Need some tablet advice

BradTheGeek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My SO and I have 1st gen Nexus 7s (Nexi 7??). Mine now has a cracked screen and wonky digitizer.
I was looking at a shield tablet a while back, but read about too many problems and it was a bit out of budget. I just had to buy a car, so it is certainly out of budget now.

Looking for ideas in th 7-8 inch range. Preferably faster than the Gen 1 nexus 7. It was tolerable with KitKat, Lollipop killed it (we both downgraded back to 4.4).
New, used, refurb, do not care but looking for sub $200. I use it mainly for streaming, web browsing and light gaming. WiFi only is fine except for what I mention below.

As a side note, I am also looking for an additional (GSM/T-Mo/LTE phone). I use Ting and travel a lot. Since they now offer GSM as an option, I want to be able to switch to the phone that works best where I am. I am not sure I want to carry a phablet, but if there are any that could fit both purposes, mention them!

I was looking at this (as a tablet, not a phone), LG G Pad 7.0 Unlocked LTE Tablet - Computers.Woot
But I think it is likely slower than the N7.

Bonus points for easily rooted/ROMmed devices.

Thanks for your input!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was going to suggest one of the many Samsung offerings, until I got to the easily rooted/ROMed part. I have a Galaxy Not e10.1 (2014) and have been happy with it, except that now Samsung has SO many tablets and devices I get this feeling future updates are going to be scarce (sitting at 4.4.2 right now).

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I saw a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7. 0 on Amazon for about $100 Used when I picked it up 6 months ago I guarantee you they are cheaper now than they were then. do a search on Amazon and I'm sure you will find something good.

BradTheGeek

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I wound up getting an unlocked xperia t2 ultra. Nit the fastest, but sufficient and sort of serves both purposes.