Nexus 7 stuck on Google logo screen on boot up

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issues. I tried the slap method and nothing! My poor fiancee is tabletless until we can get this resolved. UGH!!! J

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
At this point , it's pretty much been proven it's a motherboard problem. Nothing but servicing or buying a new tablet is going to fix it long term.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Have now experienced this problem. Color me skeptical that knocking the side a few times is a long term solution to this problem. Sigh ... I really love this tablet and it otherwise would continue to be fully functional for my non-demanding needs for quite some time.

anon(331524)

May 24, 2011
Visit site
wow ... having the same problem. If its a motherboard issue, the tablet is toast! Spending 200 bucks on the repair is utterly useless. Funny thing is, this thing died kept in one place. Damn, it served me well for over 2 years. And Nexus 9 is crappy! Sad sad day!

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
wow ... having the same problem. If its a motherboard issue, the tablet is toast! Spending 200 bucks on the repair is utterly useless. Funny thing is, this thing died kept in one place. Damn, it served me well for over 2 years. And Nexus 9 is crappy! Sad sad day!

Actually, the Nexus 9 tablet is much better than its initial release. In fact, having owned both the N7 and the N9, I've had more problems with the former than the N9. A bit pricey, but "knock on wood", haven't had issues with the tablet stuck on the Google logo as I do with the N7.

nx2975

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I just got off the phone with ASUS. They told me it's an OS issue and that the tablet's kernel doesn't support the version of Android I had on there (5.1, I think). He said this causes it to be soft-bricked and they'll revert it to factory settings for me. Is that accurate information?

cptsashimi

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with ASUS. They told me it's an OS issue and that the tablet's kernel doesn't support the version of Android I had on there (5.1, I think). He said this causes it to be soft-bricked and they'll revert it to factory settings for me. Is that accurate information?

I don't think so. Earlier I flashed the factory images and still had this problem. The only way I could get it to boot was with the knock method. My daughter hasn't been using it much lately so I don't know how well it's held up, or if it's still booting.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

nx2975

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
He did say I wouldn't be able to reset it myself because of the state it's in - that they would have to do it. It's well within warranty (2 months old), so it's going to be repaired free. It just sounds strange to me. I'm assuming if they get it and his suggestion isn't correct, they'll repair it properly before sending it back.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

I've stayed on KK 4.4.4 since its OTA with no problems until this past month. I seriously doubt that information is accurate.

nx2975

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I've stayed on KK 4.4.4 since its OTA with no problems until this past month. I seriously doubt that information is accurate.

So you were using 4.4.4 and still had the same problem? Thanks! I also spoke with Google customer service and they said the same thing - that information doesn't make sense. ASUS has repaired it under warranty and it's on its way back to me. I don't know if they just did the factory reset they mentioned or if there is more that they did. If there is nothing in the box telling me what they did, I plan to call and find out.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
So you were using 4.4.4 and still had the same problem? Thanks! I also spoke with Google customer service and they said the same thing - that information doesn't make sense. ASUS has repaired it under warranty and it's on its way back to me. I don't know if they just did the factory reset they mentioned or if there is more that they did. If there is nothing in the box telling me what they did, I plan to call and find out.

That would be great if you can find out what they did. I'm still contemplating fixing it myself or simply replacing the tablet.

J

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

The boot to Google fail has only happened twice. Last one a few weeks ago. It's accompanied by a system freeze (unresponsive touch screen) requiring a hard reboot. The freeze has happened about a half-dozen times.

Additionally, starting about two weeks ago my auto-rotate is a chronic fail. A reboot will restart auto-rotate (so it's not a hardware problem??) but within a day or so it fails again.

nx2975

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I think this may be a different problem - nothing I tried would get it to boot past the Google boot screen (I could get into the recovery mode, but none of the options there worked to get it to boot up fully).

J - I'll post here if I can find out what they did.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I think this may be a different problem - nothing I tried would get it to boot past the Google boot screen (I could get into the recovery mode, but none of the options there worked to get it to boot up fully).

J - I'll post here if I can find out what they did.

Thanks NX! Please do. My fiancee is dying not having her tablet working. I really don't want to have to mess with the motherboard as some folks here have suggested.

J

nx2975

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Their system was down when I called today, so the guy I talked to couldn't look anything up for me. However, from the packing slip that was sent, it looks like they replaced the main board (motherboard?). Also, The guy I spoke with told me the information I had been given on my previous call was not accurate and that I should update my Nexus regularly.

Anon1232

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Excuse me for my font size, but I see that the solution that helped me is not visible enough. Though I tried bumping the tablet, it didn't help.

02-07-2015, 12:45 PM Steve EE - Thanks, dude, you saved my tablet!

I solved the issue by:

Opening the back cover
Disconnecting and connecting back the narrower cable.

That's it.

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Excuse me for my font size, but I see that the solution that helped me is not visible enough. Though I tried bumping the tablet, it didn't help.

02-07-2015, 12:45 PM Steve EE - Thanks, dude, you saved my tablet!

I solved the issue by:

Opening the back cover
Disconnecting and connecting back the narrower cable.

That's it.

"Disconnecting and connecting back the narrower cable", do you know what color it is? Also, is it towards the top or bottom of the tablet?