Nexus 5: Battery Very Inconsistent - What's the culprit?

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery Very Inconsistent - What's the culprit?

I would agree that my battery life is disappointing when FB is installed. One of there processes (katana?) is always churning in the background and loves to eat your battery. If you must use FB use it in Chrome and uninstall that POS. My .02 cents...

Two other things that you may look for...Wallet has it's own location service that looks for "local" offers and seems to keep working in the background. Tapatalk's Forum Reader also seems to like to run all the time looking for forum updates you have in your profile.

Can you turn off the location service in Google Wallet?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

What triggers it, though? My FB sync and location reporter are all turned off. What causes FB to start listening on those bad days, but not on the good days?

You know what I mean? I'm not trying to be contentious -- just perplexed and trying to get to the bottom of it.

Might be Messenger

I don't know but I'm pretty sure it's doing something like that or the battery wouldn't drain. Maybe it just "wakes up" every few minutes and tries to do something.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Without proof it's hard to know for sure. Anything else is pure conjecture. Any number of things could be forcing a wake up that's causing a battery drain.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Might be Messenger

Without proof it's hard to know for sure. Anything else is pure conjecture. Any number of things could be forcing a wake up that's causing a battery drain.

That's true but we're testing a theory because we want to know, one way or another.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

That's true but we're testing a theory because we want to know, one way or another.

Then you would either turn off location services OR uninstall Facebook. You can't do two things at the same time and expect to know which one fixed the issue.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Then you would either turn off location services OR uninstall Facebook. You can't do two things at the same time and expect to know which one fixed the issue.

That's what he did. I'm waiting to hear the results. :) The one affects the other. Location on its own shouldn't matter but Facebook is a known battery drain. Sorry if our experiment isn't up to snuff.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So far, uninstalling FB has not stopped the battery drain.

The only thing that fixes this weird bug is a reboot. Then, my phone is back to "good" battery days, until the next "bad" day creeps up. It happens once every two weeks or so.

Still no where closer to knowing what's the cause.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If the above suggestions don't help download Wake Lock Detector from the Play Store and see if you can find anything that is causing battery drain. Sounds like something is keeping the device awake.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I have FB messenger turned off. In fact, everything FB is turned off; I set notifications to "Never" in the FB app.

EDIT: I see you might mean the actual FB Messenger app -- I don't have this installed.

I thought you were going to uninstall it? Oh well. You'll find out what it is sooner or later. :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I have FB messenger turned off. In fact, everything FB is turned off; I set notifications to "Never" in the FB app.

EDIT: I see you might mean the actual FB Messenger app -- I don't have this installed.

I meant both. :) I'm not entirely sure if Facebook is using the GCM service for Messenger or not, so it was worth mentioning I think.

I would take the advice of our esteemed Ambassador and install wake-lock detector and see if anything is funny.

I feel it's also worth mentioning that I used to experience battery life like you are for the first week I had the phone. I ended up unlocking the bootloader, rooting, and installing Franco Kernel. My battery life has been much better and far more consistent since then. I actually have idle power draw lower than my Moto X.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

Since there may be similar issues going on, I figure I'd link to my thread for the OP (and anyone else interested): http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/339246-nexus-5-battery-drain-20-overnight.html

I'd REALLY like to get to the bottom of this! Most definitely going to move forward with my RMA if something isn't figured out in the next week. I hate having to do this much research and troubleshooting on what is basically a stock, brand new device being used in a very average manner. I knew before purchase that the battery wasn't a strong suit of this device but I'd like it if I could at least get some ******* consistency.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I meant both. :) I'm not entirely sure if Facebook is using the GCM service for Messenger or not, so it was worth mentioning I think.

I would take the advice of our esteemed Ambassador and install wake-lock detector and see if anything is funny.

Yes, because the fewer people helping the better.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I installed a BetterBatteryStats to see what is causing the drain.

Unfortunately, I've already rebooted my phone which means I should be getting "good day" battery now. So, I'll have to wait until it has a "bad" day again to really know.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I installed a BetterBatteryStats to see what is causing the drain.

Unfortunately, I've already rebooted my phone which means I should be getting "good day" battery now. So, I'll have to wait until it has a "bad" day again to really know.

That's OK. It was better with Facebook automatic stuff turned off though? Or at least it wasn't too bad yet?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It's happened again. Notice before the reboot, how steep that drain is. Then after reboot, it levels out back to normal days. Still no clue what the culprit is. Wakelock patterns the same. Radio signal the same (I mean, same office at work all day). And no real different usage pattern today than any other day (note the time when the device and screen are off -- what is causing that steady battery drain?). This is all just like before and just like what I detailed in my OP. Don't know what causes this random quick drain that gets fixed after a reboot.

Android needs to get this bug sorted out because this inconsistency is very annoying.

Ke3SU5V.jpg

SguvIO6.jpg

saQN2OC.jpg

MkVsTheWorld

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
First off, have you tried Safe Mode and seeing how your phone does then? This can help identify if it's an app related issue. To enter safe mode, long press the power button while the phone is on then long press on Power Off and you'll be given an option to reboot into Safe Mode. Try this to see if you still encounter battery drains.

Which cellular network are you using? Also, how does it rate on Root Metrics in your area? Those spikes could maybe be cell tower overload during peak hours, which can cause your LTE modem to pull more juice as it's trying to keep a stable connection. The closer you are to a tower, the less this happens.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
That's OK. It was better with Facebook automatic stuff turned off though? Or at least it wasn't too bad yet?

The more I read these threads, the more I don't think much of the problem lies within the Facebook app. Sure, the battery will be a little better without the FB app and its' notifications, but I really believe it is much more than that contributing to inconsistent battery draining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d