Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

faustus01

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I got my wife a Nexus 7 for this Christmas and that morning after finishing the start up procedures, it went down and rebooted. It didn't do that too many times but soon enough over the past week, its been shutting down randomly and in some cases several times in a row while trying to access apps, and no particular app. I didn't buy her a case, so all the other comments listed here seem to be case/ magnet related. But that is not the case. It does seem to happen while its being held but not all of the time. I'm tempted to bring it back, but not sure if that will really take care of the problem. It is the 4.3.3 jelly bean OS system. What other options are there to consider. And what do the techs at Google, who develop the software for this have to say about it and what corrections need to be done to it. I'm not a person to go into the guts of a system to do any corrections, but I don't mind giving something a fair try if its something that will help .here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I got my wife a Nexus 7 for this Christmas and that morning after finishing the start up procedures, it went down and rebooted. It didn't do that too many times but soon enough over the past week, its been shutting down randomly and in some cases several times in a row while trying to access apps, and no particular app. I didn't buy her a case, so all the other comments listed here seem to be case/ magnet related. But that is not the case. It does seem to happen while its being held but not all of the time. I'm tempted to bring it back, but not sure if that will really take care of the problem. It is the 4.3.3 jelly bean OS system. What other options are there to consider. And what do the techs at Google, who develop the software for this have to say about it and what corrections need to be done to it. I'm not a person to go into the guts of a system to do any corrections, but I don't mind giving something a fair try if its something that will help .here.

Welcome to Android Central! It can be hard to pinpoint the cause of these random reboots. One of the first things you could try is a system cache partition wipe, which clears out temporary system data, and might help things run a little better if there was some bad or conflicting data left over from a previous OS version. You won't lose any personal data or settings: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

Another troubleshooting method would be to boot the tablet into Safe Mode--this prevents any 3rd party apps from running, so if the random reboots stop, then it could be due to an app you installed. If the random reboots continue, then it is more likely a problem with the system and/or hardware. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

wrj54

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem and it wasn't the case. I sent it back via RMA. I've had it back over a month now and no more issues. However, I now turn it off (complete shutdown) over night once a week. I read on one forum that the charge indication may not be correct if constantly left on. So you may think the charge is okay but in reality the device is out of juice. My device would say I had plenty of battery life but the unit would suddenly shutdown. I'm not sure if the factory repair (appears that they reloaded the OS but not 100% sure) completely fixed the unit and turning the device off periodically is a waste. But it's not big deal to turn off, so I'm sticking with that plan for now.
BTW, I did open the unit before sending the unit in for repair and the battery connector was secure. In fact, it had a strip of black tape to keep the connection tight.

liukaspulkka

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for this thread.The cover magnetic auto shut off lid was the problem. I was even able to repeat the problem by setting the lid to the position where the unwanted shut off appears. If I keep the lid in different position the screen works as it should and the intensional screen shut off is away! Thinking I was about to make a complain to the store. clad I didn`t.

Problem solved!

Steve Hamner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was absolutely going out of my mind with this issue, particularly with a few games. I had purchased a rather cheap case on Amazon prior to purchasing the device, and, sure enough, upon taking it out of the case I haven't seen the problem again. Guess you get what you pay for!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Please give more details. Do you have a case with a smart cover? If you fold the cover behind while holding the tablet, the magnet sometimes causes the tablet to go to sleep.

Posted via Android Central App

CMRUTA

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I am having this problem on our nexus 7 as well. Our case is not magnetic and it happens with or without the case, exactly as described by other people where it makes the turning the screen off sound, and then blacks out. We returned the device through a store protection plan and the new one started doing the same thing as soon as my wife's profile was used and it was updated. Are there any other known causes? She has removed almost all of her apps now and does things in airplane mode and claims it happens less frequently, but I've noticed she uses it much less and that's not exactly getting the most from her device anyway. Any advice would be appreciated. It's an original N7.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Could she possibly have some kind of magnetized metal that is frequently on her wrist or hand, like a favorite piece of jewelry?

CMRUTA

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Nothing magnetized, the only thing she wears that I can think of that would have any interaction is her fitbit wristband, is that possible? It was designed to transmit data manually but I don't think that ever worked. In any event she has that synched to her computer now and not her tablet. Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the Fitbit itself is magnetic, but it's easy enough to do a quick experiment--see if the screen shutdowns continue after removing the Fitbit and keeping it far away. Or take the Fitbit and pass it several times over the left bezel of the tablet (when in portrait mode), which I believe is where the smartcover sensor is.

Some Fitbit-like devices do have magnets that allow you to clip them onto any part of your clothing (with another magnet placed on the inside of the clothing). Does her Fitbit have a feature like that?

CMRUTA

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
No it doesn't and she further told me that the problem started a couple of weeks before her birthday when she got the fitbit from me, so there doesn't seem to be a physical source. Can you think of anything to try in terms of software changes or app changes?

Pliny the Elder

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Had the same problem but I think I've found out why. I believe its something to do with your book style case. Many tablets auto-shut down when the case is closed, I took my tablet out of the case for no particular reason and it works fine now. Its possible that our tablets were shutting down as we covered some senor at the bottom of the tablet when held in portrait mode. Hope this fixes your problems.

imranqureshiuk

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Hisense sero 8 pro tablet.
I had the same issue screen going off with the magnet on the case.
The case was the original hisense that came with the tablet too.

This only happens when folding the case back, now it doesn't happen when i leave the case flap on the side.

Thanks.

Davemcw5

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a Google nexus 7 (now on 4.2.2) that randomly turns off the screen. Not in a specific app, have done factory reset and still having this issue? is anyone else?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I searched and didn't see anyone else with this listed.

Davemcw5

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Just got my nexus 7 and the power off button keeps appearing out of the blue. The screen off is set for 10 minutes. Rediculous it won't stop.

camphoneguy

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I just replaced my old case, never had that problem before using the same case but I'll try that fix next time it happens. The case is the Poetic case that folds for a desktop display.