NFC tag for wireless charging options...is it possible?

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
So, I have fast-charging disabled for wireless charging. Is it possible (with NFC tags) to setup wireless charging where if I put my phone on the cradle at work, it will charge at a regular rate, and if I put my phone on the cradle at home then it will use fast-charging?

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering why you would turn fast charging off?

I have seen some theory's that say fast charging hurts batteries - but have never seen it in practice. I used fast charging on my Note 4 all the time for 2.5 years and never had a problem.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Could just get a generic wireless charger for work.
I notice that wireless fast charging is only a little faster than regular wireless charging anyway. Plugin fast charging is much faster.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Could just get a generic wireless charger for work.
I notice that wireless fast charging is only a little faster than regular wireless charging anyway. Plugin fast charging is much faster.

Interesting, I have found the opposite. Regular charging is pretty slow. In my car, using a regular adapter takes forever to charge the phone. If I am using maps for navigation my battery continues to drain. Using fast charger in my car - the Note charges fast even when using navigation.

I have three fast wireless chargers (home, home office and office) all charge very quickly. I don't have a comparison with a regular wireless charger. I can't say how different the speed will be in charging.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering why you would turn fast charging off?

I have seen some theory's that say fast charging hurts batteries - but have never seen it in practice. I used fast charging on my Note 4 all the time for 2.5 years and never had a problem.

Fast charging means supplying higher current which then produces more heat. Heat will eventually be bad for phone/battery. The reason I want to disable fast charging at work is my phone sits on the charger whenever I am at my desk (about 90% of the day). At home, I just need to quick charge before I head out somewhere.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Fast wireless charging is only 1.4 times faster than regular wireless charging. The phone may get warm during the process, but probably is never any more hot than when playing a game for the same length of time. Furthermore, the charging process slows to a trickle when the phone is completely charged. If the phone remains turned on while being charged, I would imagine that the trickle charge is being consumed by the phone's system and idle time power consumption. So I wouldn't worry about leaving the phone on the wireless charger all day while at work. It shouldn't measurably hurt it.

Even Samsung claims that after 2 years usage, the N8's battery will maintain 95 percent of its original capacity.

The worse case scenario would be you get the battery replaced sometime down the road. Any repair place should be able to do that the same day.

Having said all of the above, what will more likely shorten your batt life prematurely is depleting all of its power before recharging it. Personally, I don't like to let my phone's tank get below 25 percent.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Fast charging means supplying higher current which then produces more heat. Heat will eventually be bad for phone/battery. The reason I want to disable fast charging at work is my phone sits on the charger whenever I am at my desk (about 90% of the day). At home, I just need to quick charge before I head out somewhere.
Of which has never been proven to effect a smartphone battery. I have read the studies and none have shown any battery life lost with the current fast chargers used today. They show a higher charge than what is used in today's fast chargers would be required to cause battery damage. My personal experience with the Note 4 and fast charging was fine with great battery life for 2.5 years.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
So, I have fast-charging disabled for wireless charging. Is it possible (with NFC tags) to setup wireless charging where if I put my phone on the cradle at work, it will charge at a regular rate, and if I put my phone on the cradle at home then it will use fast-charging?

Well, one wrinkle to your plan. NFC is not used in anyway for the wireless charging. I have NFC disabled completely and have no issues fast charging wirelessly.

You might try setting up something with Tasker. Based on location enable/disable fast wireless charging.

terobaje

Tero Baje
Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, one wrinkle to your plan. NFC is not used in anyway for the wireless charging. I have NFC disabled completely and have no issues fast charging wirelessly.

You might try setting up something with Tasker. Based on location enable/disable fast wireless charging.

Yes, I know NFC is not used for wireless charging, but, you can use NFC tags to do different things when phone comes in contact with one. For example, I can have a NFC tag stuck on my entry door at home and program it to turn Wifi On, Bluetooth Off, etc. when I get home and make a quick contact with my phone. In this case, I could stick one on the charger and when I place my phone to charge, it could detect that tag and disable/enable fast charging based on how I have it programmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbburns87