return it if you don't go through the steps.

What they sold was sim network unlock not Samsung unlocked firmware which model number is U1 vs the carrier U at the end of the model number

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Closer inspection of OP screenshot someone flashed a certain CSC as the rest of the device follow model number s-926u
You can see under service provider someone flashed different CSC s-918u of what the phone is supposed to be s-926u

Even your model number is wrong it says sm-926u/DS that's dual sim which US doesn't have it suppose to be SM-s926u

You can straight this out by flashing with Odin but return it if you can
5b2422eb6cb081ebe37c13a5c8eb21d5.jpg
024f7d9821696e9de478bb36101b6c10.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ATT is AT&T. Maybe that is why it is working. You are connected to an AT&T international network and the SIM you have is for a carrier that has an agreement with AT&T.

AT&T allows its devices to work in several countries without it being unlocked.

Is it GCF or GFC? The former is Global Certification Forum. Which is a United States CSC. I can't find any references for GFC.

You could also try connecting through a VPN to a US VPN server and see what happens. But, I think the UAE kinda frowns on VPN usage.

GFC CSC code is generic to unknown service provider

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
GFC CSC code is generic to unknown service provider
Actually, he reposted the image. It's GCF. Which is like I said previously. We were all dyslexic in reading it.

GCF/GCF,GCF/ATT. I guess that is because he is on AT&T in UAE. If he was in the US, it should Say XAA/ATT,ATT/ATT, or something close to that.

AT&T has a large international network. Where I work, all of our WiFi hotspots AT&T and they are provisioned for international roaming. We have people travelling internationally regularly.

J0SH

May 3, 2024
Visit site
Closer inspection of OP screenshot someone flashed a certain CSC as the rest of the device follow model number s-926u
You can see under service provider someone flashed different CSC s-918u of what the phone is supposed to be s-926u

Even your model number is wrong it says sm-926u/DS that's dual sim which US doesn't have it suppose to be SM-s926u

Does this mean the phone was used? The box was sealed. I will try to get a return but not sure if I can, can I use this as proof?

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site

Amazing detective skills @mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Does this mean the phone was used? The box was sealed. I will try to get a return but not sure if I can, can I use this as proof?
You can try to use it as proof but be persistent on the return , you said Amazon you got this ? Why did you pick a US version? You're not in the US correct?